Question on TRU B1G1 returns

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
atmail35
Duke
Duke

Question on TRU B1G1 returns

Post by atmail35 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:02 pm

I bought several birthday gifts during the recent sales. I got separate gift receipts since the items are for different kids. What will the recipient get back? For example if it was B1G1 50% off and they were $20 full price will one person get $20 and the other $10 or is it the average of $15 each if they were returned? Maybe I should not include the gift receipt? I wouldn't want one to get less than the other. Any experience or thoughts?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Question on TRU B1G1 returns

Post by vynsane » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 am

Pretty sure the return value is the discounted amount, averaged between the two sets, like you said - two $20 sets, bought at BOGO50 makes each one $15.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:02 am

vynsane wrote:Pretty sure the return value is the discounted amount, averaged between the two sets, like you said - two $20 sets, bought at BOGO50 makes each one $15.
Not sure about that.
I returned a set that was the half off $40 and they only gave me the $20, not $30.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:19 am

Hrm... odd... maybe take the receipts back to TRU and ask them to double-check for you.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:59 am

Return the other one and see if you get the full amount. I've seen people buy two different sets and return the one that was full price so they can get the set they really want for 50% off.

beyondai
I'm New !

Post by beyondai » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:16 am

It does not work in the way to favor you. I checked with TRU CS and was told that they first refund the 50% one whenever possible.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:30 am

beyondai wrote:It does not work in the way to favor you. I checked with TRU CS and was told that they first refund the 50% one whenever possible.
One time I bought something like 30 CMF packets with buy one get one free. When I tried to return about 10 of them, they all rang up as $0. They wanted to take returns on the discounted items first, not in pairs pike you would hope.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:41 pm

I've become a semi-master of the TRU Return policy, and here is what I've gathered:

First off, some discounts at TRU like the $5 Tru bucks or $10 off $50 spread the 'discount' evenly across all items purchased. Keep this in mind if you are trying to stack coupons/offers.... now for BOGO info:

Items that are NOT the same value, the higher price item is always full price, lesser is 50% off. No shocker.

Items that ARE the same value, whichever item is scanned 1st is full price, the 2nd (equally priced) will be 50% giving you 25% off your total purchase. This also works for the B3G1 90% they just offered...

I ordered the 7066 Earth Defense $89.99, 4645 Harbour $89.99, then added 8679 Cars2 Tokyo Circuit for $9. I brought 7066 and 4645 and got a nice $193.48 return on a TRU Gift Card, netting me 8679 for a $9 plus tax (free shipping). Yay for 90% off! lol

Now... if you order 2 of the SAME ITEM, they will ALWAYS return the lesser value item first. This is why if you try to return CMF's when you buy them at BOGO 50% you get the $1.49 ones returned first. (I.E. Buy 10 CMF, the first 5 you return will be $1.49, and it won't be until your 6th returned that you get $2.99 for them.)

** Last of all but very important **
If you buy something via TRU.com, no matter what method of payment is used to purchase the order, you WILL ONLY RECIEVE TRU STORE CREDIT upon returning items. For lego fiends like myself... be it $200 in cash or $200 in Store credit... we all know they are gonna get it right back eventually anyways ;)
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Keep in mind I never get gift Reciepts.... but considering they are just a reciept that masks the actual purchase amount, I highly doubt it rearranges how their returns work.

I also want to point out that while I am "The Lego Guy" at my TRU, I don't think I've done this enough times (and especially NOT returning them right after one of these BOGO sales), to where I've 'alerted' their management that I'm using/abusing the system and turning a 25% and 30% discount into a 50% or 90% discount :) Message of the day: Like all things, overindulgance leads to downfall. Everything is ok in moderation.

Now Target on the other hand handles BOGO 50% off the way you should: adds both items together at full price, discounts the total by 25%, so regardless of which set you return, you're ONLY getting 25% off each item.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

wei11364
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wei11364 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:46 am

Luciant wrote:Keep in mind I never get gift Reciepts.... but considering they are just a reciept that masks the actual purchase amount, I highly doubt it rearranges how their returns work.

