[REVIEW] Collectible Minifigures Series 2

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this series.

Excellent
33%
Average
67%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 6

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] Collectible Minifigures Series 2

Post by hatcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 am

Indexed

Year of Release: 2010
MRSP: $1.99 (USD) $2.99 (CAN)

The collectible mini fig craze continues with series 2, a more widely available wave than series 1, of which I was only able to acquire about half. Series 2 had some really nice figures in it, and was in my opinion, a very nice set.

I don't have any of the original packaging left, but I do have the insert that comes with them. It shows each of the figures, with accessories. On the back is some kind of mix and match game or something. I'm not quite sure what its purpose it, but my daughter enjoys it.

On to the figures:

Up first, is el Mariachi, or Mr Maracas. I really like this guy, his hat is nice, and the cape is unique. He comes with 3 maracas (I guess in case one gets lost).

Next we have the most sought after of all series 2, the Spartan. He comes with cape, shield, spear and helmet. He looks fantastic, but not without flaws. The leg painting is not very good, and you can clearly see breaks in the painting along the corners of his legs. Its not a huge flaw, but it is noticeable.

Next is the ringmaster. He comes with a white whip. He looks like hes about to take on a lion or something with that facial expression. Not much to say about this guy, to me, he's just filler.

Number 4 is the which. She has a broom, a sloped dress piece instead of legs, and really nice green face. The details on her body are good too. I kind of wish she had come with a black cat, but otherwise, I like her.

The Vampire. He comes with a bat and a rather complicated to install cape. Once you get the cape figured out, he's a very nice looking vampire. If I had any complaints, it would just be that he could look scarier. Maybe that's just me though.

Next up is the traffic cop. He comes with a pair of handcuffs and ticket. I assume from the helmet that he is a motorcycle cop. He's ok, and combined with the Indian Chief from series 3, you're half way to forming the Village People.

The next person on the list is the Adventurer. He comes with a magnifying glass and binoculars (he also came with a spare binoculars not pictured). He reminds me of the guy from old Adventurers line, only not as cool.

The lifeguard, aka "Pamela Anderson". She comes with a flotation device. The hairpiece is the best part about this minifigure, as it goes down into a pony tail that is quite long.

"I hate Mimes! They are the reason I left France!" (That's a quote from the old show 'Newhart", it was hilarious, but I digress). Ah, the much maligned Mime. He comes with 3 different heads, used to reflect his different moods. The beret is quite nice though, so show the Mime some love and take him home! :)

The weightlifter. Another filler figure IMHO. He comes with a barbell, which is actually well designed. His outfit however....

The popstar. She comes with 2 microphones (I assume one is a spare.) I like the detailing on her outfit, and the hair piece is nice. She unfortunately reminds me of this person I went to teachers college with who would get drunk as a skunk and then do karaoke, which she stank at.

The skier. Comes with skis and ski poles (plus one extra pole) which are very nice. Red hands (gloves) are also a nice feature. Otherwise, not much to say.

Mr Disco aka Disco Stu. One of my favorites. He is so much a stereotype of the 70's. He comes with a disco record (it says "Brick Fever" on it) and has a really awesome Afro hair cut. The purple arms totally make the whole figure.

The karate master is next. He comes with two trophies (one is a spare I assume) and a nice karate outfit and a hair style that also reminds me of the 70's. A very nice figure.

The surfer. A very nice representation of a Beach Boy. The surf board is sized well, and the surfer has windswept hair and a very impressive 6 pack of abs. My only complaint would be the legs. They are painted on the front and the sides, but not the back. That is just so wrong. Otherwise, a nice figure.

Last, but certainly not least, the Pharaoh. He comes with a golden staff that is very accurate looking, and an Egyptian crown/head piece. The outfit is very detailed as well. This, along with the Spartan are must haves for me.

The whole gang posing together. While some of them didn't really excite me, none of them were so bad that I would be embarrassed to display them.

Final thoughts. As you all know, the collectibles were made in China, so they don't have the same color and look as "regular" minifigs, and some of the paint jobs look a bit off, but unless you are playing hard with these, I don't think you'll notice a big difference. This series was the last to feature the individual bar codes, which made completing your collection a lot easier, and they were the last to be priced at $1.99 in the States. I give this series a 9/10.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [REVIEW] Collectible Minifigures Series 2

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 am

I've given up buying any but my faves, since I really don't like the color difference. I have way too many Karate Masters....

And the Pop Star looks a bit older than a modern pop star.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:39 pm

Still going to post my own.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:39 pm

hatcher wrote: Final thoughts. As you all know, the collectibles were made in China, so they don't have the same color and look as "regular" minifigs, and some of the paint jobs look a bit off, but unless you are playing hard with these, I don't think you'll notice a big difference. This series was the last to feature the individual bar codes, which made completing your collection a lot easier, and they were the last to be priced at $1.99 in the States. I give this series a 9/10.
Thank you for you review. How could you tell the figures have different color scheme and do not look as "regular" minifigs? I am interested in looking for a better answer than "because they were made in China".

