Lego Employee Discount

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
SpaceLego
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Lego Employee Discount

Post by SpaceLego » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:46 am

Does anyone know the employee perks for working at the lego store?

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Lego Employee Discount

Post by legogeek » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:53 pm

SpaceLego wrote:Does anyone know the employee perks for working at the lego store?
Its somewhere around 30% off all lego.

beethead
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Lego Store in Canada?

Post by beethead » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:44 pm

legogeek wrote:
SpaceLego wrote:Does anyone know the employee perks for working at the lego store?
I'd work there part time to get 30% off all Lego. :) Course the wife might not agree with that decision. :(

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:43 am

legogeek wrote:
Really?
I wish i lived closer to one. lol.
I work there part time just for the discount.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Post by legogeek » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:54 am

Yes but I heard they don't like it when employees work there just for discount.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:07 am

legogeek wrote:Yes but I heard they don't like it when employees work there just for discount.
Well obviously my love of LEGOs would be the reason I'd like to work there, so ...
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:45 pm

legogeek wrote:Yes but I heard they don't like it when employees work there just for discount.
I dislike that statement (I've heard it way too many times). They also don't like to hear you're there to get paid (regardless of what job it is, basically)... but you are. That's what a job is, yet the company wants you to WANT to work for the company (reminds me of 'The Breakup' - "Why would I WANT to do the dishes?")

At the end of the day, if they don't want employees to "be there for the benefits", they should stop giving employees those benefits. Since, however, those benefits are an incentive for people to seek employment there in the first place, they should just stop complaining about it. The ironic thing is that while employers generally lament having to give employees benefits in the first place, all the while they demand loyalty to the company that the company doesn't reciprocate in any way, shape or form, judging by the layoffs, shift cuts and benefit package downsizing.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:51 pm

To me, that generous employee discount facilitates the employees buying, and becoming passionate and knowledgable about the product. It's a win-win. Whenever I talk to LEGO Shop at Home employees, they're pumped about the toys they have on their desk and what they're building. And these are mostly women.

JabbaT
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JabbaT » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:02 pm

The discount is nice. I would work there just for the benefit and love for lego :)

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:11 pm

Heck I already end up giving product advice to customers when I'm at the LEGO store even though I don't work there :D
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Lego Employee Discount

Post by calvinwashere2 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Just curious, what kind of discount (%) does Lego employees gets? When new sets comes out or when there's sales, do they get first dibs on it? I would imagine it'd be pretty easy to get a set of Series 1 mini-figs if one were collecting them as an employee, true?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Lego Employee Discount

Post by vynsane » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Mod Note: Spliced and merged.

darknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darknight » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:26 am

Are the discounts same everywhere in the world?

brickz
Knight
Knight

Post by brickz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:00 am

darknight wrote:Are the discounts same everywhere in the world?
It should be 30% but i'm not 100% sure.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:25 am

calvinwashere2 wrote:I would imagine it'd be pretty easy to get a set of Series 1 mini-figs if one were collecting them as an employee, true?
Most likely employees have to adhere to a 5-per rule the same as any other customers. Generally speaking, judging by any retail job I've had in the past, the discount is where the employee perks end - at least in regards to buying product. I'd wager it would be easier for an employee to get a collection of minifigures by the mere fact that they'd most likely be in the store at the time they receive them - although, even then, it may be a case of "customers get first pick" - some retail establishments go so far as to say you can't buy anything until the end of your shift, and you can't hold items for yourself until then. I'm sure it happens on occasion anyway, but the corporate policy and any disciplinary actions it entails are there to greatly reduce the occurrence.

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:32 am

I heard or read somewhere that Lego employees get to designer their own minifig and give those out as calling cards (but this may limited only to corporate and/or designers)...would be nice if store employees has that option as well, but not likely since I haven't seen any store employee hand out minifigs of themselves.

Like any job, the trade offs probably make the discount just a small incentive. I would take more joy from seeing the customers bring in MOCs and watching kids have a good time (minus all the screaming and crying when their parents say no to their latest purchase). :lol:

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:53 am

One of the things I noticed is that the Employee do get to build those sets that they showcase. 30% seems high of a discount. I have to say the some of the Employees are highly knowledgeable with older sets and all. So it's only to Lego's advantage to give the employees a discount. Plus I'm sure that Lego still makes a profit.

I know that Gamestop stopped giving discount to their employees because the employees were buying most of the stuff for friends and family. HD and Lowes only gives 10% for that reason.

Zithy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Zithy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Their normal discount is 30%

Their employee appreciation day discount is more :)

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:02 am

Zithy wrote:Their normal discount is 30%

Their employee appreciation day discount is more :)
Even for part timers? I might get job their during xmas :mrgreen: