Target LEGO mark-ups?

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
morabeza
I'm New !

Target LEGO mark-ups?

Post by morabeza » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:06 am

I was at my local Target store in NC last night and I was shocked to see that all of the shelf prices on the HP legos, and several other lines had been increased significantly beyond MSRP. For example:

4866 Knight bus $49.99
5770 Creator Light House $49.96
4867 Hogwarts (small) $54.98

I wanted to take pictures because it seemed so odd - Could this be a mark-up to then claim they cut prices later when they lower back to MSRP? Are they going the way of Toys R Us with standard markups?

cowbug
Knight
Knight

Re: Target LEGO mark-ups?

Post by cowbug » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:25 pm

I have notices some Target regularly price Lego and other items, 5-10% over msrp. It seems pretty random but I think generally in nicer areas, maybe to cover higher rent and overhead or maybe just because they can get it.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:46 pm

I noticed the same thing here at some locations.

lawpepperdine
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by lawpepperdine » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Probably just trying to make up for "allegedly" Thomas Langenbach (aka Tom's Brickyard) and his ilk pilfering their stock at way below MSRP for way too long

Orangechef
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Orangechef » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Spotted this before at one of the local Target stores, but it seems to have started popping up a couple months ago on a few sets online too (for example Black Pearl at $107.99 and Maersk Train at $152.99)

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:19 pm

I saw the same thing for the first time last weekend. I went to portland oregon for the brick cascade lego expo. I live about 2 hours south. After viewing so many awesome mocs and other sets all day I really wanted to pick up a new set.

On the way home we stopped at a Target, Barnes and Noble, 2 Fred Meyers and a Wallmart...only the Wallmart had any lotr sets I wanted.

While at target I noticed crazy high prices I had never seen at Target before. At least 10% higher than msrp on multiple sets. Hopefully this isn't a sign of whats to come. I would be disappointed if Target turns into the next TRU. I don't even pay attention to toys r us anymore. Even their sales aren't usually a good deal.

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Deathleech » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:07 pm

That is really odd. I ordered the entire LotR line from Target.com and got all of them for MSRP exactly. I will have to keep an eye out on my local brick and mortar Target to see if I notice anything.

zak001
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by zak001 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:05 pm

I've seen markups on some sets - but almost all EOL stuff. HP Knight Bus, City Police Station and Fire Station, and Creator Lighthouse were all significantly above MSRP (20-25%). Meanwhile SW, Ninjago, Super Heroes and current City stuff is all at or slightly below MSRP.

I would bet they're marking things up in anticipation of their usual July clearance, hoping that they'll sell at the first markdown (25-30%) which will actually be just a few bucks below retail.

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Yep, the Pearl is $120 at Target here. I even had a dude with a scanner check it for me to cure my disbelief. Same price as QAR!!

dehnehsu
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by dehnehsu » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Our Mt. View Calif. Target sells at MSRP, which is probably due to competition from a Walmart across the street. A few miles down the road, the larger Sunnyvale Target is often more expensive.

UnknownUser
Knight
Knight

Post by UnknownUser » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Stevens Creek (CA) Target is like this too. From what I remember all the SW sets are marked up, but some others (Ninjago, Dino, etc) are not.

Luckily for me the other Target at Westgate Mall doesn't mark up sets...in fact, they seem to have a smaller selection.

just2good
Knight
Knight

Post by just2good » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:19 am

Mine has the 2010 Hogwarts for $160...

warhev
I'm New !

Post by warhev » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:32 am

I have noticed mark-ups on nearly every set at every store in my local area (Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Oregon). Almost every set that MSRP's for $9.99 is now between $10.99 - $12.99, and similar % increases seem to be on most other sets, too (ie MSRP $19.99 sets for $23.99, etc...). This seems to be across all Lego product lines and all pricing points. Even having a Target check card (5% off) still makes these a rip off, not to mention most of the "sales" recently have only served to drop their new prices down to MSRP. :evil:
Slightly off-topic, but I have noticed it's not just Lego sets - since they started the check card discount, I have seen the regular shelf prices go up on many items: toiletries, pet items, electronics... and that's just on the items I (used to) buy there regularly! :mad: