LEGO Store Question

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
chris2348
Peasant
Peasant

LEGO Store Question

Post by chris2348 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:36 am

Hey Guys,
I have a question regarding the LEGO Store. I recently came out of my dark ages, and this Friday I was planning to go see Cars 2. I saw that all LEGO Stores are having a minifigure speed building contest. Could you tell me about this? Is it worth going to?

Thanks in advance! :D

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: LEGO Store Question

Post by atmail35 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:07 am

My daughter did the speed building contest last summer and I'm taking her back this year. I think it is for 6-14 year olds. At our store the put kids in teams of 4 or 5 (we were the only ones there and had 2 friends with us). The employee gave the kids 2 minutes to make as many figs as they could..legs, torso, head and hat or hair). Then they counted them. The winner takes home 3 figs, the others get one each.

If there is no line it goes very fast. They are supposed to do one every 10 min. I would not drive far for it but if you are close or happen to be there it is fun.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:51 pm

We went to the speed build tonight. I was WAY more crowded than last year's (during the weekday/daytime hours) but still fun.

YMMV but they allowed 8 kids to compete in each round. A rectangular table was set up with a big box of parts in the middle - everything jumbled up. They had 1 minute to build as many as possible. Required parts: legs, torso, head, hat or hair, and accessory. Winner takes 3 figures, each participant gets one.

The only issue was that they had older (12-14 by my guess) going against the 6/7 year olds so the younger kids didn't stand a chance to win. But my daughter didn't really care, she thought it was fun. If new people weren't coming in the store they did allow kids to play more than once. My daughter did one round, sat one out and then participated again. I did see one older boy do each round while we were there (at least 4) and I think he won twice, which isn't really fair. IMO. They did start taking names on a list and asked kids who already played to sit out to make sure new folks had a chance.

The next time I am there, I might recommend that they split it into two groups 6-9 and 10-14. That just seems a little more fair.

My daughter was happy to play twice and get two fun figs. Overall a good experience. I then dropped some $$ on stuff.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:31 am

atmail35 wrote:... I then dropped some $$ on stuff.
That is what they are hoping. :twisted:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!