Time to hit the Goodwill!

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Time to hit the Goodwill!

Post by turtle1173 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:26 pm

I hit the motherload the other day and wanted to share, in case you haven't been to your local goodwill. I've heard rumors in the past about Target unloading unsold merchandise to goodwill. Let me tell you ... it must be true.

I walked in to my local goodwill two days ago. They often have racks with their latest goods displayed. I couldn't believe my eyes :shock: There on one rack was 15 new sealed lego sets! 9 Galactic Enforcers, 3 deep sea strikers, 1 Neptune carrier, & 2 PoP fight for the dagger sets.

Yes, I could have bought one of each and left the rest. However, I'm still a bit bitter about standing in line at 3am on Black Friday at Target to get a troll fortress, only to get in the store hours later to find out they never got any in. Sure I could have bought the Galactic enforcer for $70 but I didn't. I went to Target week after week only to see 25 enforcers lining the shelves and not selling. I waited for them to go to $50, they never did. Suddenly they were gone. No, these sets were at the goodwill and they would all be mine :twisted:

OK, I bought them all. I had about 3 seconds hesitation before piling them all up on the counter. Jaws dropped, the looks I received were enough to make a weaker man put some back but I would not be detered. I stood there proudly. Yes, I wanted them all and Yes I did want them all in bags. No, I didn't need help carrying them, I would make 2 trips to the truck.

Seriously though, it was a fine day. The sun was shining brighter and somehow someway everything was going to be OK :D

Ah yes, the prices: Galatic Enforcer was $25.99 :shock: , Neptune carrier was $15.99, fight for the dagger & deep sea strikers were $5.99.

I love goodwill because you never know what you might find. I'm sure this isn't limited to my area. Check it out and maybe you might hit the motherload.

Luciant
Count
Count

Re: Time to hit the Goodwill!

Post by Luciant » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:51 pm

I've always been tempted to go in my local ones hoping to find someone who donated their collection cuz they didn't realize the gold they had... haven't been in one yet....

Definately will swing by mine now that you mention it.

I totally can relate to you.... I've gotten "the look" several times during sales at TRU Target, and Walmart. Always "WoW, some little guy is real lucky" (when they are for me)... i just say "Ya, we build them together... it's great family time." LOL.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

cbaker1974
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by cbaker1974 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Last month when the Xmas tree and Snowman Polybags went to 90% off at ToysRUs I went to a store and bought some. A couple weeks later I returned and they were still hanging around, seemingly untouched...so I decided I would just clear out the remaining stock of them (about 40 bags) and hold them for next Christmas...after all, they had been there 2 weeks and nobody was biting, so I figure this is no problem.

Walk up the the counter and the cashier says rather loudly "YOU BOUGHT ALL THE LEGOS...HMMM"

Now mind you, this particular store has problems moving stock and doing inventory turns...there are still sets of The Twilight hanging around, which has been discontinued for some time...I guess this TRU just likes to collect and display instead of sell goods.

Thanks for the heads up, will have to check out some local Goodwills and enjoy that signature "Goodwill Smell" along the way :)

jsnweitzel
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by jsnweitzel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:55 pm

I had also heard of Target sending their stock, including Lego, to Goodwill. I stop by my local store when I'm grocery shopping next door. I never expected to see any. I pick up a random book for my son sometimes.

A few weeks ago my Goodwill had a few boxes. Cant remember which ones now except for the Ben10. Unfortunately, my store overprices everything. The new stuff, the used stuff, way too expensive. I took one look at the prices and decided that I could have gotten the sets for the same price when they were on sale and put them back on the shelf. I remember the Ben10 sets were over $10 a piece.

You got a good deal. I would have bought them too.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:23 pm

cbaker1974 wrote:Last month when the Xmas tree and Snowman Polybags went to 90% off at ToysRUs I went to a store and bought some. A couple weeks later I returned and they were still hanging around, seemingly untouched...so I decided I would just clear out the remaining stock of them (about 40 bags) and hold them for next Christmas...after all, they had been there 2 weeks and nobody was biting, so I figure this is no problem.

