How to store sealed Lego boxes

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
lordoflego
Knight
Knight

How to store sealed Lego boxes

Post by lordoflego » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to store sealed Lego sets? I am talking about bigger boxes, fire brigade, SSD and such? I got some for couple of year now. They are just standing on the floor in Lego bags, but I've noticed some of the sticky tabs/seals start to let go or slide down (gravity?). What about moisture, or keep it in super dry conditions?
VENI VIDI VICI

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: How to store sealed Lego boxes

Post by crazybirdman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:39 pm

anything I'm storing long tern stays in the box that LEGO ships them in. You may have to turn up the charm to get an employee to give you one though.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:34 pm

I've wondered the same thing. Should they be placed flat (shortest side up.. on their back)? Placed on their bottom (like they are displayed on store shelves)?

I've never noticed any of the tape/seals sliding down but I've never stored any of the large ones like you described. IF you lie them on their backs I would certainly be careful about stacking them. The package fronts are so wide that will easily cause dents or damage to the wide fronts of the packages.

For me it is simply too difficult to store sets for investments purposes with my limited space and I don't like the possibility of damage when shipping such large sets either.

I buy very few to store in sealed condition. Most everything that I buy is opened for either my son or myself. The few that I do store in sealed condition are usually small ones simply because the larger ones cost more to purchase and because they are easier to store.
I place them inside larger boxes. Boxes that are the size of Arctic Batman vs Mr. Freeze 76000 and smaller go inside a larger box with others of similar size. I have a 2 of these and 2 Superman vs Power Armor Lex 6862 along with other similar sets in a box together. I found a box that they could fit (standing on end.. like they would be on shelf in store) with very little empty space around the packages.
I made the mistake before of placing boxes of this size in box with packages that were much smaller. The smaller box pressed against the middle of a larger box and made a tear in the box.
I have 1x Star Wars set with Rancor that is in the original box that it was shipped in from Amazon. This one is lying on its back (lying flat). The box is 2x as tall as the package which allowed me to put bubble wrap pockets both under and on top of the package. I have 1x Hobbit Unexpected Gathered that I stored in the same fashion. I have them in a the top of a closet.
I am certainly not an expert on such matters since I don't really buy for investing purposes.
If something happens to the packaging of these sets I will gladly open them and either keep the contents or sell the a few of the minifigures while keeping other contents.
I never buy sets to be stored sealed if I don't like it well enough to open it and keep the contents and I always buy it at a discount when doing so.

Several times sets like Superman vs Power Armor Lex were perfect for a Birthday gift for a friend of my son and I didn't even have to go to the store to pick up a gift :-D I already had it onhand and I replaced it later.

Most of my sets are sets that I think either I or someone close to me (especially my son... who usually decides he wants something when it is no longer available) may want in the future after retirement.

I'm curious what sort of advice others offer.

kibosh
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by kibosh » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:08 am

I've noticed the tape issue, too. After a few years, the tape just seems to "let go". Also, I find if I store them standing up like they do in the store, everything settles to the bottom, and creates a bit of a bulge in the box.

emazers
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by emazers » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:57 pm

The Best solution for this problem which I been doing for 10 years, is box your sets up when you get them, this way they stay in perfect condition for many years. I have 1000 or more sets all boxed up ready to be mailed, and some of them have been boxed up for 5 years.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:17 am

You get your boxes from Ubox emazers?
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

emazers
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by emazers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:52 am

Uline or Staples.com The Best boxes for the GE,HH,PS,batman Ayslum are ULINE.COM only has them 24X4X20 Bundles of 25 only. If you box them up they will stay perfect for years.

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Good luck finding the space to store LEGO's preboxed for shipping. That doubles the space you need.

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by crazybirdman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Yeah, but if space is an issue from someone, maybe this isn't the best venture for them?

Breeder
I'm New !

Post by Breeder » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:04 pm

I have loads of these plastic underbed storage boxes from Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20222665/

I actually bubblewrap all my sets as well then I can stack them in the loft. All the large sets I have fit perfectly.