Never buy Lego from toysrus!!

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
mrpicnmix
I'm New !

Never buy Lego from toysrus!!

Post by mrpicnmix » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm sure most of you already know but the lego prices are toysrus are TERRIBLE. An x wing in store costs $90 while amazon is selling the same set for $50 with no shipping.

Also I just found out that when you price match they charge a "shipping fee" which is a complete ripoff

I'm only going back to Tru if they have exclusive polybags or the buy one and get half off the other (Which in most cases is a complete ripoff)

pbb99
Knight
Knight

Re: Never buy Lego from toysrus!!

Post by pbb99 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:36 pm

your post reads like "I'm never buying from Toys R Us again!!! Unless they have something I want!!! Or have a decent sale!!!" ;)

It's not news here that Toys R Us often marks things up. So when they do have sales, people know not to get too excited about it most of the time. But every once in a while they do have something worthwhile, so I keep an eye on them when shopping around.

johnkelly00
I'm New !

Post by johnkelly00 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:55 pm

Unfortunately, this needs to filed under "water is wet". :D

ytjedi
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ytjedi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 pm

pbb99 wrote:It's not news here that Toys R Us often marks things up. So when they do have sales, people know not to get too excited about it most of the time. But every once in a while they do have something worthwhile, so I keep an eye on them when shopping around.
I agree. In fact I've watched TRU over the last few years and they've actually gotten (a little) better. True the "shipping fee" is a bit of a rip, but it is in their fine print, and the way it's worded they should only charge it in a comparable way (ex: if pricing matching Amazon and the item is over $35 they shouldn't charge because it would be Free Shipping on Amazon).

Also last week I was able to use my 15% off coupon on the Ghost/Phantom combo pack that was already marked down to $95. That was a pretty sweet deal.

I've seen from these forum posts that TRU is very YMMV from store-to-store. A lot of what is or isn't allowed will depend on who is ringing you up or who the manager is. Some will stack discounts while others won't; some will let you walk away with armfuls of Exclusive Rocket polys while others are limit 2 or none until this weekend.

It's hit or miss, but the deals are there from time to time. I haven't written them off completely, but they aren't my primary source for LEGO. I usually only go when the good folks on these message boards find something worthwhile.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:31 pm

johnkelly00 wrote:Unfortunately, this needs to filed under "water is wet". :D
The sun is hot.
The ski appears blue to most humans.
LEGOs are expensive.

grymg
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grymg » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Agree, deals are there for TRU, you just have to look harder. Sometimes on ebay they sell $100 TRU gift cards for $85 or something similar. Stack this with a 15% coupon or price match to Amazon and you end up with a good deal. Also, take into account the free gifts (like the modulars which are $20 retail) off the price. the $10 off $50 coupons are really good also.

Wheeefun
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Wheeefun » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:02 pm

grymg wrote:Agree, deals are there for TRU, you just have to look harder. Sometimes on ebay they sell $100 TRU gift cards for $85 or something similar. Stack this with a 15% coupon or price match to Amazon and you end up with a good deal. Also, take into account the free gifts (like the modulars which are $20 retail) off the price. the $10 off $50 coupons are really good also.
Where in the world are you getting those "$10 off $50" coupons? Please, do tell.

grymg
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grymg » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:19 am

It was sometime in June via email blast from TRU.com. But sorry it was actually a free $10 GC with $50 purchase which is essentially the same. I stacked that with a BOGO40% at the time and got X-Men vs. Sentinel set for around $35.

blarghiflargh
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blarghiflargh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:21 am

TRU only charges a shipping fee for price matching if the website charges one. I price-matched a Hobbit Bag End yesterday to Walmart.com which had free shipping and got the full discount. And a free Rocket Raccoon(manager had to override the register for that).

TRU pricing is bad for older sets but their price-match policy makes it a little easier to swallow. If you have their credit card the 10% off on Thursdays is not too bad either, especially for brand new sets which are always MSRP and you get reward points.

poniemomo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by poniemomo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:08 pm

I used the 15% coupon today on a Friends 29.99 MSRP set and got the free Rocket Raccoon set (they were out of the TMNT and Friends bags) so while TRU does add a mark up to some sets a savvy shopper can always find a slightly better deal.