Advent Calendars

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
marigirls
I'm New !

Advent Calendars

Post by marigirls » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been buying the Advent Calendars for years now but this year they seem to be sold out everywhere and being scalped on Amazon and Ebay. Does anyone know what is going on, if there was a limited amount produced or if stores may possibly get in more before December 1st?

Thanks to any and all who respond. :-)

pbb99
Knight
Knight

Re: Advent Calendars

Post by pbb99 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:37 pm

as of a couple days ago, I was still seeing quite a few Advent Calendars on shelves in various stores around the Vancouver BC area (Walmart, Toys R Us, etc).

marigirls
I'm New !

Post by marigirls » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:58 pm

I should have pointed out that I am in the US. All stores online and locally are sold out completely. I have never seen this happen before.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:07 pm

marigirls wrote:I should have pointed out that I am in the US. All stores online and locally are sold out completely. I have never seen this happen before.
It happens sometimes. I noticed that most online vendors are out of stock BUT I've seen them in stock in both my local Kroger and Meijer's stores (in Kentucky, USA) Good luck!

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:49 pm

Last year they sold out from most online retailers in in mid November, I learned my lesson and bought them the first of October this year. Your best bet, like StClair and pbb99 have said, is to look in physical retail stores.

marigirls
I'm New !

Post by marigirls » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks everyone, I never thought to check Krogers, I forgot they usually have toys for the holidays.

CraigV
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CraigV » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:04 am

If anyone has any tips on finding the Star Wars one in Canada (specifically Ontario GTA area) would love to hear it.

Every online retailer I can think of is sold out as are every physical store I've been in.

Kids decided too late in the season that they actually wanted one again this year.

CLMF Bricks
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CLMF Bricks » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Really? There are tons of calendars in my stores around the GTA. If you really want a specific store, check out TRU and Target at Upper Canada Mall. ALso, the Fairview Lego store had some last time I checked. Just don't go to Walmart and you'll be fine.

Piece_of_Evil
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Piece_of_Evil » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Have seen all three calendars around the Milton, Burlington and Oakville area. Not talking heaps mind you, but plenty of City and Friends, Star Wars seemed the most popular (this was between 2 Canadian Super Stores, couple of Targets and the TRU in Burl., good luck!)

marigirls
I'm New !

Post by marigirls » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Just an update, I found a site that was relatively close to retail so I snagged it right away. The box arrived damaged as well as the set. I am so pissed off, you can not even know. Next year I will be getting this as soon as it is available to avoid this nightmare.

SlickP
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SlickP » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Just like Santa's workshop. Sold out online and not in two lego stores I checked. I think last year they made too many so scaled back this year.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:05 pm

marigirls wrote:Just an update, I found a site that was relatively close to retail so I snagged it right away. The box arrived damaged as well as the set. I am so pissed off, you can not even know. Next year I will be getting this as soon as it is available to avoid this nightmare.
I'm sorry. Paying over retail is never fun... especially when the item arrives in less than good condition.

Umbra-Manis
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Umbra-Manis » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:36 pm

I saw these at $5 over retail in pottery barn kids last year. No friends though.

pbb99
Knight
Knight

Post by pbb99 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:44 pm

sets like the Advent Calendar and Santa's Workshop are highly unlikely to go on sale before Dec 1 and Dec 25, so might as well nab them when readily available. In Canada, Costco seems to have at least one of the Advent Calendars every year for 25% off retail.

CraigV
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CraigV » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks for the reply everyone. Managed to actually order it off the TRU website when it appeared back in stock for all of 1 day at the end of November. Hasn't shipped yet, but their CSR for online orders has told me they are getting the stock. I hope so. They just dropped the price of it on their website to $35 (which they have no stock of so it's kinda evil to advertise it that way) but they are going to credit me the price difference too! So ... if anyone has bought that Star Wars advent calendar in the last 45 days at TRU, call them up and see if you can get some of your money back.

CraigV
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CraigV » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:18 am

Update - So, the good folks at TRU just cancelled my order. I'm SO done with that friggin' store.

Chance of finding this advent calendar now are next to zero I assume given the time of year. Just wasted nearly 2 weeks waiting for those scrooges.

To rub salt in the wound, they still have the thing on their website as on sale for $35 but not available. Suggest EVERYONE that bought it in the last 45 days asks for a price adjustment.

pbb99
Knight
Knight

Post by pbb99 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:24 am

if you're desperate, there are still some Advent Calendars on ebay that aren't too crazily marked up. Craigslist in my area has a couple without too much markup as well. But at this point, finding one for retail is pretty much impossible.

scatmanjack
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scatmanjack » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:54 am

Local Kroger had some City Advent at 20% off last night...

CraigV
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CraigV » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:14 pm

pbb99 wrote:if you're desperate, there are still some Advent Calendars on ebay that aren't too crazily marked up. Craigslist in my area has a couple without too much markup as well. But at this point, finding one for retail is pretty much impossible.
Not too concerned. Would love to get it for the kids, and know they wanted it, but they want lots of things they don't get :-)

Just mainly pissed at TRU for the BS and lies. Pretty much fed up with that company. I'll shut up about it now however.