[Review] 7848 Toys "R" Us Truck

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
50%
Average
50%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 4

Luciant
Count
Count

[Review] 7848 Toys "R" Us Truck

Post by Luciant » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Indexed

7848 Toys "R" Us Truck
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Set Details:
(City - Traffic) Released 2010
356 Pieces with 3 Minifigs
Retail Price: As of 1/22/2011 $49.99 USD (Started at $54.99)
** This set can ONLY be purchased at Toys "R" Us Stores/Website **
Price Per Piece: $0.14
Brickset Description: (None) Guess I'll have to write my own =)

Toys R Us has finally got their new shipment in to the TRU Store thanks to the Toys "R" Us Truck! This set includes not only the truck, but a Toys "R" Us store as well! Store comes with all kinds of exciting fun items (not gonna give away the fun in my review). Truck measures almost 15"" (39cm ) long.

Background:
So the only place I could find this item was at Toys R Us which at first made me think it was discontinued. :idea: Then I realized Lego wouldn't want to advertise for another Toy seller, so it made sense, but I eventually bought it when there was a 30% off City sale. The set was priced $54.99 USD at the time :o , so I was already not happy with having to pay so much more for this "unique" set when I thought it was basically 3221 LEGO City Truck ($34.99 USD) with a small building... :evil: So keep in mind, I went into this set with a chip on my shoulder.. the results will surprise you.

Minifigs!
(Sorry so blurry)
1 Truck Driver
1 TRU Saleswoman
1 Lego Kid Club Fan

3 Minifigs for a $50 set is kinda on the cheap side. They are unique characters though, although the truck driver is not the stereotype "truck driver" type".

Parts
-MmMm a yellow Teddy-Graham... :lol:
-Not 1, but 2 TVs/Monitors!
-A keyboard
-A 'dolly'

There is also a unique wheel axle I haven't seen (I've been out a while though). I just thought it was crazy to have so many weapons in a Toys R Us set! Tsk Tsk :shock:

Stickers

They kept stickers to an absolute minimum in this set! Woot! No complaints at all since the stickers are unique (most) so no reason for them to make a pre-printed brick. There are some TRU Logos, License plates, and Lego set stickers.

Instructions

Set is broken up into 2 booklets, nice touch. This lets 2 people work on the set at the same time! One can work on the truck, while the other can work on the store. The set is broken into multiple poly-bags for each different section, making construction nonstop and fun.

:arrow: On to the Construction! :arrow:
Cab

The set starts off by building the Cab of the truck, then the trailer, then finally the Store.

The base of the cab is very straightforward, and easy to build, shouldn't be too bad.

Small easy sticker to place on the front side of the Cab.

And another small easy sticker to place on the back side of the cab.

I'm not sure if I agree with what this message is saying... ;)

Almost done... just gotta put these two together, but first... you gotta see this awesomeness

ImageImage

Nice little cabin in the back! A bed, and a flat screen TV!

This is what the cab and base look like.

And finally the cab is complete! Nothing major or crazy about this, although at some points I was question why certain parts were there until it all came together. I believe you can also use the cab of this to tow the Lego Truck Trailer I mentioned earlier.

Trailer:

The trailer is built VERY quickly, so I didn't have too many pictures from building it. The trailer has a neat kick-stand exactly like you would see on a real trailer (I love authenticity).

The wheels connect to the semi-unique wheel axle, a neat little piece.

The trailer is a series of bigger pieces with a few complicated ones for the wheels basically. There are 2 big TRU Logo's to put on the trailer, easy. The side doors open!

The back of the trailer opens as well! Has 2 small TRU logos that are easy to place as well. The problem I see: Nothing in the truck! I guess he just got finished unloading?

Truck complete. Nothing too crazy special. It is pretty cool looking though.

Toys "R" Us Store

And so the TRU Store begins...The store isn't very big, so you build it very quickly. The store contains the most fun which brings the value of the set, and makes me glad I bought it even though it's a semi-clone.

How sweet is that? A racecar and a hovercraft. I love it when they make little toys like that. Also notice the awesome computer/cash register setup.

How awesome is that? Cool register, even better items behind the register... Legos! Very cool.

Summary

The building of the set is very organized. This set has multiple poly-bags numbered for each section, clearly indicated in the instructions. There are also two booklets of instructions for different parts of the set making this set a good family build set as multiple people can work together at the same time. While I gave it points for ease of build, it lost points because there was nothing particularly challenging or unique about it's build. I gave it good scores for appearance because it is a good looking set. The blue contrasts the white and makes it pop nicely. The set has some fun pieces like cabin's sleep area, the store of awesome toys, and the clean logos. There are a few special pieces in the set, but the way they use them to make the little toys in the store was great. They also kept it to the minimum amount of stickers which I love. At $0.14 PPP, the set is a bit pricey, but considering it is an "exclusive" set, and the fact that the Toy Store is REALLY cool, that takes some of the sting off. Especially if you can use some of your TRU Dollars and/or a discount. (viewforum.php?f=6). I think you can play with the set fine by itself, although if you were restocking the store, it seems like an awfully big truck for such a small inventory. :lol: It can also be swapped with the other Lego Truck set, making it invaluable in your City collection. Overall this is definitely a unique set, and I had some fun building it. It would have been more fun with a buddy to enjoy it with, and I definitely recommend it as a compliment to your collection, rather than a stand-alone.

Building: 3.5 / 5
Appearance: 5 / 5
Pieces: 3 / 5
Value: 3.5 / 5
Playability: 5 / 5
Overall: 4 / 5

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.