2011 Discontinued LEGO Sets

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Themes Discontinued in 2011 Speculation

Post by BobaFett2 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:30 am

sadowsk1 wrote:When it comes to brickipedia, does Lego let that website know what sets they plan on coming out with or is it pure speculation? What are the odds of what they list as upcoming comes true? I mean before there are even preliminary images floating around out there.
As Brickipedia's main representative here, I'll answer.

LEGO doesn't inform us. I've seen other sites, like BZPower, get some special treatment (like getting a few HF sets before any store released them), but we don't.

On the other hand, it is in no way pure speculation. Speculation is removed (although you might see a bit of it here and there, as we can't catch every bit of speculation) and pages that are speculation are deleted. As long as we have a source, we can have the page. And the odds are about 98%. I've had two cases where I had to delete a sourced page (M-Tron Team and Space Police Team) because LUGNET (every other web source for it used LUGNET as the source as well) was their only source and there was no info whatsoever online. As for finding new sets? We find the stuff on Eurobricks, FlickR, Toys N Bricks, and a number of other sites. The preliminary images are never on Brickipedia unless they are an official release or pictures from a toyfair-confidential and watermarked images are not allowed. We often have info before images are released.

As for misinformation-Brickipedia is a wiki. We have many users, and not all of them know what you are supposed to do. Often users, make mistakes-everyone, including myself, has done so many times. So it's not perfect, but it is one of the better sources for information.

And we also have a lot of information from Gladiatoring-he's our oldest (agewise) user, has a lot of knowledge and contacts when it comes to LEGO-he also gets retail catalogs (from one of his contacts).
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

CJC
I'm New !

Post by CJC » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:26 pm

ENeuman600 wrote:I reading that wiki said that Indiana Jones will continue in some time in 2011.
Simple reason for that. We were not sure, so before suddenly announcing its cancelled, we felt it best to say paused until we found out about this years releases. It has since been updated.

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by slimninj4 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:11 am

POP is gone. Just a one time thing. All the sets are 50% at lego stores. I picked up a ton of each. SP3 may be gone. I think Cars will be just a one time thing. Not selling to well this year. Im not pleased with the new space theme either but im sure it will have some fans. Year 2010 was a great year for lego. I think it will be hard for 2011 to compete with the amount of awesome sets.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:45 am

slimninj4 wrote:I think Cars will be just a one time thing. Not selling to well this year.
For 2010 or 2011?

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:06 am

sp3 is indeed replaced by aliens abduction and city space themes. even sets released this year are being clearanced away. get the sp3 hq set while they last.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:02 pm

slimninj4 wrote:I think Cars will be just a one time thing. Not selling to well this year.
Cars is going to get a big push in 2011, so no - not discontinued.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:04 pm

vynsane wrote:
Yeah it's getting expanded to System scale, but they look rather bad. Nothing Cars related sells poorly. The whole reason for the sequel is to make new toys.

Agents ended in 2009, so yeah it's discontinued.

Toy Story, Space Police, PoP bombed, World Racers bombed. Sometimes LEGO only does one off themes, like Agents (It sold well so they made Agents 2.0), Aqua Raiders, and I think this year's PQ. Most "action themes" only last two years like Power Miners, Space Police, maybe Atlantis? There seems to be crazy Kingdoms ending rumours. Why end a theme that is a "core" theme to LEGO a year after it started? Plus we have already seen the pictures.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:
vynsane wrote:
Yeah it's getting expanded to System scale, but they look rather bad. Nothing Cars related sells poorly. The whole reason for the sequel is to make new toys.

Agents ended in 2009, so yeah it's discontinued.

Toy Story, Space Police, PoP bombed, World Racers bombed. Sometimes LEGO only does one off themes, like Agents (It sold well so they made Agents 2.0), Aqua Raiders, and I think this year's PQ. Most "action themes" only last two years like Power Miners, Space Police, maybe Atlantis? There seems to be crazy Kingdoms ending rumours. Why end a theme that is a "core" theme to LEGO a year after it started? Plus we have already seen the pictures.
Those aren't core themes. Kingdoms and Space Police are all subthemes of core themes. Subthemes end all the time. The superthemes, Castle and Space (respectively), will come back later (such as with Alien Invasion).
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:Toy Story, Space Police, PoP bombed, World Racers bombed.
Based on what data? Space Police 3 seemed to be a pretty good seller. Comparing the SP3 sets that were still available at the LEGO Store I visited during the clearance sale with the amount of Prince of Persia sets, it was about 1:10. I think there were 5 sets total sitting around on the SP3 shelf, whereas they had a huge pile of PoP sets in the middle of the store, and kept bringing more out.

I also don't know about Toy Story - I bought a few of them for my daughter, but they seem to be pretty good sellers. Not a "can't keep it in stock" series, but solid none-the-less. World Racers seemed to do well for the limited time it was out. I like it a lot - cool colors, cool stickers, cool figures (although they could've used a few more individuals, after a few sets you had quite a few multiples), fun action features. I wish there were a third or even a fourth faction. Maybe we'll see WR2 with two new teams sometime in the future, though I doubt it. :(
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:51 pm

vynsane wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:Toy Story, Space Police, PoP bombed, World Racers bombed.
Based on what data? Space Police 3 seemed to be a pretty good seller. Comparing the SP3 sets that were still available at the LEGO Store I visited during the clearance sale with the amount of Prince of Persia sets, it was about 1:10. I think there were 5 sets total sitting around on the SP3 shelf, whereas they had a huge pile of PoP sets in the middle of the store, and kept bringing more out.

I also don't know about Toy Story - I bought a few of them for my daughter, but they seem to be pretty good sellers. Not a "can't keep it in stock" series, but solid none-the-less. World Racers seemed to do well for the limited time it was out. I like it a lot - cool colors, cool stickers, cool figures (although they could've used a few more individuals, after a few sets you had quite a few multiples), fun action features. I wish there were a third or even a fourth faction. Maybe we'll see WR2 with two new teams sometime in the future, though I doubt it. :(
Space Police I is an awesome theme. I couldn't find any at the store on the 28th. I don't think Toy Story bombed either-but it wasn't an incredible seller. PoP definitely bombed-I think it's the second best theme on this list (after SPIII), for reasons I can't explain. I THINK World Racers-I think that half the sets were not very good-the boat, the car, and the desert were great, the other three had odd vehicles (the motorcycles was just too expensive). All of the better ones cost more money.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:41 am

the fatal flaw was that tlc made too many themes in 2010. while you may not think it bombed but you got to look at how a theme sold not just in ny or in your tru store. there were way too many sets left over after christmas compared to years before hence you and other afols were able to score 50% sales from so many retailers. in fact, this year, black friday sales were worse off than regular clearance.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:08 pm

BobaFett2 wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote: Those aren't core themes. Kingdoms and Space Police are all subthemes of core themes. Subthemes end all the time. The superthemes, Castle and Space (respectively), will come back later (such as with Alien Invasion).

Kingdoms replaced Castle. It's still castle, and castle sets are a core theme. It's not like LEGO would go "Let's redo Castle for only one year!", no matter what we will get Castle sets. Castle, Space and City are all core themes and they will be some of those sets every year, even in the theme changes.

Space Police 3 is clearly dead because it's being replaced, I actually like the theme, but I lvoe the looks of the new alien invasion. I like how LEGO tries to mix Space themes every few years. Castle and Town are pretty much always the same, however Kingdoms this year looks good and different.

I still stand by that World Racers was a flop, but either way we have seen the summer sets for next year, it's dead. You don't hear buzz over the theme. If it did sell I could see new teams being added. LEGO releases basic sales numbers, so we will see what did best soonish.

PoP was actually a perfectly fine theme, the movie bombed and that killed the sets. I actually think they would have sold better if they didn't have a license name and was instead called "Desert Kingdoms" or something.

