Discontinued stuff by end of 2011

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
UnknownUser
Knight
Knight

Discontinued stuff by end of 2011

Post by UnknownUser » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:09 pm

What do you think would be axed by the end of 2011 (or at least by the Xmas clearance sale)?

If recent trends apply, then this is what I think would be discontinued by then:

-Pharaohs Quest (the entire line)
-Ninjago (the first winter wave, maybe all the spinners released so far)
-Atlantis (whatever's left of 2010, 2011 wave(s))
-SW (whatever's left of 2010 sets, maybe a few 2011)
-Hero Factory (whatever's left of 2010 wave, 2011 winter wave)
-Harry Potter (all of it, whatever's left)
-City (whatever's left of 2010 sets, maybe sets from winter wave)
-Creator/Technic (whatever's left of 2010 sets, maybe a few from this years)
-Duplo ( :eh: )
-Games (winter wave, maybe Heroica too)
-POTC (the entire wave, including the BP)

So in short, anything left over from 2010 will be gone soon. CMFS5 has already sold out :shock:

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Discontinued stuff by end of 2011

Post by Zeya » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Good question. From my observations I would hazard to speculate:

- Kindoms sets from 2010 (King's Castle, Prison Tower, Outpost Attack, etc)
- Atlantis, most of it anyway. I think that City of Atlantis set is relatively new though. I think the theme will end though so no new sets.
- PotC, The non-ship sets would be in particular jeopardy
- Pharaoh's Quest, probably all disappearing soon
- Prince of Persia, Still waiting for the fire sales on this one, if they aren't already sold out everywhere… come on Boxing Day clearance!

Can't speak for most lines I don't collect. @UnknownUser, you think all of PotC will go away? The Black Pearl just appeared on shelves! It's official launch date was Nov 1st. I suspect the BP will be around for another year or so, probably the QAR ship too.

I can tell you what isn't going away is Ninjago. At least not the theme. Those sets are selling like hotcakes. :)

mah4546
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mah4546 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:16 pm

Pirates of the Caribbean is not going anywhere. Also, many City sets far outlive the "two year rule" (some have been around since 2005!). The 2010 Fire Station, for example, is even in the 2012 Instruction booklets in the product collages at the back.

UnknownUser
Knight
Knight

Post by UnknownUser » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:42 pm

Zeya wrote:I think that City of Atlantis set is relatively new though. I think the theme will end though so no new sets.
- Prince of Persia, Still waiting for the fire sales on this one, if they aren't already sold out everywhere… come on Boxing Day clearance!
City of Atlantis was released in the summer wave (along with Deep Sea Raider) while the three smallest sets were released during the 2010 holiday season. That doesn't mean it gets a longer shelf life though...

I thought PoP was gone in stores for good...I remember they were cleared out after Xmas (at least in where I live).

Zeya wrote:I can tell you what isn't going away is Ninjago. At least not the theme. Those sets are selling like hotcakes. :)
What I'm saying is that the first wave of sets would be discontinued (since that usually happens to past best-selling themes). I can see them dump out all the spinner sets however...
mah4546 wrote:Pirates of the Caribbean is not going anywhere.
I'm starting to think that as well, since I heard there would be another wave next year, along with a HUGE flying Dutchman ship...

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:48 am

UnknownUser wrote:I'm starting to think that as well, since I heard there would be another wave next year, along with a HUGE flying Dutchman ship...
that would be excellent if they do the Dutchman!

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:31 am

UnknownUser wrote: -Harry Potter (all of it, whatever's left)
There were some HP sets released this summer, they'll probably last until Summer 2012.

I think that the Emerald Night, Imperial Flagship, Tantive IV and the Republic Dropship are likely to dissapear. LEGOshop is sold out of these sets and unless they have a secret stock, other retailers will soon run out too.

Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Kodiak10 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:57 pm

I have a hunch that the POTC will be discontinued espically the ships in the next 4 months. Just my opinion...... could be totally wrong... wont be the first time.. With the new 2012 Ninajgo, DC Comics, Marvel, Cars, City, Star Wars, Dino, Creator, Spongebob and girls line coming out, among others, I think they have to pick and choose what they sell. They just have to big of a selection right now. Somethings got to give.

locutis
Citizen
Citizen

Post by locutis » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:24 am

S@H Website lists 10211 Grand Emporium as SOLD OUT. :eek:

This caught me by surprise, as Fire Brigade came out over half a year earlier and is still available.

Good thing I bought a bunch of all of them last year. ;-)

Locutis
All your Lego will be assimilated with mine. Resistance is futile.

mah4546
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mah4546 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:25 am

locutis wrote:S@H Website lists 10211 Grand Emporium as SOLD OUT. :eek:

This caught me by surprise, as Fire Brigade came out over half a year earlier and is still available.

Good thing I bought a bunch of all of them last year. ;-)

Locutis
Sold out does not mean discontinued. It's not a discontinued product.

brickz
Knight
Knight

Post by brickz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Sold out at Lego.

Star Wars Advent Calendar
Hoth Wampa Cave
Slave I (call to check availability)

Suprising how the 2010 sets gets discontinued before the 2009 ones like Freeco Speeder and Arc Fighter.

UnknownUser
Knight
Knight

Post by UnknownUser » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:03 pm

brickz wrote:Sold out at Lego.

Hoth Wampa Cave

Suprising how the 2010 sets gets discontinued before the 2009 ones like Freeco Speeder and Arc Fighter.
And then on Dec. 24-26 S@H puts them on sale even when it says OoS....just watch.

BTW, those sets are now are back in stock...

JabbaT
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JabbaT » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:29 pm

UnknownUser wrote:
brickz wrote:Sold out at Lego.

Hoth Wampa Cave

And then on Dec. 24-26 S@H puts them on sale even when it says OoS....just watch.

BTW, those sets are now are back in stock...
Just looked at them and still shows sold out to me. Some more of the sold out sets at legoshop below...

Kingdoms
-castle
-prison tower rescue
-outpost attack
-prison carriage rescue
-knight showdown

Atlantis
-portal of atlantis
-angler attack
-exploration hq
-guardian of the deep

Ninjago
-ice dragon attack
-garmadon's fortress
-cole dx
-lightning dragon battle

Pharaoh's Quest
-scropion pyramid
-flying mummy attack
-scarab attack

From the looks of it, Lego is only keeping the most recent wave for these regular themes.

I have a good feeling that the entire Pharaoh's Quest and World Racers theme will be discontinued. Same case with Prince of Persia and Toy Story. Obviously, Lego is having trouble selling those Disney themes even at 40% off.

mah4546
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mah4546 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:04 pm

You are drawing conclusions far to quickly. Sold out does not mean discontinued. Sets sell out all the time, only to re-appear later.

JabbaT
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JabbaT » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:23 am

Some of the sets from those waves are not listed at all anymore. Only 2 world racers sets listed. Given the time frame and all the new sets in january, very high chance getting discontinued.

Grand emporium will be an exception as its released after fire brigade.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:39 am

I understand the PoP sales issue, the movie tanked and it's not a very kid-centric movie to begin with. I can't fathom why the Toy Story and Cars sets aren't selling like gangbusters - toy of the most beloved kids movies of all time, in LEGO form... it boggles my mind.

World Racers was already discontinued, they were first put on clearance after last Christmas. They've just not sold through the backlog of sets. It's a good bet Pharaoh's Quest will be cleared out this year. Early Ninjago could see the clearance treatment, but I'm not so sure. Atlantis is probably on the way out except for the most recent wave or two.

