Investing in Lego

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
cupishalfempty
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Investing in Lego

Post by cupishalfempty » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Legobrandon wrote: But why not keep them and have have a bit of LEGO history in your home?
Different people have different motives. Some of the people in this thread have expressed joy in collecting lego without ever opening it. Some express happiness in making money. To me, the joy is in the build. I almost always feel remorse when I'm done building as that means the fun part is over. I need a lego library so I can go check out five sets, build them, take them apart and then return them. Because all my joy is found in the build, keeping them around doesn't do anything for me except tie up space and money that could be using to buy another set so I can build it. Since lego librarys don't exist, Strategically buying sets that I can own for a while then sell at cost or for profit keeps the cost of my hobby down.

Billy

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:17 pm

cupishalfempty wrote:
Legobrandon wrote: But why not keep them and have have a bit of LEGO history in your home?
Different people have different motives. Some of the people in this thread have expressed joy in collecting lego without ever opening it. Some express happiness in making money. To me, the joy is in the build. I almost always feel remorse when I'm done building as that means the fun part is over. I need a lego library so I can go check out five sets, build them, take them apart and then return them. Because all my joy is found in the build, keeping them around doesn't do anything for me except tie up space and money that could be using to buy another set so I can build it. Since lego librarys don't exist, Strategically buying sets that I can own for a while then sell at cost or for profit keeps the cost of my hobby down.

Billy
Fair enough. Good luck in your future sales!

brickz
Knight
Knight

Post by brickz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Anyone notice this from lego?

Popular/top selling items stick around a lot longer
Not popular/can't sell items are gone very soon

The popular ones like death star, medieval village and battle of endor have been available for such a long time. It was just recently endor was discontinued but its been out for almost 3 years. You can still find them at some TRU stores. Death star been out earlier than the discontinued Tantive but still available. Kingdoms line is gone and MMV still here even though its from the Castle theme. This market is really getting saturated...Prices won't skyrocket right away with these sets that lego keeps so long.

The not so popular ones that lego discontinues tends to do skyrocket right away in the aftermarket. Ones that you think will never be worthy of investment are the complete opposite. Sets like 7678 droid gunship and 7751 ahsoka fighter did significantly better than the other star wars sets. At least double compared to sets like home one that still sells below retail. (mainly because of the duration the set was available)

Similar to ahsoka fighter would be mace windu's fighter. Try to find it at walmart for $20. That set is worth the investment and will climb similar to the ahsoka one like $80-100.

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Tue May 01, 2012 2:01 pm

I just wanted to bump this thread back to life, now that several months have passed since the spate of holiday discontinuations. IF and EN, I'm looking at you!! I, of course, totally missed out on everything, but I wanted to see if anyone cared to share a "revised" 2012 outlook. Harry Potter and PotC going to be trounced by LotR??? Marvel Superheroes dampen Ninjago??? Death Star and MMV certified immortal??? Nobody knows, but it's a lot of fun to talk about.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Tue May 01, 2012 3:56 pm

brickarmor wrote:I just wanted to bump this thread back to life, now that several months have passed since the spate of holiday discontinuations. IF and EN, I'm looking at you!! I, of course, totally missed out on everything, but I wanted to see if anyone cared to share a "revised" 2012 outlook. Harry Potter and PotC going to be trounced by LotR??? Marvel Superheroes dampen Ninjago??? Death Star and MMV certified immortal??? Nobody knows, but it's a lot of fun to talk about.
I only have speculation to offer, and I don't invest in Lego to resell. But here goes.

PotC is discontinued. I bought them all, and I would be shocked to see a second wave happen. The most recent set, Black Pearl launched in November and has been on clearance or heavily discounted everywhere since about January... as with all the other PotC sets. For that theme, I can't hazard to guess on re-selling performance. Some of the figs fetch quite a nice price on eBay etc, but I don't know about entire sets, relative to other themes/sets to resell.

It seems to me that Ninjago is doing great. I wouldn't say it'll be dampened by superheroes. I can see little boys (core Lego market) buying all of them.

