[Contest] LEGO Spring 2013: Classic Movie Vignette

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

[Contest] LEGO Spring 2013: Classic Movie Vignette

Post by Toys N Bricks » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Our LEGO Spring 2013 Contest (February-March) is now here! This Spring, the challenge is to build a classic movie scene on a 16x16 vignette. The entry must use no more than 500 pieces and it must contain at least one collectable series minifigure. If you have a question regarding this contest, please post it here.

Design a creation that will amaze the movie audience! Up for grabs for the grand prize winner will be the latest LEGO modular building exclusive - 10232 Palace Cinema. The second place winner will receive a brand-new copy of two new LEGO Superheroes sets: 76000 Arctic Batman vs Mr. Freeze and 76004 Spider-Cycle Chase.

You will have lots of time for this contest as it will run for 2 months. Use your time wisely to design one of the best looking classic movie scenes vignette!

Contest Rules
  • Creation must be a classic movie scene (nothing from the past 2 decades; aka 20+ years)
  • You can use up to a maximum of 500 pieces (you don't need to, but its just for those that want to put in some extra detail)
  • Vignette dimensions: 16x16
  • Must contain at least one collectable series minifigure (can be from any series)
  • Entries must be completely new (it cannot be from a past contest, event, etc)
  • Entries must be built with LEGO pieces (no LDD, custom brands, stickers, other objects used)
  • If you have won the last LEGO Building Contest (2012 Mini Christmas LEGO Contests), you are not allowed to enter
  • All basic contest rules followed
Submit your Entry
  • Please submit your entries in this topic
  • Details on how to submit are also available there
Evaluation
  • Contest evaluation will be based on votes from members
  • If there is a tie, there will either be another voting round for the 2 contestants or the staff will make the final call
Deadline: Contest ends on March 31 at 21:00 PST (April 1 - 0:00 EST).
*All entries that fail to meet the above guidelines by the deadline will be disqualified.

Prizes

Grand Prize
The grand prize winner will receive a brand-new copy of the new LEGO exclusive 10232 Palace Cinema Modular Building set.

First Class Prize
The second place winner will receive a brand-new copy of two new LEGO Superheroes sets: 76000 Arctic Batman vs Mr. Freeze and 76004 Spider-Cycle Chase.

Toys N Bricks reserves the right to modify or change the rules at anytime.
By accepting the prize, you have read and understood the rules and our basic contests & prizes rules.
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Contest] LEGO Spring 2013: Classic Movie Vignette

Post by Ice » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:08 pm

Reserved.

March 3 Update: Please be advised that if you are submitting a 'doctored' photo, an undoctored/unaltered photo would be required.

The-Daryl
Knight
Knight

Post by The-Daryl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:13 pm

This contest sounds like a lot of fun!

Question though - Are custom pieces/additions allowed? (set dressings, wardrobe, etc) or LEGO only products?

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Who are the winners of last building contest and not allowed to enter?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 pm

I'd like to know dimensions. That would make it way easier. Cause when I see the word vignette, I think of a 8x8 plate.

Eek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Eek » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 am

What's your definition of "classic movie"? Are we allowed to change any parts of the CMF?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah, what defines classic? Is it like a really well known movie that would be instantly recognizable, or does it have to be like an old school classic like something from the 20's, 30's, 40's?

This contest should be awesome. Can't wait to see the entries.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:57 am

The-Daryl wrote: Question though - Are custom pieces/additions allowed? (set dressings, wardrobe, etc) or LEGO only products?
No, only LEGO products are allowed.
dr_spock wrote:Who are the winners of last building contest and not allowed to enter?
2012 Mini Christmas LEGO Contest winners: bono1900, melsig, condor, jtwhatley
Legobrandon wrote:I'd like to know dimensions. That would make it way easier. Cause when I see the word vignette, I think of a 8x8 plate.
Eek wrote:What's your definition of "classic movie"? Are we allowed to change any parts of the CMF?
hatcher wrote:Yeah, what defines classic? Is it like a really well known movie that would be instantly recognizable, or does it have to be like an old school classic like something from the 20's, 30's, 40's?
We're working out the final details in regards to these issues. Please stand by for an update!

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:23 pm

Vignette Dimensions: 16x16
Classic Movie: at least 20+ years ago (nothing from the past 2 decades)

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

lemus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by lemus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Should there be any restrictions on the rating/theme for the movie to be used? For example I was thinking what was the last old movie that I recently saw and thought of this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Boy_and_His_Dog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which had a very disturbing content, specially a shocking ending.
Since this site is family oriented, or at least that is what I have perceived, shouldn't there be an explicit rule to avoid entires which could have very "mature" (for lack of another word) themes?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

lemus wrote:Should there be any restrictions on the rating/theme for the movie to be used? For example I was thinking what was the last old movie that I recently saw and thought of this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Boy_and_His_Dog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which had a very disturbing content, specially a shocking ending.
Since this site is family oriented, or at least that is what I have perceived, shouldn't there be an explicit rule to avoid entires which could have very "mature" (for lack of another word) themes?
Hi lemus, sorry for the late reply. Yes, you should avoid "very disturbing" content that goes beyond what LEGO normally produces in their sets (i.e Monster Fighters, Star Wars, Indiana Jones).

Also, second place prize has now been determined. The Second Place Winner will receive a brand-new copy of two new LEGO Superheroes sets: 76000 Arctic Batman vs Mr. Freeze and 76004 Spider-Cycle Chase. Good luck! (:

skeet318
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by skeet318 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:15 pm

I dare someone to do Deliverance!

RainingBoroSI02
Peasant
Peasant

Post by RainingBoroSI02 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Must the CMF have all of its associated accessories, ie S9 Waiter with tray and bottle?

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Sweet 80's movies. :-D

agrahmann
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by agrahmann » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:32 pm

May we swap out parts of the CMF or combine elements from the CMFs? For instance, if a figure is frowning and has no glasses, may be swap the head for one that is smiling and does have glasses? Would that head need to be a CMF head as well?

bono1900
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by bono1900 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Ice wrote:
dr_spock wrote:Who are the winners of last building contest and not allowed to enter?
2012 Mini Christmas LEGO Contest winners: bono1900, melsig, condor, jtwhatley
I kind of hoped that that contest would not count :sad:
Anyway great idea for the contest, good luck to everyone!!! :wave:

MotionOTheOcean
Peasant
Peasant

Post by MotionOTheOcean » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:41 pm

I kinda agree with Bono. I don't think that the Christmas contests should count against them since it was a minor contest and was a raffle anyway.

Also, can the movie be of the year 20 years ago, meaning anytime in 1993 or before, or exactly 20 year like before 2/15/1993?

The-Daryl
Knight
Knight

Post by The-Daryl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Eager for answers on the CMF questions/guidelines as well.

As soon as I read this I had a couple of great (to me) ideas that I actually have the bricks to at least try; but the CMF is a sticking point - if they are supposed to be stock that basically reduces almost any iconic scene you could possibly do (I mean really, look through the entire catalog and try to place 80% of those characters anywhere but in the background of a scene, which would be fine, except the size restrictions got added also). Not to mention some of us don't have an entire catalog to even draw from, hehe.

Also CMF's don't allow usage of flesh tone figures unless, again, some parts can be swapped out.

All that said, contest will be fun regardless of the restrictions. Looking forward to seeing some entries!

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:46 am

Yes, you can mix and match parts from any of the CMF series.
Only the figure needs to be made from CMF parts, (legs, torso, head, hair, headgear, armor) you can give them any accessory.

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Awesome. Time to brew some ideas.
Check out my blog - Buried in Bricks