I also want to point out that while I am "The Lego Guy" at my TRU, I don't think I've done this enough times (and especially NOT returning them right after one of these BOGO sales), to where I've 'alerted' their management that I'm using/abusing the system and turning a 25% and 30% discount into a 50% or 90% discount :) Message of the day: Like all things, overindulgance leads to downfall. Everything is ok in moderation.

Now Target on the other hand handles BOGO 50% off the way you should: adds both items together at full price, discounts the total by 25%, so regardless of which set you return, you're ONLY getting 25% off each item.
I like your message of the day!

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Luciant wrote: Items that ARE the same value, whichever item is scanned 1st is full price, the 2nd (equally priced) will be 50% giving you 25% off your total purchase. This also works for the B3G1 90% they just offered...

I ordered the 7066 Earth Defense $89.99, 4645 Harbour $89.99, then added 8679 Cars2 Tokyo Circuit for $9. I brought 7066 and 4645 and got a nice $193.48 return on a TRU Gift Card, netting me 8679 for a $9 plus tax (free shipping). Yay for 90% off! lol
Wow. I had no idea this was the case. You got a brand new set for 90% off. :shock:

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:34 pm

LOL yea. I also got the MVV $7, Space Port $69.99, and some other set $69.99. MVV is sitting in my room, while the other 2 sets are in the trunk with the reciept ready to go back... I'll snag those when they are BOGO 50% or better with the store credit I'll get back lol. I will probably return them sometime next week.

sidersdd
Knight
Knight

Post by sidersdd » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:16 am

Ah, so the trick is ordering *different* items at the same price. Nice.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:11 pm

Yep. Heck, I'm tempted to order a Fire Brigade now that it's back in stock at regular price just to wait for a BOGO sale, then return it with my Emporium and then rebuy them at BOGO 50% since I can't sem to catch FB in stock during a sale... have to cheat :)

gator06
Peasant
Peasant

Post by gator06 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:14 am

how often does TRU do this BOGO sale anyway, is it every few months or something like that?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:49 am

gator06 wrote:how often does TRU do this BOGO sale anyway, is it every few months or something like that?
In my experience it really varies. I started noticing BOGO sales last fall BUT this summer they have been every few weeks. I think the amount of them this summer is a reflection of the economy, I had always heard that these sales at TRU were infrequent so I think this is unusual.....read it as: get them while you can at these prices!

gator06
Peasant
Peasant

Post by gator06 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:18 pm

atmail35 wrote:
gator06 wrote:how often does TRU do this BOGO sale anyway, is it every few months or something like that?
In my experience it really varies. I started noticing BOGO sales last fall BUT this summer they have been every few weeks. I think the amount of them this summer is a reflection of the economy, I had always heard that these sales at TRU were infrequent so I think this is unusual.....read it as: get them while you can at these prices!
Thanks, the one last week was the first I've ever noticed. It was frustrating that a lot of sets have a limit of 1 that can be ordered. I really wanted 2 imperial flagships but no, even called. They told me that the warehouse only had 1 in stock so that's all I could get.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 pm

Gator, now that you've found T-N-B, there will be times you stare at your Credit Card bill and wish you never did =) Honestly, stores are pretty BAD about promoting their sales, and without this site, i NEVER would have gotten the sets I have at the prices I've stolen them at... half the sales at TRU you only find out about here... I definitely wouldn't have gotten a $90 set for $9, and a $60 for $6 =)

The no 2 of the same sets thing is a new response of TRU to the throngs of resellers that would buy up all the High Value Targets within 10 minutes of a sale going live, and this is a TRU attempt to spread the wealth to more customers I think. It also gives them a chance to get more people to mis-match BOGOs to not get the full discount, especially when things start selling out and you are stuck choosing: Do I purchase a GE with QAR for BOGO, or do I hope another $150 set becomes available again by the end of BOGO to match it up with.