I don't know about Death Star, but for MMV, I'm going to hazard a guess that will be around for a while longer, as will the Kingdoms Joust. I think this because of the LOTR theme. Lego has signed a contract saying they won't put out any competing themes against LOTR, which basically means no castle themes. But that excludes any existing sets. So I think they will continue to sell MMV and Joust in the Lego stores to make some extra coin off the LOTR train. Again, I could be wrong, but that's what I would do in their shoes. MMV in particular is a fantastic set - I only just this week started dismantling it after having it displayed for 1 1/2 years. It's as good as everyone says. I wouldn't be surprised if it performed well after discontinuation, even having been on shelves for such a long time.

I'm somewhat interested in Monster Fighters. However, I don't think it would do that well on the aftermarket. That theme seems to be all about the minifigs, and the constructs don't seem too great (cars with big hammers and guns). I kind of think of that theme like Atlantis, some cool stuff but I might not bring myself to buy much of it. I don't see it having long-term appeal beyond some of the minifigs (mainly the monsters). I think that might get a second wave, but I can't imagine it "going Ninjago" and running for a number of waves and strong popularity / TV show, etc.

All just my opinions. Again, I don't do reselling, but I sometimes fantasize about it. Cash is tight these days, and I'm lucky just to get my baseline Lego needs fulfilled.

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:52 pm

I was browsing eBay for pricing on some of the sets I still have sealed or have already sold and it seems that some may be dropping in price. Cafe Corner and Taj Mahal for example were going for around $1500 a few months ago, but they are down to $1100-$1200. Any speculations as to why this may have happened? Think the people that really wanted them already bought them or is the the lull before Christmas?

I have a sealed Cafe Corner still and I'm debating buying a used complete set and selling my sealed one but don't want to sell it now if the prices will go up again.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Condor, I think you are gonna see those Cap and float back and forth between $1000-$1500. I can't see the price going much higher. Just my personal opinion, but I think you hit the point somewhere around there where you build your own MOC look-a-like, or bricklink it.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:34 am

condor wrote:I was browsing eBay for pricing on some of the sets I still have sealed or have already sold and it seems that some may be dropping in price. Cafe Corner and Taj Mahal for example were going for around $1500 a few months ago, but they are down to $1100-$1200. Any speculations as to why this may have happened? Think the people that really wanted them already bought them or is the the lull before Christmas?

I have a sealed Cafe Corner still and I'm debating buying a used complete set and selling my sealed one but don't want to sell it now if the prices will go up again.

The type of person whom may have purchased things at the top of the market is likely a sttled proffesional adult. The type that has kids, and is putting aside their own purchases for a few months in order to have a Christmas budget.

Specialized adult oriented collectibles often have a pre Christmas lull IIRC. Then a boom in January.

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks for the insight guys! I'll take a wait and see approach with it then and hopefully the used prices won't climb up too much.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:14 pm

I don't think you're gonna the price drop below $1k, so I think it puts it thoroughly in the Specialized adult collectibles mantra for sure. I agree, that these type of items would be best sold after. I was just stating that I don't think it will ever go much beyond $1500.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

CreatorCrazed
I'm New !

Post by CreatorCrazed » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:34 pm

I was so happy to find this thread! My husband and I both sell online as a full time occupation and investing in Lego is a large portion of our business model. We have aisles full of shelves full of Lego, stacked floor to ceiling in our warehouse. Beats the heck out of a real job. At the same time, we are huge AFOL and have an entire Lego City in our basement with its own dedicated bedroom.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:44 pm

CreatorCrazed wrote:... We have aisles full of shelves full of Lego, stacked floor to ceiling ...
Can I come play at your house? ;-)

drtabo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by drtabo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:54 pm

I'd like to see pics :)

Martin
I'm New !

Post by Martin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:54 am

HI all, also glad to have found this thread. Well I was so sick of rubbish interest rates on savings that I splashed out about £1000 on lego to test the theory of it being a good investment. I looked for best possible prices and spread purchases in terms of cost and theme but got stuff I liked. Intention to hold for 1 - 5 years depending on unique circumstances of each. At the very least my kids (who are on 2nd hand creators sets now) are going to be well happy...but I hope to sell most for a profit

This is my portfolio:

Hoth Echo base*2
LOTR Shelob * 2
LOTR Helms deep *1
Fire brigade*2
Minecraft*3
Winter village cottage*2
Polybags of Frodo (7), Uruk Hai (7), Thor (10)
Pudzy bear*3 :)
Friends Advent Calender 2012*2
Star Wars advent Calender 2012*3

Anything you think is a complete dud?
Anything you like?
Any other recommendations..I quite liked 9493 X wing starfighter what do you think of that to hold?

