[Review] 8058 Guardian of the Deep (Atlantis)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
100%
Average
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 1

Luciant
Count
Count

[Review] 8058 Guardian of the Deep (Atlantis)

Post by Luciant » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 am

Indexed

8058 Guardian of the Deep
8058-1.jpg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Set Details:
(Atlantis) Released 2010
144 Pieces with 1 Minifigs
Retail Price: $14.99 USD
Price Per Piece: $0.10
Brickset Description:
This treasure guardian packs a bite!

In his search for the red Atlantis treasure key, the deep-sea diver has encountered one of the deadliest guardian creatures of all: an enormous black shark covered in Atlantean markings! Will the diver's harpoon and swimming skills be enough to escape the shark's snapping jaws and thrashing tail with the precious key, and its clue to the lost city's location? The heroic diver minifigure has an awesome harpoon Red Atlantis treasure key included; collect them all Fearsome shark guardian has biting jaws, moving tail and poseable head

Background
So I was super excited to get this set. I love sharks, and obviously this being a big one had my interests very high already. I would have been happy with just the shark, but toss in a minifig and special token, bonus! This set did not want to go on sale very often and for very much... but being the Lego Sale maniac that I am, I eventually caught it on sale :)
Box Top.jpg
Box Bot.jpg
I love this box =) Great art, easy to open/break down and store. Thank you!

Minifigs
Sorry I couldn't find the picture for this set, and I wasn't gonna grab a random shot from another pic I had. I figure you can see the 1 minifigure in the completion picture at the bottom. You know my camera is terrible for up close shot of minifigs anyway.

Instruction
Inst.jpg
The instructions are small and straight forward. Only one book, so this is a solo project.

Parts/Stickers
Stickers.jpg
The stickers for this set are not bad. Very easy to put on, and I love the striking yellow on black. It makes the shark 'pop'. I don't like stickers, but this theme is sticker-happy and at least uses them well. There are a few pieces that are semi-uncommon, and the others can be used for other fun MOC monsters.

Construction
01 Start.jpg
My usual "before" picture =)
02 Base.jpg
03 Base.jpg
This seems to be the base here. Everything will connect to this and it will eventually form Voltron... er the big Shark.
04 Tail.jpg
05 Tail.jpg
06 Tail.jpg
Now we add the main body / tail of the shark. I love how the stickers look on this set.
07 Fins.jpg
08 Fins.jpg
Finally we add some fins to the shark
09 Mouth.jpg
10 Mouth.jpg
11 Mouth.jpg
12 Mouth.jpg
13 Mouth.jpg
14 Mouth.jpg
The Mouth / head is awesome. It has a very big range of motion, and the jaws open to be able to bite you. The red eyes, give it that evil glow, especially against the flat glossy black.
15 Fins.jpg
16 Fins.jpg
Now we add the side fins to the shark. These look great and have a lot of different parts that bend/move on them to give the shark the ability to actually move.
Complete.jpg
Finally we have a picture of the completed Shark with his minifig buddy! I also lost pictures of building the tail, but it is a quick process as well..They also kept into keeping as much range of motion in the tail as well.
Closeup.jpg
Close02.jpg
Close03.jpg
I tried to get some good examples to give you an idea of how many different parts of this thing actually move and bend. You could easily make a short movie of pictures with as much as it moves.

Summary

Building: 5 / 5
Appearance: 5 / 5
Pieces: 4 / 5
Value: 5 / 5
Playability: 4 / 5
Overall: 4.6 / 5

Building:
I absolutely loved building this set. It was completely fun all the way through. It had many neat tricks to keep the mobility of the different parts where they needed to be. I'm very impressed with the design of this set.

Appearance:
I think this set is absolutely stunning. I am a shark lover, so perhaps I'm partial, but the color scheme, the detailed mouth/head, and the attention to detail on all the parts that should move (that do), make me have to give it a 5.

Pieces:
This set has some decent pieces, a few uncommon ones, and many that you could easily use in other creations. Unfortunately I don't think you're going to buy this set for it's parts alone, but depending on what your building it is a possibility.

Value:
I think this set has a GREAT value. It already has a build in great PPP which I love. The fact that it is a 'creature' and they still toss in a minifig and special ring is bonus. The great look and feel combined with it being a great addition to your Atlantis set and having a unique looking creature skyrockets this sets value.

Playability:
This was a very touch category for me. It doesn't come with much.. a shark and a minifig. But the shark has so many moving pieces that I think you would have a blast just playing with it. If you couple this with any other set, the play value is tremendous so I couldn't mark off too much for it's solo play value.

Overall:
This is one of my favorite sets in the Atlantis theme. I highly recommend this set to everyone. Even if you don't like the Atlantis theme, it's a great 'creature' to have to spice things in your under-sea collection up. I think it's a great set, and the value of it is wonderful too. Trust me, you won't regret how awesome this one is. If your not an Atlantis fan, this could hook you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.