LEGO Kingdoms Chess

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

LEGO Kingdoms Chess

Post by ncbarrett » Fri May 11, 2012 11:46 am

Just posted on S@H

a LEGO KIngdoms chess set #853373

Buy Now: $49.99 USA | $59.99 Canada
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Re: LEGO Kingdoms Chess

Post by Morgan19 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 am

Here's a direct link:

http://search2.lego.com/?q=853373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's the expected brick-built board, but the "turrets" in each corner appear to be one big flimsy plastic piece.

It looks like all the figures are existing designs from the last round of red/white and dark green/black factions. That seems like a missed opportunity; it would've been really exciting if they'd made the "bad" faction's designs/torsos/etc. use the updated Black Falcon's heraldry from the recent joust set, rather than more of the same dark green faction:

m19

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri May 11, 2012 12:21 pm

I have 2 of the previous Lego Chess sets, and this one seems to be unimpressive by comparison. They put in a cheap plastic 'holder' for the board, rather than go with the carrying case they usually do.

Come on Lego... you're known for your quality... and this is sub-par in comparison to stuff you've already done. Shame.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri May 11, 2012 12:31 pm

It is a good news for those who never own lego castle/fantasy era/kingdoms chess. However, where is the Dragon Knight's King and Queen? Why was wizard always being used as a king?

Last edited by legohunter on Fri May 11, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri May 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Luciant wrote:I have 2 of the previous Lego Chess sets, and this one seems to be unimpressive by comparison. They put in a cheap plastic 'holder' for the board, rather than go with the carrying case they usually do.

Come on Lego... you're known for your quality... and this is sub-par in comparison to stuff you've already done. Shame.
i have the one from 2005 with the blue and black knights (G678), and doesn't have any kind of holder so a plastic castle like one is fine by me.
I agree a case would be better than a storage box(which I assume is like all games boxes), but I'll reserve judgment until after I receive it.
legohunter wrote:... However, where is the Dragon Knight's King and Queen?
There never was one made, the wizard is supposed to be the leader of the dragon knights (according to the book).
Ill be switching him out when I get it.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

neomonkey
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by neomonkey » Fri May 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Were previous minifigures in chess sets stuck together like the magnet sets?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri May 11, 2012 1:18 pm

neomonkey wrote:Were previous minifigures in chess sets stuck together like the magnet sets?
no.

If these are, I'll be returning it to LEGO. :evil:

But from this line:
Build all 32 royal characters, then the black and white baseplate board

sounds like they are not glued

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:59 pm

$50 is worth it just for the minifigs, the rest just seems like a bonus to me

But then again kingdoms sets have been scarce since I got back into lego so maybe you guys already have all these minifigs
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

lawpepperdine
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by lawpepperdine » Fri May 11, 2012 2:29 pm

nick91884 wrote:$50 is worth it just for the minifigs, the rest just seems like a bonus to me
Agreed! Just walked into Lego store and bought 5 for free shipping feature. Army building time!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri May 11, 2012 2:30 pm

ncbarrett wrote:
neomonkey wrote:Were previous minifigures in chess sets stuck together like the magnet sets?
no.

If these are, I'll be returning it to LEGO. :evil:
Me, too. No way they were glued together.

Cara
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Cara » Fri May 11, 2012 9:19 pm

This makes it very easy to decide what to buy to get a free Hulk minifigure next week.

zak001
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by zak001 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Cara wrote:This makes it very easy to decide what to buy to get a free Hulk minifigure next week.
Beat me to it. "Uh, 32 minifigs for $50, plus a promo?" Lather, rinse, repeat.

lawpepperdine
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by lawpepperdine » Fri May 11, 2012 10:51 pm

zak001 wrote:
Cara wrote:This makes it very easy to decide what to buy to get a free Hulk minifigure next week.
Beat me to it. "Uh, 32 minifigs for $50, plus a promo?" Lather, rinse, repeat.
You'll just need to add a keychain or something though, because it's conveniently $0.01 shy of $50.00. I wish LEGO carried polybags like the Batman Jetski.

Akitakara
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Akitakara » Fri May 11, 2012 11:00 pm

Just to throw this in there guys.

The 4 rooks (aka NOT Minifigure pieces - have no head, arms, etc) are being counted as part of the 32 minifigures.

Proof:

A chessboard has 8 squares
Each player has 2 rows of pieces

This total to be 16 pieces

As there's 2 players, there's a total of 32 pieces.

But looking at the board, there's 4 rooks there that are a square tower in place of minifigures.

Just something to consider if you're buying it for the unit price of minifigures.

lawpepperdine
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by lawpepperdine » Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Aware of this. Still comes out to less than $2 per guy. Pretty great considering the 5 minifigure kingdom battle packs go for $35 on eBay. $2 each or $7 each. Hmmmmm, let me think. Plus the board, plastic castle base, and chess squares. Andddddddd LEGO VIP points. In the words of Charlie Sheen (a fool to quote but still) <------ winning!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri May 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Don't know how to play chess, and not that interested in the Kingdoms theme but still may consider buying this just for the sake of it. Perhaps I can learn how to play while I'm at it. But I hoping that huge "base" piece is not some cheap flimsy plastic but rather hard baseplate-like ABS plastic. But judging by the looks of it on the picture, I'm not getting my hopes up high.

dilbert12
Knight
Knight

Post by dilbert12 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:25 pm

lawpepperdine wrote:Aware of this. Still comes out to less than $2 per guy. Pretty great considering the 5 minifigure kingdom battle packs go for $35 on eBay. $2 each or $7 each. Hmmmmm, let me think. Plus the board, plastic castle base, and chess squares. Andddddddd LEGO VIP points. In the words of Charlie Sheen (a fool to quote but still) <------ winning!
Agreed. Plus you get a bunch of plates and a few other LEGO pieces!

I use the $3 rule of thumb for minifigures. The collectible minifigs are about $3 each and if you build your own with crappy accessories at the LEGO store they are $3.33 each. Compared to previous LEGO chess sets it may seem cheap, but as a battle pack this is a great deal. Also, those other amazing LEGO chess sets were way more than $50.

dilbert12
Knight
Knight

Post by dilbert12 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Legobrandon wrote:Don't know how to play chess, and not that interested in the Kingdoms theme but still may consider buying this just for the sake of it. Perhaps I can learn how to play while I'm at it. But I hoping that huge "base" piece is not some cheap flimsy plastic but rather hard baseplate-like ABS plastic. But judging by the looks of it on the picture, I'm not getting my hopes up high.
All pieces look like standard LEGO ABS plastic pieces. It looks like a bunch of 4x4 plates on a standard LEGO 32x32 green baseplate that you can get for around $5-$6. The grey wall thingy is questionable and I don't expect it to be quality plastic. I do expect it to be somewhat sturdy though.

kbsig106
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by kbsig106 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:18 am

lawpepperdine wrote:Aware of this. Still comes out to less than $2 per guy. Pretty great considering the 5 minifigure kingdom battle packs go for $35 on eBay. $2 each or $7 each. Hmmmmm, let me think. Plus the board, plastic castle base, and chess squares. Andddddddd LEGO VIP points. In the words of Charlie Sheen (a fool to quote but still) <------ winning!
I agree w/ you completely - based solely on the minifigs it is a no brainer. Question is he many to buy, 1-5?

Strictly.Rollers
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Strictly.Rollers » Sat May 12, 2012 5:24 am

I am army building and might be a cool way to get my kid into learning chess.