10230 Mini Modulars available NOW in stores

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
UnknownUser
Knight
Knight

10230 Mini Modulars available NOW in stores

Post by UnknownUser » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Just came back from the Santa Clara (CA) LEGO store, they have 10230 on shelves ready to be bought.

Turd
Citizen
Citizen

Re: 10230 Mini Modulars available NOW in stores

Post by Turd » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Thought they were only for VIP members?

1brickshyofcrazy
Knight
Knight

Post by 1brickshyofcrazy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:16 pm

You probably have to show your VIP card but who knows at this point...

Toronadian
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Toronadian » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:31 am

I remember reading that they would be available after January 1st, but when I was on the S@H website I remember reading "available Feb 1, 2011". Any sightings at either the Fairview or Sherway Gardens location? I have about $60 worth of VIP points (took like forever, though I rarely if ever buy from Lego brand stores...), not sure if I wanna spend it on either Mini Modulars, the VW Camper Van, or the Pet Shop/whatever the next modular is (which is rumoured to be a town hall).

indiababu
Citizen
Citizen

Post by indiababu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:27 pm

I was in the Fairview store (Toronto) on Dec 30 and did not notice it there.

mah4546
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mah4546 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:26 pm

It was always being released January 1 in stores. The delay online was due to tech problems on restricting purchases to VIP members. And, yes, stores absolutely are enforcing it and an active VIP card has to be scanned before the item is scanned.

doodlebird
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by doodlebird » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:05 pm

my local lego store had one box sitting behind the counter. you had to ask for it, and an employee would go to the back store room and get one for you. they are NOT out on the shelves. and yes, it's only for VIP members, but that isn't much of a barrier. not sure if you can sign up for VIP on the spot, but really - is there anyone on this site who ISN'T already a VIP card holder?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:45 pm

I got one today and used the 10% off coupon from my catalog. They were on the sales floor. I was asked for my VIP card, but they always ask if you have one when I have made a purchase.

1brickshyofcrazy
Knight
Knight

Post by 1brickshyofcrazy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:54 am

So now the question would be - is - would they still sale you the 10230 VIP set to you if you say "no I'm not but I'd like to join and can I buy it now"

It doesn't really matter any way since non VIP members can always get it on the secondary market if they really wanted it.

I'll have mine shortly as well as I haven't been able to go and get it. The drive isn't long but the traffic's a nightmare to get there. What should be maybe a 30 minute drive takes sometimes an 1 & 1/2 hours one way and that's the closer store. The one further takes about 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours one way. Sometimes it just easier to use the online shop instead however with the impending 10% coupon the trip is a must... :-D

atmail35 wrote:I got one today and used the 10% off coupon from my catalog. They were on the sales floor. I was asked for my VIP card, but they always ask if you have one when I have made a purchase.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:49 am

I was there lastnight for the lego build and they had plenty on the sales floor. I didn't pick it up since I forgot my 10% off coupon. They told me that this set is exclusive to Lego. They hope that people will sign up for the VIP card which hopefully will make people more likely to buy from them instead of the other box stores. Also, there was no limit to how many you could buy.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 am

slacker wrote:I was there lastnight for the lego build and they had plenty on the sales floor. I didn't pick it up since I forgot my 10% off coupon. They told me that this set is exclusive to Lego. They hope that people will sign up for the VIP card which hopefully will make people more likely to buy from them instead of the other box stores. Also, there was no limit to how many you could buy.
This is definitely a marketing strategy. They want customers to have the VIP card so they can track your spending and try to convince consumers to buy from them directly. I agree that offering this "exclusive" is one way to get people who might not otherwise sign up to do so. Although, the only people I've seen turn down a VIP card are those who then say they are from out of town and only shop there occassionally etc. or people who just don't like loyalty cards.
Last edited by atmail35 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:23 am

atmail35 wrote:... the only people I've seen turn down a VIP card are those who then say they are from out of town and only shop there occassionally etc. or people who just don't like loyalty cards.
Or those afraid of "Big Brother" :silent: :crazy:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:37 am

ncbarrett wrote:
atmail35 wrote:... the only people I've seen turn down a VIP card are those who then say they are from out of town and only shop there occassionally etc. or people who just don't like loyalty cards.
Very true, but shoot ncbarrett, you've captured my misuse of "their" vs "there" in your quote!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:42 am

atmail35 wrote:
ncbarrett wrote:
Very true, but shoot ncbarrett, you've captured my misuse of "their" vs "there" in your quote!
fixed :mrgreen:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:44 am

ncbarrett wrote:fixed :mrgreen:
You're the best, thanks! :clap:

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm torn on this. I want it, but it opens up a new category in my collection: town/city micro scale. Maybe I shouldn't resist it. I'm loving other mini/micro scale with Star Wars and Heroica. The money would be better spent towards 2x Kingdoms Jousts. I want it all.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:31 am

SpaceNinjaDino wrote:I'm torn on this. I want it, but it opens up a new category in my collection: town/city micro scale. Maybe I shouldn't resist it...
You will likely regret not getting it.
We have no idea how long this set will be available.

eleewhm
I'm New !

Post by eleewhm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:54 am

i see lego.com shows avaliable on Feb 1.. is it open to all?

1brickshyofcrazy
Knight
Knight

Post by 1brickshyofcrazy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:50 am

If it's done correctly on the online S@H website then no.
It will still require that you will need to be a VIP member.
After all it is consider "exclusively for Lego VIP members"
eleewhm wrote:i see lego.com shows avaliable on Feb 1.. is it open to all?

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:43 am

Does anyone have any idea how long this set will be available? Is it only for a limited time because of it's 'exclusivity'? Or will it follow the general 2-year rule-of-thumb?

I really wanna pick this up because I think it'll pretty cool displayed on my desk, but if it's gonna be around for a while, I don't mind holding off on it.