Thanks!

Martin
I'm New !

Post by Martin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:58 am

...Also... I had a lego delivery from Amazon and one of the corners of the box was a little (very, very little) dented. Is this really an issue such that it is no longer mint? Should I return and request a completely unblemished box?

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:06 am

Nope. My opinion of course.

CreatorCrazed
I'm New !

Post by CreatorCrazed » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:06 pm

I actually don't have any idea how to post a photo.

As for the dinged up box Martin, you can contact Amazon about the damage. If you do it through live chat, they can pretty easily be talked into a partial refund. It is what we do when we receive damaged boxes from them. True, some have to be sold as less than new, but if you can save 20-30%, it is worth it. However, I only do this on sets that are sold by Amazon. Not sets that are sold by third party merchants.

ilovetoys
I'm New !

Post by ilovetoys » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:34 am

Just came across this forum. What a great place! Always loved playing with Legos when a kid. Have recently retired and am looking to invest some in currently available Legos (they sure look better than the stock market!).
So if you were buying new Legos today and had $2k to work with, which ones would you buy and store away that had the best chances to appreciate in value short-term (next 2-3 years) that is still available in stores? Ninjago? PofC? Star Wars?
Have seen also the Friends line that appears to be very popular right now. What about it?

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:48 am

ilovetoys wrote:Just came across this forum. What a great place! Always loved playing with Legos when a kid. Have recently retired and am looking to invest some in currently available Legos (they sure look better than the stock market!).
So if you were buying new Legos today and had $2k to work with, which ones would you buy and store away that had the best chances to appreciate in value short-term (next 2-3 years) that is still available in stores? Ninjago? PofC? Star Wars?
Have seen also the Friends line that appears to be very popular right now. What about it?
Ninjago is in high demand now, but is a little bit risky (I think). What kids want can change on a dime. The high demand sets are also getting hard to find.

I would suggest Modulars and Sculptures: Grand Emporium and Tower Bridge, for example. From other themes, larger sets would be good too: SW: Imperial Shuttle, R2D2 (although this is new, it will take a while to appreciate). PotC: the ships--Queen Anne's and Black Pearl.
I think trains are a reasonably safe bet, too: Maersk and Red Cargo are both on their way out, but still available.

Of course, check out emazers' thread, if you want to see what one person has bet big on.
http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... =83&t=7619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can, get things on sale. That helps a lot.

cstojano
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by cstojano » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Thought I'd add my experience. I started investing several years back when I was just getting into Lego and stumbled onto a lot of discontinued HP Castles (5378) at a local TRU. No clue why they had them but I knew enough to know they were discontinued elsewhere, were marked down, and they had a Buy 2 Get 1 free sale going. I bought all of them 21 in total. One I opened, one I still have. I was into them for 51 dollars a set. sold 19 that Xmas for around 125 a set, thrilled to so easily double my money. I sold way too soon;)

So there is a lot of good stories on this thread and in this forum, its like a Golden Age right now. But it will come to an end, all things like this do eventually and it can end right when everyone is so sure the party can continue forever. It never does. I've been collecting for about 15 years now and made money doing all sorts of things, flipping yahoo and amazon auctions (remember those?) on eBay, vintage toys, etc. Right now its all about Lego for investment. Like others I have a lot of money in the bank earning nothing so primarily do this as an inflation hedge. But I haven't jumped in with 2 feet just yet. I see 2 head winds for Lego flipping. The first is the increasing cost of shipping. eBayers like free shipping but you eat it big time if someone from MA wins your bid in CA (parcel post on a small $50 set is like 12 dollars. I now refuse to offer free shipping. The second is the continued rise in eBay fees which currently takes about 12% of the gross including paypal. I am getting greedy and hate to lose this money on larger sets.

I think most will agree though that we may never see another UCS MF or Cafe Corner unless Lego does something very odd. One potential Black Swan event is the haunted house. If that sold out tomorrow, watch out above.