Walk up the the counter and the cashier says rather loudly "YOU BOUGHT ALL THE LEGOS...HMMM"

Now mind you, this particular store has problems moving stock and doing inventory turns...there are still sets of The Twilight hanging around, which has been discontinued for some time...I guess this TRU just likes to collect and display instead of sell goods.

Thanks for the heads up, will have to check out some local Goodwills and enjoy that signature "Goodwill Smell" along the way :)
What City do you live in? I might have to call your TRU to see what other Discontinued sets they have that I might be able to try to snag =)
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Post by turtle1173 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:32 pm

When walmart had there after Christmas sale this year with a bunch of mark downs, I found the fire boat at one goodwill. It had been opened and the goodwill price tag On it was $35.99!! I laughed and told my son we could go down the street and get it new at walmart for $35. Last week walmart marked the remaining fireboats to $20. Nice.

Incidentally, this one goodwill I go to has a subway shop next store. It's the best smelling goodwill you will find, lol.

Thundarr
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Thundarr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:09 am

edit - nevermind
Last edited by Thundarr on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Post by turtle1173 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 am

I found a series 3 minifig at goodwill today. One single package. I was surprised to find out that it was the fisherman. Not a bad deal for 99 cents. I wish they would of had a lot more.

rogerwisco
Peasant
Peasant

Post by rogerwisco » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:19 pm

I've picked up some good LEGO at Goodwill before...last year I scored 10 or 11 of the old Star Wars mini sets (not the polybags) including the Falcon for 3 bucks each...all factory sealed. Needless to say someone seriously undervalued them.

I also agree with those who say that Goodwill overprices some things. I saw a battle of naboo there a few weeks ago that was 17.99 with all the minifigures removed! It's all luck, but worth checking out on occasion.

mrfootball
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mrfootball » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:13 am

Never have I seen Lego at any of the Houston area Goodwill stores ( and there must be tons of them being donated ). I sense a conspiracy as Houston rarely\never puts it's stuff on shoplego.com

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:34 am

Ya, I've checked two different goodwills in my area and the closest thong I saw to Lego was a halo. Maybe one day I'll stumble Kongo an awesome find there

marcusloignon
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by marcusloignon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:27 pm

I checked 3 around the Atlanta metro area, and nothing.

turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Post by turtle1173 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Found 4 more Lego sets at goodwill today. AT-ST polybag for 49 cents. Ninjago polybag for 99 cents. Star wars snow trooper battlepack for $6.99. Finally the space police raid VPR for $6.99. All were unopened. Never know what you might find at the goodwill!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:37 pm

turtle1173 wrote:Finally the space police raid VPR for $6.99.
AWWW, man, that's one of my favorite sets since emerging from my dark ages - wish I found some on clearance, myself, I would have bought a bunch of those - great parts, great figures, can't lose.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

zztoy
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by zztoy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:55 pm

I remember a couple of years back during the summer when Target had tons of the Star Wars Republic Attack Gunship 7676 reduced to 59.98. I put all 5 in my wagon and got extreme looks at the cash register. Sold a few for 120 a year later, and saw how the price jumped even higher after. People just don't know.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:16 pm

the goodwills around here auction all the LEGO they get.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Lol people don't know, but Goodwill apparently does =)

turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Post by turtle1173 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 am

Got a couple more 49 cent series 3 minifigs the other day. Also got a quart sized zip lock bag full of lego's with 2 minifigs. One was a pirate and the other was from the agents line. All legos were really dirty. But after a nice bath, they cleaned up good. There was probably 100 pieces all together. Got the bag for $1. Always keep your eyes open, LOL.

turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Post by turtle1173 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Another score at goodwill tonight, although nothing too major. Picked up 8 PoP ostrich race sets for $3.99 each! Wish they would have had some other sets too but that was it.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Honestly, I would check back in with them in a week or so. All the Targets in my area are pretty much bare of the sets that were on clearance and I don't think they got sold cuz most of what was left had stayed at 30% off Clearance... I think they gave it 2-3 weeks at 'clearance' then shipped everything out.