Toy Story is dead because LEGO has a lot of new themes this year, and there is no more TS movies. I think it's being replaced by Cars in System scale. But maybe it will return if LEGO can think of something new to add. It just feels like a very limited theme. Probably a decent seller through. I was only saying PoP and WR bombed, not the other two.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:06 am

Brick & Blue wrote:
BobaFett2 wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote: Those aren't core themes. Kingdoms and Space Police are all subthemes of core themes. Subthemes end all the time. The superthemes, Castle and Space (respectively), will come back later (such as with Alien Invasion).

Kingdoms replaced Castle. It's still castle, and castle sets are a core theme. It's not like LEGO would go "Let's redo Castle for only one year!", no matter what we will get Castle sets. Castle, Space and City are all core themes and they will be some of those sets every year, even in the theme changes.

Space Police 3 is clearly dead because it's being replaced, I actually like the theme, but I lvoe the looks of the new alien invasion. I like how LEGO tries to mix Space themes every few years. Castle and Town are pretty much always the same, however Kingdoms this year looks good and different.

I still stand by that World Racers was a flop, but either way we have seen the summer sets for next year, it's dead. You don't hear buzz over the theme. If it did sell I could see new teams being added. LEGO releases basic sales numbers, so we will see what did best soonish.

PoP was actually a perfectly fine theme, the movie bombed and that killed the sets. I actually think they would have sold better if they didn't have a license name and was instead called "Desert Kingdoms" or something.

Toy Story is dead because LEGO has a lot of new themes this year, and there is no more TS movies. I think it's being replaced by Cars in System scale. But maybe it will return if LEGO can think of something new to add. It just feels like a very limited theme. Probably a decent seller through. I was only saying PoP and WR bombed, not the other two.
What I meant was that they are subthemes of core themes. Kingdoms did not replace Castle-it replaced the 2007-2009 subtheme, but the core theme remains.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Space Police 3 seems slated to be removed with the advent of Alien Conquest and surprisingly Power Miners appears to be biting the dust this year. Every single set is on clearance at my local Target.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 am

Space Police has already been removed from the "Shop by Theme" section on Lego's site. I was looking for it this weekend. Spacepolice.lego.com is still up.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:28 am

legitimatealex wrote:Space Police 3 seems slated to be removed with the advent of Alien Conquest and surprisingly Power Miners appears to be biting the dust this year. Every single set is on clearance at my local Target.
i haven't written off power miners yet.
with the trans blue ice pieces on the ninjago ice dragon, i still hold out hope for the rumored ice power miners.
:roll:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:43 am

ncbarrett wrote:
legitimatealex wrote:Space Police 3 seems slated to be removed with the advent of Alien Conquest and surprisingly Power Miners appears to be biting the dust this year. Every single set is on clearance at my local Target.
i haven't written off power miners yet.
with the trans blue ice pieces on the ninjago ice dragon, i still hold out hope for the rumored ice power miners.
:roll:
Yeah, but considering all of the previous themes ends, this is it for them too.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

mrfootball
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

2011 Discontinued LEGO Sets

Post by mrfootball » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Anyone notice the detail information on Amazon below the USC Death Star, Emerald Night and Battle of Endor sets, it says in bold print under Product Details "Discontinued by Manufacturer - Yes"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html? ... ative=9325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Ice on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split Topic

peanut
Knight
Knight

Re: 2011 Discontinued LEGO Sets

Post by peanut » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:23 pm

mrfootball wrote:Anyone notice the detail information on Amazon below the USC Death Star, Emerald Night and Battle of Endor sets, it says in bold print under Product Details "Discontinued by Manufacturer - Yes"
no I had not noticed that before. Weird...Fire Brigade 10197 does not say it. I wonder where that is sourced from besides the obvious heheh.

cbaker1974
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: 2011 Discontinued LEGO Sets

Post by cbaker1974 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:15 pm

That is interesting indeed, and it fits in with the retirement windows for these sets...it is a bit strange how there are just a few scattered Lego on Amazon that have this designation. Some obvious ones I checked don't have that attribute marked, but some do (Creator Beach House for example). I looked through a few others and didn't see the "Discontinued" tag marked on any items where it seemed out of place, so looks like there may be some validity to this..