Cuusoo 21104 Mars Curiosity Rover availability

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Cuusoo 21104 Mars Curiosity Rover availability

Post by vynsane » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:53 am

slayerdread wrote:I just called and was told it is sold out and there will be NO more! :(
WHAT??? This is kind of ticking me off.

Looks like it's time to build my own based on the official instructions, the LDD file or PDF instructions provided by the creator, Perijove, straight from the Cuusoo page.

I would much rather give LEGO my money and get the box and detailed instruction booklet, but at this point I don't think I'd buy it if it came back in stock. What a botched job!

I wish we could find out whether or not they even produced 10,000 units (after it received 10,000 supporters).
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

mink66
Peasant
Peasant

Post by mink66 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:40 am

Wow, glad I got mine during the "second" production run. I "pre-ordered" back at the beginning of February and the Rover arrived just last week. It's a fun build. It didn't really contain any unusual pieces, so I'm sure you could easily Bricklink any pieces you may not already have. This was my first Cuusoo set. Do the Cuusoo boxes always open up more like a "pizza box" versus the traditional side flaps?

lordoflego
Knight
Knight

Post by lordoflego » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:31 pm

It's all a point of view, there was enough time for everyone to buy it so there should be no need to complaint, now let the resellers have their fun and profit, besides look at cuusoo hayabusa- nobody cared about that set, Mars rover on the other hand-super hot item....

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:20 pm

lordoflego wrote:It's all a point of view, there was enough time for everyone to buy it so there should be no need to complaint
Obviously not, as I don't have one. It's easy to say "there was enough time for everyone to buy it" when your point of view ignores any and all real-world factors like timing of more pressing monetary commitments (bills, mortgage, taxes, etc) that preclude one from buying hobby items like LEGO.

scatmanjack
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scatmanjack » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:30 am

Not sure if it's legit or not but Toys R Us website has this listed as in stock and ready to ship for $29.99...

I'm in the USA...

Paul

hushed
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by hushed » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:01 am

vynsane wrote:
lordoflego wrote:It's all a point of view, there was enough time for everyone to buy it so there should be no need to complaint
Obviously not, as I don't have one. It's easy to say "there was enough time for everyone to buy it" when your point of view ignores any and all real-world factors like timing of more pressing monetary commitments (bills, mortgage, taxes, etc) that preclude one from buying hobby items like LEGO.
If $30 keeps someone from paying for their mortgage or taxes, they should obviously have other priorities than collecting LEGO as a hobby.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 pm

hushed wrote:If $30 keeps someone from paying for their mortgage or taxes, they should obviously have other priorities than collecting LEGO as a hobby.
Exactly my point, those things were the other priorities. That's just called being a responsible adult. Does that mean I can't then be upset when I have the expendable money but don't have the opportunity to buy the item?

Unless you meant that, by having bills and taxes and other household expenses, I shouldn't bother having a hobby at all... is that really what you meant? Only people who live free of bills and taxes and household expenses are allowed to have hobbies? That's a bit absurd for any situation, much less in the situation where something was only available for a small window of time right after Christmas, then not available for a few weeks, then available for a few days, then not available for a few weeks, then available for another four days before it was stated as being out of production.
scatmanjack wrote:Not sure if it's legit or not but Toys R Us website has this listed as in stock and ready to ship for $29.99...
Interesting... but I'm seeing "Ship-to-home", "Free ship-to-store" and "Free store pick-up today" all grayed out as options with only "Sold in stores" with a green checkmark. I highly doubt my local store would have it in-stock, but I'll call to check. Hopefully this means that TRU will have them online and in-store, and that the rumors of end of production are false.

lordoflego
Knight
Knight

Post by lordoflego » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:53 pm

About rover on toysrus.com, I never saw it at the store and I've seen it on their site just like you said so forget about it, good luck but stores don't have it, stores never had it.
About availability of rover, as different people proved me right, it's all a point of view....(and what Lego decides to do ;-) )

lordoflego
Knight
Knight

Post by lordoflego » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:27 pm

mink66 wrote:Wow, glad I got mine during the "second" production run. I "pre-ordered" back at the beginning of February and the Rover arrived just last week. It's a fun build. It didn't really contain any unusual pieces, so I'm sure you could easily Bricklink any pieces you may not already have. This was my first Cuusoo set. Do the Cuusoo boxes always open up more like a "pizza box" versus the traditional side flaps?
Cuusoo minecraft box is completely different, it's a square box. Hayabusa opens traditional way-flaps on both sides, delorean box is same as Mars rover and I do t know about first cuusoo set.

hushed
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by hushed » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:10 pm

vynsane wrote:Unless you meant that, by having bills and taxes and other household expenses, I shouldn't bother having a hobby at all... is that really what you meant? Only people who live free of bills and taxes and household expenses are allowed to have hobbies? That's a bit absurd for any situation, much less in the situation where something was only available for a small window of time right after Christmas, then not available for a few weeks, then available for a few days, then not available for a few weeks, then available for another four days before it was stated as being out of production.
If $30 in a three month time period is stretching the budget, then LEGO might be too expensive a hobby for someone. I'd recommend they find a hobby without a reoccurring expense which they could enjoy or a reoccurring expense they can afford.

