[Contest] The Next Generation of Space Travel

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
wingtorn
Peasant
Peasant

Re: [CONTEST] The Next Generation of Space Tra

Post by wingtorn » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:27 pm

Main view of Galileo 3LSC-84 by wingtorn, on Flickr

The Galileo 3LSC-84 is a tri-leveled spacecraft with accommodations for a crew of 7 to 25 people depending on room setups.

The main purpose of the Galileo 3LSC-84 is to sample asteroids that circle the planet in hopes that they will find a new strain of bacteria that would be beneficial to mankind.

Top view of Galileo 3LSC-84 by wingtorn, on Flickr

It is equipped with large solar panels on the sides of the ship to absorb the much needed energy to power all the instruments aboard. including the living quarters, recreation hall, and multiple labs and containment cells inside.

Some may wonder the excessive need for a recreation hall, but in these deep reaches of space, and going from rock to rock, research takes lots of patience and time, and sometimes stress.

The Galileo 3LSC-84 is also equipped with a bay that contains 2 ROVER type vehicles for traversing the landscape if need be.

rear view of Galileo 3LSC-84 by wingtorn, on Flickr

The end of the ship contains a retractable power grabber that can pick up a larger sample if need be.

While the smaller wings may not serve for navigating back onto landing on terra firma, the bottom has specially designed pods that expand to help reentry, thus protecting the ship, and a water landing is more recommended.

this build is made up of 152 pieces.

(its my first MoC!! :lol: unless you count the crazy school buses i built when i was a kid. new to MoCs. New to flickr.)

this was my first build in a LONG time. i kept veering off and putting parts on it meant for more sci-fi ships, but had to remove them and make it more realistic. in all, i actually learned a great deal putting bricks together in different ways that i didnt even consider before. ;)