LegoShop Orders 12% tax (Canada)

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
strongholds
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

LegoShop Orders 12% tax (Canada)

Post by strongholds » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:55 pm

After placing an order for cad bane's speeder last week, i notice a new tax put into place at lego. When i placed the web order, it shows up as 5% GST tax. When I got my email confirmation, it was showing up as just tax, but 12%.

Whats even more funny is this. On my credit card bill it shows up 2 charges from lego. 1 charge is the set itself with 5% tax. Underneath it, theres another bill from lego showing up only with 7% tax. I believe lego just recently raise their taxes.

I remember last month, taxes were still only 5% after Canada day. Sucks to order online now.
Last edited by vynsane on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from 'LEGO Availability'

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: LegoShop Orders 12% tax (Canada)

Post by hatcher » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Were do you live in Canada? Ontario and BC just introduced the Harmonized sales tax, so instead of paying provincial tax and gst, you only pay one tax. If you live in a province without a provincial sales tax, you better contact LEGO and/or your credit card to find out what that second charge is.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

strongholds
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by strongholds » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm from BC so i'm not suprise. Just shock lego decided to make it 12% now after it has been a month since the tax increase.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:08 am

Well, if it makes you feel better, we pay 13% in Ontario, and we pay it on gasoline too. I understand you got spared that massive tax grab.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

strongholds
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by strongholds » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:55 am

hatcher wrote:Well, if it makes you feel better, we pay 13% in Ontario, and we pay it on gasoline too. I understand you got spared that massive tax grab.
Well, we got the "Carbon" tax for gasoline. It does not show up but the tax is already included in the price. Ordering from legoshop was one of the good things back in the old days when there was free shipping and only 1 tax. Sigh.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:01 pm

strongholds wrote:Ordering from legoshop was one of the good things back in the old days when there was free shipping and only 1 tax. Sigh.
You can't fault LEGO for merely abiding by the tax laws of you country. Free shipping, however, there are no laws against (that I know of) so, yeah, that would be nice.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Tomatoe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:50 pm

vynsane wrote:
strongholds wrote:Ordering from legoshop was one of the good things back in the old days when there was free shipping and only 1 tax. Sigh.
You can't fault LEGO for merely abiding by the tax laws of you country. Free shipping, however, there are no laws against (that I know of) so, yeah, that would be nice.
Think VIP points and it might make you feel better as it can pay off some of the taxes.

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Just keep in mind that it can always be worse :)

Most European countries have a 17-23% VAT (Value Added Tax), which is pretty much a sales tax.