Legoland California

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Legoland California

Post by turtle1173 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi all,

My family and I are traveling out west this next month for vacation. We've decided to make a 2 day stop at legoland. I would like to hear from some of you about what to expect from the park. I've only been to the Lego store in FL before, so this will be quite a different experience. I read that there's a resort there but can't seem to find much info about it. Just kind of looking for some experienced thoughts from you all. Also, any park discounts that you know of?

Thanks!

drtabo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Legoland California

Post by drtabo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:01 pm

What are the ages of your children? I had picked up a 3 day "San Diego Go Pass" from Costco for my kids. It seemed like the cheapest, but we hit the zoo, Seaworld, and Legoland. My kids were 4 and a half and 2. They didn't get to go on many rides, but did enjoy seeing all the legos, and playing in the little kids area. Food is very expensive, try to pack snacks. I've seen plenty of the kids free with paid admission passes that come with the club magazine, or other offers.

turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Post by turtle1173 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:24 pm

My son is 9 and my daughter is 12. I wondered if the coupon on the polybags would apply to the park.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:26 pm

We have not been to Legoland so I can't help with logistics. However I've seen the free child admission w/ adult admission purchase coupon on several polybags. The coupon can also sometimes be found in the Club or Club Jr. magazine.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 pm

turtle1173 wrote:My son is 9 and my daughter is 12. I wondered if the coupon on the polybags would apply to the park.
The legoland website shows a child as ages 3-12.

The website shows some other discounts here: https://secure.legoland.com/webapp/wcs/ ... langId=-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA: I found this website on info on discounts (keep scrolling down for all the info.):
http://www.san-diego-beaches-and-advent ... ckets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Post by turtle1173 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:37 am

We are rethinking our trip to legoland CA. I've read a lot of things that seems to suggest the majority of the park is geared more towards younger kids. Mine are 9 & 12. Can anyone here confirm or reject this thought? I appreciate all the feedback.

drtabo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by drtabo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:45 am

Mine were 2 and 4 1/2. Although there were a handful of things for them to do, I felt there were many more things geared for older kids... (Or maybe the things that looked fun..)

jessica52877
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jessica52877 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Do your kids like legos? If so then I think it is a must do atleast once. My son is 8 and LOVES that place but he also loves legos. He went when he was almost 6 and almost 8. He loves thrill rides and I would not call lego a thrill ride kind of park at all! There are tons of rides for the little ones (but they must be tall enough). There a few small coasters the kids would like I think, small though. Don't compare it to Six Flags but more of a Disney without their bigger rides.

The miniland is to die for!! It is so fun to just walk around and look. We went in the aquarium which was nothing special and took maybe an hour, we won't do it again, but it was fun once. It wasn't open on our first trip there. The new waterpark also wasn't open the first trip and the second it was cold and rainy so we skipped it.

I think that you can go and enjoy your day if you don't expect too much from it. Here are some pictures from our last trip to give you an idea of some rides that you can see in a few pics.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... e88c182475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.

We have always done the buy one get one free coupon so it cost us about $160 for the day for the 3 of us. The first time we went the kids was completely free from their brick club and then used a bogo so was half that price. If you want to add on SeaLIfe I think it was $10 more.

We have also always eaten at the pizza place and gotten the pizza deal, $30 for 4 drinks, a pizza and 2 salads. I thought it was decent park food and overpriced. We are park people though so I guess I am kind of immune to it.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:55 pm

turtle1173 wrote:We are rethinking our trip to legoland CA. I've read a lot of things that seems to suggest the majority of the park is geared more towards younger kids. Mine are 9 & 12. Can anyone here confirm or reject this thought? I appreciate all the feedback.
I have a coworker who went to Legoland, CA recently. His child is about 3 or 4 years old. He told me that most of the park is geared toward younger kids, and then there's a portion that has more detailed or older kid/adult friendly stuff. His general impression was that compared to Disneyland or CA Adventure that the other parks are better. But he's not really and AFOL.

My first instinct was to steer you away from spending two whole days there. I think you may want to spend just one day there, and then visit one of the other parks.

But keep in mind this is secondhand information. I haven't even been to any of these parks.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I hope my input is still helpful...my family just spent last week in SoCal, and visited Legoland on multiple days.

To answer the age question: my sense is that the park is ideal for ages 6-12. There are enough roller coasters to keep the older kids entertained, and there are other parts of the park (like Mindstorms, get a reservation early!) that are geared specifically for older kids. We found lots of helpful folks at the entrance, so you can get oriented early and not miss the good stuff for older kids. At the younger end, one of my kids is 4 and there were quite a few rides that she couldn't ride due to height restrictions. At the older end, I didn't see many teenagers there. So, for 13 or older I would hesitate depending on how much they like Lego.

If your kids really like Lego, then the miniland area is quite interesting. Lots of modeling detail to explore.

The water park is fun, but if you plan to go only 1 day, I would skip it. There are water features in the Pirate area that are just as good for a short time.

We found the aquarium to be great, even though it was small. Only takes 60-90 minutes to go through, but I'm glad we did. The sharks swimming overhead was a highlight of my kid's trip.

We took advantage of the 5day-for-1 deal online [visible after clicking the 'buy now' button]. But for 1 or 2 days, the free child tickets are a better deal (skipping the water park and aquarium).

I found one of the great features of the park to be the focus on interaction. Some rides have interactions between the riders and observers, others have interactions between riders (ex: the Fire Station challenge). For example, the Aquazone ride has "water bombs" that are controlled by passersby. My wife took great pleasure in repeatedly soaking me while I waited for the ride to start. So, even if a 12yo isn't into roller coasters, there are many other ways they can stay entertained for the day.