Target selling discontinued Castle Set

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
aaronptrck
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Target selling discontinued Castle Set

Post by aaronptrck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:29 pm

One of the sets that I was bummed that I missed out on was #7097 Trolls' Mountain Fortress.
Lego sold out (here in the USA) in early June 2010.

Interestingly enough I was at my local Target today, and happened to spot... not one, but ~20 of these discontinued sets for $100.99. This price is above MSRP, but hey; cheaper than eBay!

Anyone else finding this set at Target?

Eddy976
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Target selling discontinued Castle Set

Post by Eddy976 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Thats cause they're stocking up for the black friday sale. These will go for $65 each. You might wanna check this thread. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1642

aaronptrck
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by aaronptrck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:58 pm

heh, so I paid $35 more for a set that would be on sale in 3 days? (How do you say FML!)

WELL in a different context; Hope you enjoy your Mercedes that I helped you buy Jørgen Vig Knudstorp! :p

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:42 am

Haha they also have Galactic Enforcer for Black Friday, so don't buy that one too!
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:47 am

Wow....crap. I'm spending my money at my local LEGO store because I'll get an exclusive grand re-opening set (robot). I want that set so badly.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:51 am

If you haven't opened it yet, I would return it and go back on Friday. You fell for a rather shady plot, methinks - Targets across the board are putting these sets out early in (what I think to be) the hopes that they will sell them at full-price before the sale starts.

If you've opened it, maybe you can see about a price-adjustment... but I wouldn't count on it.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:59 am

vynsane wrote:If you haven't opened it yet, I would return it and go back on Friday. You fell for a rather shady plot, methinks - Targets across the board are putting these sets out early in (what I think to be) the hopes that they will sell them at full-price before the sale starts.

If you've opened it, maybe you can see about a price-adjustment... but I wouldn't count on it.
Yeah, stores always want the money. Maybe if you bought it thursday night, but if you opened it, it's too late. Anyways, the set is really nice. I just wish I had the money budgeted for it. Oh well...
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:09 am

i suggest keeping it, going on BF getting it at a discount if you can.
then take back full price set.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

aaronptrck
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by aaronptrck » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:48 am

vynsane wrote:If you haven't opened it yet, I would return it and go back on Friday. You fell for a rather shady plot, methinks - Targets across the board are putting these sets out early in (what I think to be) the hopes that they will sell them at full-price before the sale starts.

Haha... Well that sounds like a good idea; however it's already been built! (Took me less than 3 hours to build a $100 set.... ugh!).

Despite the fact I got ripped; There's no guarantee that if I were to go on Friday (at a 'normal people' hour) that they'd still have it! Target's LEGO aisle was decimated yesterday afternoon... so now's definitely the time to buy!

aaronptrck
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by aaronptrck » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:57 pm

So for those of you who laughed your butt off at me: There is a turn-around point to my story.

I went back to Target today (they still had the set in stock) and at the suggestion of a family member I told the customer service employee that I paid $100.99 for a set that they had for $64.99.... Well before I knew it $33 was coming back in my pocket! :D (I just had my receipt)

The moral of the story is... Target wants your business; They matched what I paid verses what the set cost today. (And they kept me as their customer a Happy-Camper! :D)

Ohh... and like a true AFOL, I went back to get "Freeing Dobby" with my $33 :p

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:13 am

I never laughed my butt off, it was more like :( than :lol:

Glad to see they honored the price for you, and that you had the fortitude to only use $10 out of the $33 you got back - I would've easily ended up with a $30+ set that day ;)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

MisterFubar
Peasant
Peasant

Post by MisterFubar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:41 am

aaronptrck wrote:So for those of you who laughed your butt off at me: There is a turn-around point to my story.

I went back to Target today (they still had the set in stock) and at the suggestion of a family member I told the customer service employee that I paid $100.99 for a set that they had for $64.99.... Well before I knew it $33 was coming back in my pocket! :D (I just had my receipt)

The moral of the story is... Target wants your business; They matched what I paid verses what the set cost today. (And they kept me as their customer a Happy-Camper! :D)

Ohh... and like a true AFOL, I went back to get "Freeing Dobby" with my $33 :p
Most stores will honor a sale price within about 30 days if it goes on sale after you purchased it. I know more than a few people that do all of their black Friday shopping in the couple days leading up to Turkey Day and casually walk into the stores customer service midmorning on Black Friday with their receipts and get the difference back.