With the Joust set coming out with the start of the new year I can't see Kingdoms being cleared out - at least not the second wave, perhaps the first.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

cstojano
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by cstojano » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:30 pm

I called Lego about the Grand Emporium and they said it was not coming back. Now I don't necessarily believe what they say but... It seems like they list stuff as sold out to garner maybe a small short term bump in sales while the set comes in and out of stock over the rest of the year. Clerk said GE was done due to the appearance of Pet Shop

turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Post by turtle1173 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:07 pm

I hope I get a chance to get the GE before it finally goes out. Remember it wasn't just a few weeks ago when everyone was concerned that the Fire Brigade was gone. Now it's not. Maybe that's the case here too. It's always hard to tell until it's finally too late!

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:41 pm

vynsane wrote:I can't fathom why the Toy Story and Cars sets aren't selling like gangbusters - toy of the most beloved kids movies of all time, in LEGO form... it boggles my mind.
I've always wondered that too. My theory is that, to me, the sets don't really look like Lego. I absolutely love Toy Story, and the idea of collecting all the characters in minifig form seems like a no-brainer for me. But then I pick up a set and see the minifigs, and well, they just don't look like Lego minifigs. The only Toy Story set I've picked up is the Army Men battlepack, and that's because those guys are actual 'minifigs', only all green.

But I guess that's the challenge of trying to make Lego versions of characters who happen to be other types of actual toys. You either create accurate likenesses of the characters and sacrifice the 'Lego look', or vice versa. In the end, we ended up with accurate looking Toy Story figurines that happen to be compatible with Lego bricks.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 pm

mah4546 wrote:You are drawing conclusions far to quickly. Sold out does not mean discontinued. Sets sell out all the time, only to re-appear later.
First off, remember that this thread is COMPLETE speculation. Also, to shoot people's idea's / thoughts down without your own logic to justify why YOU think the way you do isn't very fair to those listing their reasoning as to why they think sets WILL be discontinued. People said the EXACT same things last year about the Grand Carousel, Taj Mahal, and a few other High value targets, and ended up being D/C.

Most of the sets listed in this thread, I agree are on their way out. Now I think they will 'stagger' them like they did last year so not all of these sets will be gone right away (but most likely by end of 1st quarter 2012).

My reasoning behind this is because I've watched these sets/themes sell out, and get clearanced out (stores thinking they were gone for good), only to be replaced with the same stock. This usually happens once, MAYBE twice. Most of the sets listed hear (minus the High Value Targets like GE and FB) fall in that category... (Wave 1 Atlantis, PoP, Toy Story, World Racers is effectively already D/C).

I think Wave 1 of Kingdoms is going to be gone. If you're lucky, we might get a 2nd wave of clearance and then reintroduced at full price with the 2012 sets, but I doubt it. I think Wave 1 is gone for good. 2011 sets might clearance for their first go-around and then come back to full price.

Pharoh's Quest I'm on the bubble... I could see it going either way, but I haven't seen the entire line on clearnace so I'm guessing we will see it clearance after Xmas and then see it reappear in early 2012. I think you will also see Wave 1 Ninjago get clearanced and re-emerge at full price. PotC will also be in this group... its following an earily similar sales path as PoP and TS3, and how many of you still can find a Build-a-Zerg?

GE / FB I think are toast within 1 month after Xmas. They've been out a while and Pet Shop has already been released. I'm sure they're thinkin about what next modular to release....

Star Wars is the theme that always throws me. Sometimes only 1 year, sometimes 2, sometimes 5. I personally think that with the SSD out, the Death Star goes away after Xmas... I've been saying for a while it's gone this year, and I could be wrong.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

mah4546
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mah4546 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:50 pm

cstojano wrote:I called Lego about the Grand Emporium and they said it was not coming back. Now I don't necessarily believe what they say but... It seems like they list stuff as sold out to garner maybe a small short term bump in sales while the set comes in and out of stock over the rest of the year. Clerk said GE was done due to the appearance of Pet Shop
GE is not discontinued and is once again available to order.