If instead of buying LEGOs, a person paid for their cable bill, chose to go out to eat, or chose some other luxury, then they have no reason to complain about the time frame. Obviously they have other priorities.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:51 pm

lordoflego wrote:
mink66 wrote:Wow, glad I got mine during the "second" production run. I "pre-ordered" back at the beginning of February and the Rover arrived just last week. It's a fun build. It didn't really contain any unusual pieces, so I'm sure you could easily Bricklink any pieces you may not already have. This was my first Cuusoo set. Do the Cuusoo boxes always open up more like a "pizza box" versus the traditional side flaps?
Cuusoo minecraft box is completely different, it's a square box. Hayabusa opens traditional way-flaps on both sides, delorean box is same as Mars rover and I do t know about first cuusoo set.
This is somewhat off topic but I absolutely love the instruction manual for the Delorean. It is so thick and high-quality, I wish all LEGO sets had them. The pizza box style boxes too, so easy and simple.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:15 am

hushed wrote:If $30 in a three month time period is stretching the budget, then LEGO might be too expensive a hobby for someone. I'd recommend they find a hobby without a reoccurring expense which they could enjoy or a reoccurring expense they can afford.
I get what you're saying, and (aside from the rather insulting idea that everyone who can't just buy every LEGO set they want immediately upon its release should just get out of the hobby) that would all be well and good if it were truly available for a full three-month period, but we're really talking about a handful of days throughout that three month period when it was actually available. It was all just really bad timing. As the release was directly after Christmas, I couldn't justify spending another $30 on LEGO (after spending way too much on LEGO over the preceding months - my wife is understanding, but I don't want to press my luck). Any other time it was available, I either had other obligations or didn't jump on it immediately, figuring I'd have time in the future. This was apparently a bad assumption if rumors of discontinuation are true.

ANYWAY, I called LEGO CS yesterday and was not told definitively that it was out of production, the woman used a much more calculated phrase "There is no indication that more will be produced" meaning, basically "They haven't told us one way or the other whether or not more will be produced" - read "We don't know". I'm almost certain this was the same exact phrase used when Minecraft went into and out of availability after it was first released and it's still available to this day. I see no reason why this item will be any different, but I could be wrong.

Apparently, it's been found in LEGOLand Discovery Centers recently. I called the one closest to me, they didn't have any on the shelves but would check "in the back" and see if there were any more there and call me back.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:49 am

Yes, I'm getting a Brickset member to help me grab 2 from his local Discovery Centre. Apparently there is no limit and you get 5% off if you show them your VIP card.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:52 pm

I never heard back from the Westchester LDC (not that I'm surprised).

By happenstance today my wife wanted to check out a cute little toy shop on Long Island (Funky Monkey Toys) while we were down there today and what was the first thing I saw upon entering? You guessed it, a wall of LEGO with 21104 smack dab in the middle.

So check local small toy stores, you might get lucky!

cavington
I'm New !

Post by cavington » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:46 pm

I found a place online that sells them and at retail price. Not marked up. It is in Canada so it might be worth your while to buy other Lego items while you are at it. They will ship to the United States and via the next day. Most item prices are marked up, but these are in Canadian dollars so that is at about $.91 to the American dollar. There are some older Lego sets here as well. Plus a few deals to be had if you look around and do price comparisons. Also no tax. Look around. I've been loving there website.

http://www.playvaluetoys.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bea
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bea » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:11 pm

cavington wrote:I found a place online that sells them and at retail price. Not marked up. It is in Canada so it might be worth your while to buy other Lego items while you are at it. They will ship to the United States and via the next day. Most item prices are marked up, but these are in Canadian dollars so that is at about $.91 to the American dollar. There are some older Lego sets here as well. Plus a few deals to be had if you look around and do price comparisons. Also no tax. Look around. I've been loving there website.

http://www.playvaluetoys.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$26.95 shipping to the US.
$17.95 shipping to Canada.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:57 pm

bea wrote:$26.95 shipping to the US.
$17.95 shipping to Canada.
Yikes, that's a bit high. No other options, either.

cavington
I'm New !

Post by cavington » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:09 pm

I bought eight of the sets plus some other stuff. It ends up being worth it. The shipping for all the stuff I ordered was $50.00. But if you see what they are selling at, it is worth it. Of course I went to the website just a few minutes again and now it says one per customer. With the shipping it is a bit steep. Unless they make the set again that is the cheapest you will ever see it though. Unless you go to a local mall and find a science shop or some other toy store.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:26 pm

cavington wrote:I bought eight of the sets plus some other stuff. It ends up being worth it. The shipping for all the stuff I ordered was $50.00. But if you see what they are selling at, it is worth it. Of course I went to the website just a few minutes again and now it says one per customer. With the shipping it is a bit steep. Unless they make the set again that is the cheapest you will ever see it though. Unless you go to a local mall and find a science shop or some other toy store.
Isn't it limited to one per customer?

cavington
I'm New !

Post by cavington » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:13 pm

It wasn't yesterday.