Amazon.com now Shipping Worldwide for Select LEGO

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

Amazon.com now Shipping Worldwide for Select LEGO

Post by Toys N Bricks » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:33 am

Amazon.com (USA) is now selling select LEGO to other countries. We've listed some of the hottest LEGO products that Amazon ships worldwide for your convenience. Please read our guide completely first so you can get the highest potential amount of savings. Savings examples have been given for both Australia and Canada. If you are from other countries like Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, New Zealand or countries with high MSRP, a similar scenario like Australia would apply.

Australia, Asia & Countries with High MSRP (or countries without Amazon site)

Because the MSRP is usually double of what it is in the United States, you will benefit buying from Amazon. Shipping is quite reasonable as long as you choose the Expedited Shipping option. For example, LEGO Diagon Alley (10% off in USA right now) would cost $134.99 + $19.06 shipping = $154.05 USD. Regular MSRP for this set is $269.99 in Australia. That works out to be 43% off in savings after shipping! *If your country has tax, you will have to pay when receiving your package.

For your convenience, below is a list of recommended products that Amazon.com ships worldwide.

LEGO Online Exclusives

Creator Grand Emporium
Creator Maersk Train
Harry Potter Diagon Alley (10% off USA price right now)
Mindstorms NXT 2.0

Even for regular priced sets like LEGO Grand Emporium, it would cost only $149.97 + $31.39 shipping = $181.36 USD. Regular MSRP price for this set cost $249.99 in Australia. That works out to be 27.5% off in savings after shipping!

Other Sets

Alien Conquest UFO Abduction
City Camper Van (20% off USA price right now)
City Police Station (20% off USA price right now)
Harry Potter Qudditch Match (10% off USA price right now)
Kingdoms Mill Village Raid
Ninjago Earth Dragon Defense
Ninjago Fire Temple (3% off USA price right now)
Ninjago Ice Dragon Attack (17% off USA price right now)
Ninjago Mountain Shrine
Pirates of the Caribbean Queen Anne’s Revenge (18% off USA price right now)
Star Wars Clone Trooper Battle Pack
Star Wars Sith Nightspeeder

*There are also some more discounted LEGO sets that Amazon ships worldwide under "Recommended Medium Sets" below. The discount % is based on Canadian retail, discount % would be 20-25% off USA retail.

Canada

Although Amazon.com is now shipping to Canada, the drawback is the high shipping fees. Now you may ask where is the deal then? You may all be rushing to buy big expensive sets, but I hate to tell you this, the deal is not there for Canadians. If you buy expensive sets, the only shipping option Amazon gives to you is Priority (2 days shipping) which is cracy expensive. Its unforunate that Amazon offers Expedited shipping options for almost every other country except for Canada. As a result, shipping to Canada cost 2-3 times more expensive compared to shipping to Australia.
Taxes
As stated in their info section, Amazon will charges you import fees in advance. You should not have to pay customs/taxes when receiving your package.

Shipping

Due to the high shipping rates, the best shipping deals are actually in medium ($19.99-$34.99 USD / $24.99-$44.99 CAD) sets. As long as you order sets roughly below $34.99 USD, Amazon will give you cheap shipping options (Standard or Expedited). Shipping 10 Earth Dragon Defense sets for $31.87 is a lot more reasonable than shipping 1 Maersk Train for $67.87! Note however that there is still a fixed fee on shipping. (i.e shipping 1 item cost $10, shipping 2 items cost $11) Therefore, your average shipping cost would decrease if you buy more.

The Deal

Now that we got the shipping business out of the way, the only way you can benefit order from Amazon is getting sets that are already discounted. Otherwise, you'll just end up getting your product a few % off Canadian retail after shipping (i.e Mindstorms NXT 2.0).

Also, you will need to buy multiple items to lower the average shipping cost per item. We will use the Spongebob Glove World set and Standard Shipping option as an example. Shipping for 1 Glove World set $8.69. Total shipping for 2 Glove World sets is $9.38. Total shipping for 3 Glove World sets is $10.08. (Marginal Cost is $0.7 for each additional unit) This means that your actual savings would depend on how much you buy. 1 Glove World ($15 + $8.69 = $23.69) would mean you save 21% off retail. 2 Glove World sets ($30 + $9.38 = $39.38) means you save 34.4% off retail. 3 Glove World sets ($45 + $10.08) means you save 39% off retail. 4 Glove World sets ($60 + $10.78) means you save 41.1% off retail.

The point of the example is don't just buy 1 set as that would have a very high shipping cost. You should buy at least 2 sets to make the deal worth it. The magic number would be 2-4 sets. For your convenience, below is a list of the current sales for medium sets happening right now. (a similar shipping cost structure like Glove World applies to these sets too)

Recommended Medium Sets (% discount based on Canadian retail)

50% off - Spongebob Glove World $15 USD (reg.$29.99 CAD)
40% off – City Prisoner Transport $15 USD (reg.$24.99 CAD)
40% off - Cars Escape at Sea $15 USD (reg.$24.99 CAD)
40% off - Star Wars Imperial V-Wing Starfighter $15 USD (reg.$24.99 CAD)
40% off – Technic Off-Roader $15 USD (reg.$24.99 CAD)
39% off - Star Wars Battle of Naboo $21.49 USD (reg.$34.99 CAD)
39% off – City Police Minifigure Collection $7.94 USD (reg.$12.99 CAD)

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/amazon-com-now-s ... lect-lego/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Re: Amazon.com now Shipping Worldwide for Select LEGO

Post by Hodgeman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:19 am

Hmmm... very interesting. It's a start, but hopefully they'll expand the shipping options on the larger sets to Canada...
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

macmon
Peasant
Peasant

Post by macmon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:53 am

I hope you dont mind if I add something to check also during shopping.
Since it is best to consolidate buying for savings in shipping, you have to take note if the item can be shipped together with the other items or if it will be shipped separately from the rest. Example shown below usually written in product details

Shipping Advisory: This item must be shipped separately from other items in your order. Additional shipping charges will not apply.

Now this might not affect extra shipping charges from Amazon (i.e. 2 packages sent instead of 1) BUT may affect you when it reached your country. Since you might pay taxes separately for this.

FYI.

Joseywales
I'm New !

Post by Joseywales » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:38 am

I tried adding a bunch of different sets to my cart and it said they don't ship to canada for some reason. The odd one worked but mostly it said they do not ship to canada.

Alyvin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Alyvin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Joseywales wrote:I tried adding a bunch of different sets to my cart and it said they don't ship to canada for some reason. The odd one worked but mostly it said they do not ship to canada.
Only certain sets can be shipped, not all. IMO, prices are not worth it after shipping.

kris kelvin
I'm New !

Post by kris kelvin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:52 pm

I`m from Poland and I`ve checked some sets. For my country it`s not worth. They are starting, I know but now shipping cost for big sets to Poland is only "Priority International Courier (averages 2-4 days)". And Diagon Alley`s shipping cost is 60 usd, Grand Emporium is 91 dolars, and Maersk Train is 101 dolars :lol:
I`ll stick with British Amazon. Maybe in the future it will change I hope.

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:00 pm

An interesting side effect of this seems to be that almost every set at Amazon will now ship to a US PO box. Before it was limited to about 35% of the listed sets. Any Canadians near the US boarder should consider renting a US PO Box.

Lego S@H, Barnes & Noble and now Amazon all ship to P.O. Boxes. So you can get US prices, exclusive items (eg. Master Builder Academy) and cheaper shipping.