LEGO Club Meetings - Age Limits?!?

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
scatmanjack
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

LEGO Club Meetings - Age Limits?!?

Post by scatmanjack » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:18 am

Had an interesting experience while attempting to register my daughter for the February in-store LEGO Club Meeting- the LEGO Movie themed one on February 22. Another employee had put a post-it note on the sign-up sheet indicating that attendees needed to be ‘7+’ to attend and the employee registering us gave me all sorts of grief. My daughter is 6 and has attended probably 4-6 of these paid events in the past. I completed the paperwork and paid my fee but a manager is supposed to call me today with a decision. I can understand not having small children (ages 3-4) who could swallow/choke on small pieces but excluding kids that are within age limits of sets is dumbfounding.

I will update this thread once I’ve heard from LEGO…

Anyone else ever have this experience?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: LEGO Club Meetings - Age Limits?!?

Post by vynsane » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:23 am

I knew they had age range limits, but didn't know they enforced them that strictly.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

scatmanjack
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scatmanjack » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 am

Just to clarify, this is the LEGO Club meeting held Saturday mornings about once a month based around a 'theme'. You pay $20 bucks and your kid gets to play with big pile of bricks and used to get a pretty decent swag bag. I've never seen age limits on these. The free monthly mini build always says 6+ but I see them giving sets away to 3 and 4 year olds all the time... NorthPark in Dallas is store.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:57 am

I was trying to find the age restriction clause on the January and February calendars, but it's not there.

I did, however, find a link to this Club Meeting page from May of last year that has the age limit of 6-12, so there is precedent for it. Perhaps they think the Movie-themed meeting is going to fill up faster than others, so they're being more strict about it.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:52 am

They have always been strict with me at the Downtown Disney store

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:20 pm

What did you find out? I think these meetings have become more popular over the years and perhaps they are trying to adhere to an age limit to ensure those who attend fit a certain range. BUT I think 6 is a better starting age than 7 (since as you mentioned many of the sets are even aged 5 and up). Hopefully since you have attended in the past, you were allowed to sign up.

My now 8 year old has been going since age 6 so obviously age limits weren't enforced in the past.

scatmanjack
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scatmanjack » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:26 pm

Never received a call from manager... They have my money, I have a receipt and VIP points so I guess she's good to go...

Might speak with someone on Tuesday night at Mini build event for clarification...

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:28 pm

scatmanjack wrote:Never received a call from manager... They have my money, I have a receipt and VIP points so I guess she's good to go...

Might speak with someone on Tuesday night at Mini build event for clarification...
Since you paid and filled out the paper work, I wouldn't tempt fate by asking, show up and they'll have to let you in, right? Good luck!