Advice - Many Sets to Sell

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
jessica52877
Peasant
Peasant

Advice - Many Sets to Sell

Post by jessica52877 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm looking for some advice. My mother passed away a few months ago and had quite a few lego sets that I now need to sell. She bought them for my son to have something to do at her house and she loved legos too like I do, most are unopened.

I used to sell on ebay years ago but that doesn't seem like a great option now a days. I love facebook and sell a lot there (kids clothes, books, etc). Are there any fun lego groups on facebook that you know of. I've also thought about Amazon because I've bought a few of our sets there that I couldn't find elsewhere. I completely forgot about brinklink until I came here. Thoughts?

I've traded and bought a few things on here in the past too, just seems like here might not be the best option. I need them out of my house and also to cover some expenses that we have incurred dealing with all this stuff. I'm also more nervous now a days selling big $ items than in the past.

Thanks!

Luciant
Count
Count

Re: Advice - Many Sets to Sell

Post by Luciant » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:25 am

eBay, bricklink, craigslist are your best bets. Facebook takes too long to generate followers and they mostly look rather than buy
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:14 am

First and foremost, our sympathies for your loss.

Regarding the Lego sets, if you feel the need to unload them quickly, posting them here or in the marketplace forum on Brickset may be your best option. I find people tend to be more honest on the lego forums than the average ebay or craigslist buyer/seller. Craigslist is definitely the easiest, as you wont have to deal with shipping. Bricklink is good for selling parts, but not so great for selling sealed sets. Brickowl.com is a new competitor to Bricklink, but the audience tends to be relatively smaller. Ebay fees have gotten to be intolerable. I've had very good success selling on Amazon, but items need to be priced competitively and the buyers there tend to be "picky"---the buyer has 90 days to return the item for almost any reason. So it may not be a great place to sell off a collection if you want to be rid of it.

Which one to use all depends on how much energy you are willing/able to put into it, how much risk you are willing to carry, and how much you are hoping to get from them.

If you want them out of the house quickly, you might consider opening an amazon marketplace account and using the "fulfilled by amazon" option. This allows you to ship them to an amazon warehouse, and amazon takes care of the order fulfillment. Amazon charges storage fees, so you will want to list them at competitive prices. And, I've heard returns are more common when done this way. But, it takes a lot of the work out of the process.

If you want to post a list of the set numbers, either on the forum or as a private message, I'm happy to give more specific advice.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:27 pm

I primarily sell sets as opposed to parts on bricklink and lately have been really doing well. Space is right abou sets if you are trying to get specific amounts, however I've found that so long as you are close to the lowest price, sets sell pretty well. I think variety also helps so ppl can combine shipping. Price too high or refuse to negotiate/lower prices if needed can cause you to sit on sets for longer.

Space is spot on: best avenue will be determined by how much work/effort and the amounts you are seeking. Selling individually nets more but takes longer.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

jessica52877
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jessica52877 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Thank you so much for all the advice and sympathy. These few posts were extremely informational and more info than any friend could tell me, than again, I'm the one that loves legos. Not them. I'm willing to put in the work with the shipping, listing and what not so that part isn't an issue, in fact craigslist is probably where I am least comfortable. My husband has made me fear it.

I might look into Amazon more, I didn't realize the fulfilled by Amazon part was run the way it is. Interesting.

Most of the sets are the holiday ones, starting with the train and each building after. There are also several advent calendars. A lot of big ticket items, while I'm not looking to get rich, I know what they are worth and willing to take a bit of a hit but really could use the $ to pay for the bills that added up while not working and would love to put the rest away for my son for college. I would keep them all but we have all the same sets, no need for two and no room! I don't even know what to do with all our legos now, although I continue to buy them!

Thanks again!