I think it is unfair to label "toys made in China" are bad. The quality/outcome of a toy depends on which factory/producer in China was chosen. If you pay a close attention to the toy market, some toys made in China come with outstanding quality with good painting. ;)

The more lego pays/invests for the producer in China, the better quality it will receive. Please dont' forget why Lego let China making the CMF?
Last edited by legohunter on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:53 pm

legohunter wrote:
hatcher wrote: Final thoughts. As you all know, the collectibles were made in China, so they don't have the same color and look as "regular" minifigs, and some of the paint jobs look a bit off, but unless you are playing hard with these, I don't think you'll notice a big difference. This series was the last to feature the individual bar codes, which made completing your collection a lot easier, and they were the last to be priced at $1.99 in the States. I give this series a 9/10.
Thank you for you review. How could you tell the figures have different color scheme and do not look as "regular" minifigs? I am interested in looking for a better answer than "because they were made in China".

I think it is unfair to summarized "toys made in China" are bad. The quality/outcome of a toy depends on which factory/producer in China was chosen. If you pay a close attention to the toy market, some toys made in China come with outstanding quality with good painting. ;)
The colors vary. Purple is substancially different, while yellow is slightly so. They are more reflective and feel a bit "sticky".
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:11 pm

BobaFett2 wrote:The colors vary. Purple is substancially different, while yellow is slightly so. They are more reflective and feel a bit "sticky".
I don't feel my CMF2 "sticky" at all, and they are not more reflective either.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:14 pm

legohunter wrote:
BobaFett2 wrote:The colors vary. Purple is substancially different, while yellow is slightly so. They are more reflective and feel a bit "sticky".
I don't feel my CMF2 "sticky" at all, and they are not more reflective either.
It's not exactly major, but in good light you can tell. And it's not sticky-sorry, that was a bad word. It's hard to explain...
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks for the review. I got my son a random bunch of them. He traded his life guard for my Mexican. Girls are icky. :)

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:52 pm

legohunter wrote: Thank you for you review. How could you tell the figures have different color scheme and do not look as "regular" minifigs? I am interested in looking for a better answer than "because they were made in China".

I think it is unfair to label "toys made in China" are bad. The quality/outcome of a toy depends on which factory/producer in China was chosen. If you pay a close attention to the toy market, some toys made in China come with outstanding quality with good painting. ;)

The more lego pays/invests for the producer in China, the better quality it will receive. Please dont' forget why Lego let China making the CMF?
The differences in colour are minor and only really visible if you hold one of the CMF up next to a minifigure that came from a standard LEGO set. I personally don't find the diffence that jarring or bothersome, but I know a lot of people (from reading comments on message boards like this one) are bothered by it.

As to the China comment, I was not trying to imply that toys made in China are bad (however, that being said, some Chinese toys are crap, and I think we all know it) nor was I trying to say that because the CMF were made it China that the CMF are bad. What I meant was, the CMF are not made in the same factories that minifgures that come in standard LEGO sets are, and are not necessarily made of the same materials, nor with the same processes. As such, if you really look closely at the CMF and compare them to a minifigure from a set, you can sometimes see a difference ( such as colour, or transparency just to name a few of the common complaints that I have heard). As I mentioned above, this bothers some LEGO fans. I only mentioned it in my reveiw as I thought it was important to some LEGO fans. Others could care less.

I think the CMF series are a fantastic idea. I just found the last guy I need to complete my series 3 set, and can't wait for series 4, 5, and beyond.

Hope that clarifies things.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:55 pm

hatcher wrote:
legohunter wrote: Thank you for you review. How could you tell the figures have different color scheme and do not look as "regular" minifigs? I am interested in looking for a better answer than "because they were made in China".

The differences in colour are minor and only really visible if you hold one of the CMF up next to a minifigure that came from a standard LEGO set. I personally don't find the diffence that jarring or bothersome, but I know a lot of people (from reading comments on message boards like this one) are bothered by it.

As to the China comment, I was not trying to imply that toys made in China are bad (however, that being said, some Chinese toys are crap, and I think we all know it) nor was I trying to say that because the CMF were made it China that the CMF are bad. What I meant was, the CMF are not made in the same factories that minifgures that come in standard LEGO sets are, and are not necessarily made of the same materials, nor with the same processes. As such, if you really look closely at the CMF and compare them to a minifigure from a set, you can sometimes see a difference ( such as colour, or transparency just to name a few of the common complaints that I have heard). As I mentioned above, this bothers some LEGO fans. I only mentioned it in my reveiw as I thought it was important to some LEGO fans. Others could care less.

I think the CMF series are a fantastic idea. I just found the last guy I need to complete my series 3 set, and can't wait for series 4, 5, and beyond.

Hope that clarifies things.
It's noticeable when you "mix-n-match" with normal figs.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream