[Contest] Micro Build Tournament 2011

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
watersong133
I'm New !

Re: [CONTEST] Micro Build Tournament 2011

Post by watersong133 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Here is my entry based on the 10155 Maersk Container Ship. I didn't have any of the special blue color pieces so I used regular blue. The ship is made of 140 pieces. It was great fun to make - I hadn't tried making micro scale MOCs before, it was an excellent excuse to try it out! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

watersong133
I'm New !

Post by watersong133 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Almost forgot - here are some links to more photos on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61341171@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61341171@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beans
Peasant
Peasant

Post by beans » Fri May 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Just a question about windows: Do window frames + the piece inside them count as 2 pieces or 1 piece? I'm cutting it close to the 200 mark with my submission and need every piece I can get :D

unbornchikken
Citizen
Citizen

Post by unbornchikken » Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 pm

beans wrote:Just a question about windows: Do window frames + the piece inside them count as 2 pieces or 1 piece? I'm cutting it close to the 200 mark with my submission and need every piece I can get :D
I presumed that the combo counts as 2 pieces for my entry, but I'll let a mod/admin make the official call. If it turns out the other way, I'll just have to ask everyone to imagine them there for my entry when voting. :P

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat May 14, 2011 2:02 pm

beans wrote:Just a question about windows: Do window frames + the piece inside them count as 2 pieces or 1 piece? I'm cutting it close to the 200 mark with my submission and need every piece I can get :D
Yes, that counts as two pieces. Good luck!

soliton
I'm New !

Post by soliton » Sat May 14, 2011 2:58 pm

My entry is the Tantive IV, 10198. It is 200 pieces on the dot, including the 1 piece stand.

I'm posting a picture of the skeleton too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27824758@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

akunthita
Citizen
Citizen

Post by akunthita » Sat May 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Okay, here is my entry to the great 2011 Toys N Bricks Micro Build Tournament! ;)

Original Set: LEGO Taj Mahal

Original set piece count: 5,922 (the largest LEGO set ever!)
Micro-version piece count: 200

I have been really excited about this tournament because of the great challenge of building a large set in micro version – it is my favorite building scale! - and of course the prizes are nothing to complain about either! :P

I choose the Taj Mahal because of its incredible beauty (both the real and the LEGO version) and because I knew that it is going to be a challenge to build such a huge set in a micro scale - and I like a good challenge!

The real-world Taj Mahal has an amazingly delicate design born out of the great love and devotion of the long-ago-lived Mughal emperor for his wife who died at childbirth. In addition the LEGO version has some added intricacies. I knew I was heavily restricted by the part-count, but I wanted to incorporate at least the following unique features of the original LEGO Taj into the micro version:

• The tan, blue and gray color accents
• The crystal-like windows
• The 3-part modular design

I also focused on:

• Keeping the micro version aesthetically pleasing - being true to the original
• Keeping the whole thing solid and functional as a LEGO set should be
• Keeping it all under 200 pieces! LOL!

In summary, although this was not a requirement, I wanted to create something that could pass for an official LEGO mini-set.

My first design came to around 250 pieces, so I had to start scaling down to the bare essentials without loosing too much of the unique features. (See LDD design progression and other versions - including the legendary Black Taj, a light-up Taj and…ahem…Pink Taj…- at theBrickBlogger: http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/05/lego ... taj-mahal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.) :twisted:

Originally I had a more elaborate base with a more detailed connection between the frame and the inner layer – this was one of the places where I pulled parts from to get below the 200 threshold. I still like the first version better. (Please see pictures at: http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/05/lego ... taj-mahal/)

Although I could have eliminated it all together to lower the piece-count, I wanted to keep the double-plate layer at the bottom (representing the blue baseplates of the full-version Taj, with the white layer over it). I choose to use light-bluish-gray for the second layer to differentiate it from the white walls while remaining in the color-scheme of the LEGO Taj – otherwise, using all white on such a small scale, everything would have merged together. (I used tan for the inner-courtyard for the same reason.)

An other idea I had to differentiate the inner and outer courtyards and the walls is to use tiles – this turned out really nice even in white, but again; too many pieces! The tiles with grilles were also a really nice option, and most true to the large version, but yet again; too many pieces – sigh… :(

I also wanted to keep the four little “feet” the building rests on, even though this added eight extra pieces. Without the feet the model would be hard to pick up; with the building just falling through the hole. Again; I wanted to keep this functional as a set.

I was very intrigued by the blue line running around the walls, doors and central dome of the LEGO Taj, and I definitely wanted to keep this feature in the micro version.

I choose to use light-bluish-gray door-frames to represent the gray line around the doors in the full-version LEGO Taj.

I also worked quite a bit to get those windows right! I wanted to have that nice shine-through effect the large version has. I used trans-clear plates and a trans-clear inner column so light can shine all the way through the building.

As you can see on the final design; the base, the building and the dome separates just like in the original LEGO version. I was also able to keep the color scheme pretty accurate.
LEGO Mini Taj Mahal 1.jpg
The frame (with the four corner towers) is 91 pieces, the dome is 19 pieces and the building itself is 90 – if my math is correct that should ad up to 200. (Please see piece-count photos on flickr - I didn't cheat! :lol: ).
LEGO Mini Taj Mahal Modular Design View.jpg
Please see all photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/akunthita/ ... 720436418/

Also available at ToysNBrick flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/toysnbrickscom/

And at theBrickBlogger: http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/05/lego ... taj-mahal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fails!...

I do not own the original Taj Mahal set, nor have I ever seen this set it in real life (I live in a small town with no LEGO store around). I was working from the pictures in my LEGO Catalog.
While examining the pictures I was 100% sure that the spires and most of the other accents were pearl-gold and the line on the building is regular blue! (In fact originally I designed the micro-version with more gold accents around the base and on the towers, and blue around the windows and walls.)

It was only later, when I looked at the Bricklink inventory for the Taj that I discovered that the all the accents were in fact tan and yellow with no gold at all, and the blue is medium-blue! (Just to show you; you can’t rely on pictures!) :(

I was very surprised, but by that time it was too late to change everything. I did change the accents around the base (fortunately I had enough tan pieces), took off some of the gold from the towers and the domes, but I did keep the little unicorn horns. I think they look nice. I also managed to change most of the blue to medium-blue. But I’m refusing to ad yellow to my design! It just doesn’t seem right! :shock:

(PS: I have a friend who is an incredible artist. She has an uncanny ability to copy any piece of classic art and you could never tell the difference! When she was a student she asked her teacher about a detail in an original painting because it didn’t seem right to her. His response was to only copy the good stuff, and she is not obliged to copy the mistakes. So there; no yellow for me!)

The corners of the building are 1x3 plates held in there only by friction. Originally I had round bricks and plates there, but I had to cut them out due to the piece-count restriction. It holds up pretty well, but if you shake the building too much they will fall out. :cry:

So there you have it! The micro Taj Mahal! Thanks for viewing! Wishing the best to everyone in the contest! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tips & tricks with LEGO Bricks! http://thebrickblogger.com/

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat May 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Fatyankee wrote:Well i finished by MOC on Sunday and have finally got my pics uploaded, So here is my MicroScale version of
Star Wars 10195 Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker Image
Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker 3 by Fatyankee, on Flickr

I must say , I had a realy fun time making this and it was a challenge to keep the part count under 200
I had to remove several parts to get the final count to 199 (including the 2 piece stand)

Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker 4 by Fatyankee, on Flickr

I hope you guys like it, Please check out the other pics on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fatyankee/ ... 566924143/
That looks awesome! Good work!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat May 14, 2011 6:52 pm

watersong133 wrote:Here is my entry based on the 10155 Maersk Container Ship. I didn't have any of the special blue color pieces so I used regular blue. The ship is made of 140 pieces. It was great fun to make - I hadn't tried making micro scale MOCs before, it was an excellent excuse to try it out! :)
Nice work on this!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat May 14, 2011 6:52 pm

soliton wrote:My entry is the Tantive IV, 10198. It is 200 pieces on the dot, including the 1 piece stand.

I'm posting a picture of the skeleton too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27824758@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, almost similar to the real set! Good work!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat May 14, 2011 6:53 pm

akunthita wrote:Okay, here is my entry to the great 2011 Toys N Bricks Micro Build Tournament! ;)

Original Set: LEGO Taj Mahal

Original set piece count: 5,922 (the largest LEGO set ever!)
Micro-version piece count: 200

I have been really excited about this tournament because of the great challenge of building a large set in micro version – it is my favorite building scale! - and of course the prizes are nothing to complain about either! :P

I choose the Taj Mahal because of its incredible beauty (both the real and the LEGO version) and because I knew that it is going to be a challenge to build such a huge set in a micro scale - and I like a good challenge!

The real-world Taj Mahal has an amazingly delicate design born out of the great love and devotion of the long-ago-lived Mughal emperor for his wife who died at childbirth. In addition the LEGO version has some added intricacies. I knew I was heavily restricted by the part-count, but I wanted to incorporate at least the following unique features of the original LEGO Taj into the micro version:

• The tan, blue and gray color accents
• The crystal-like windows
• The 3-part modular design

I also focused on:

• Keeping the micro version aesthetically pleasing - being true to the original
• Keeping the whole thing solid and functional as a LEGO set should be
• Keeping it all under 200 pieces! LOL!

In summary, although this was not a requirement, I wanted to create something that could pass for an official LEGO mini-set.

My first design came to around 250 pieces, so I had to start scaling down to the bare essentials without loosing too much of the unique features. (See LDD design progression and other versions - including the legendary Black Taj, a light-up Taj and…ahem…Pink Taj…- at theBrickBlogger: http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/05/lego ... taj-mahal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.) :twisted:

Originally I had a more elaborate base with a more detailed connection between the frame and the inner layer – this was one of the places where I pulled parts from to get below the 200 threshold. I still like the first version better. (Please see pictures at: http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/05/lego ... taj-mahal/)

Although I could have eliminated it all together to lower the piece-count, I wanted to keep the double-plate layer at the bottom (representing the blue baseplates of the full-version Taj, with the white layer over it). I choose to use light-bluish-gray for the second layer to differentiate it from the white walls while remaining in the color-scheme of the LEGO Taj – otherwise, using all white on such a small scale, everything would have merged together. (I used tan for the inner-courtyard for the same reason.)

An other idea I had to differentiate the inner and outer courtyards and the walls is to use tiles – this turned out really nice even in white, but again; too many pieces! The tiles with grilles were also a really nice option, and most true to the large version, but yet again; too many pieces – sigh… :(

I also wanted to keep the four little “feet” the building rests on, even though this added eight extra pieces. Without the feet the model would be hard to pick up; with the building just falling through the hole. Again; I wanted to keep this functional as a set.

I was very intrigued by the blue line running around the walls, doors and central dome of the LEGO Taj, and I definitely wanted to keep this feature in the micro version.

I choose to use light-bluish-gray door-frames to represent the gray line around the doors in the full-version LEGO Taj.

I also worked quite a bit to get those windows right! I wanted to have that nice shine-through effect the large version has. I used trans-clear plates and a trans-clear inner column so light can shine all the way through the building.

As you can see on the final design; the base, the building and the dome separates just like in the original LEGO version. I was also able to keep the color scheme pretty accurate.
LEGO Mini Taj Mahal 1.jpg
The frame (with the four corner towers) is 91 pieces, the dome is 19 pieces and the building itself is 90 – if my math is correct that should ad up to 200. (Please see piece-count photos on flickr - I didn't cheat! :lol: ).
LEGO Mini Taj Mahal Modular Design View.jpg
Please see all photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/akunthita/ ... 720436418/

Also available at ToysNBrick flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/toysnbrickscom/

And at theBrickBlogger: http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/05/lego ... taj-mahal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fails!...

I do not own the original Taj Mahal set, nor have I ever seen this set it in real life (I live in a small town with no LEGO store around). I was working from the pictures in my LEGO Catalog.
While examining the pictures I was 100% sure that the spires and most of the other accents were pearl-gold and the line on the building is regular blue! (In fact originally I designed the micro-version with more gold accents around the base and on the towers, and blue around the windows and walls.)

It was only later, when I looked at the Bricklink inventory for the Taj that I discovered that the all the accents were in fact tan and yellow with no gold at all, and the blue is medium-blue! (Just to show you; you can’t rely on pictures!) :(

I was very surprised, but by that time it was too late to change everything. I did change the accents around the base (fortunately I had enough tan pieces), took off some of the gold from the towers and the domes, but I did keep the little unicorn horns. I think they look nice. I also managed to change most of the blue to medium-blue. But I’m refusing to ad yellow to my design! It just doesn’t seem right! :shock:

(PS: I have a friend who is an incredible artist. She has an uncanny ability to copy any piece of classic art and you could never tell the difference! When she was a student she asked her teacher about a detail in an original painting because it didn’t seem right to her. His response was to only copy the good stuff, and she is not obliged to copy the mistakes. So there; no yellow for me!)

The corners of the building are 1x3 plates held in there only by friction. Originally I had round bricks and plates there, but I had to cut them out due to the piece-count restriction. It holds up pretty well, but if you shake the building too much they will fall out. :cry:

So there you have it! The micro Taj Mahal! Thanks for viewing! Wishing the best to everyone in the contest! ;)
I really like to detail in this mini- model! Great job!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun May 15, 2011 10:56 am

This is my last-minute entry of set #10179 Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon! I used just under 40 pieces. Hope you like it! :)

Top View:

You can view additional photos of the Millenium Falcon here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/legobrando ... 602355855/

Good luck to all the other contestants! :D

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun May 15, 2011 2:12 pm

How come my entry photos don't appear on the Toys N Brick photo stream? I can only see my photo if I sign in.

akunthita
Citizen
Citizen

Post by akunthita » Sun May 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Legobrandon, is it possible that you have set your photos to private? Or only available to be seen by your contacts?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun May 15, 2011 2:20 pm

akunthita wrote:Legobrandon, is it possible that you have set your photos to private? Or only available to be seen by your contacts?
On my photo stream, I set it to public, anyone can see it. Also the same for the Toysnbricks photo stream.

akunthita
Citizen
Citizen

Post by akunthita » Sun May 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Is it possible the Toys N Bricks Group is members only? Can you see other peoples' entries when you sign out? There must be a reason why you can't see your own.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun May 15, 2011 2:33 pm

akunthita wrote:Is it possible the Toys N Bricks Group is members only? Can you see other peoples' entries when you sign out? There must be a reason why you can't see your own.
I can see all the other photos on the steam when I sign out. Mine just disappears. And I also joined the group, in order to add photos.

akunthita
Citizen
Citizen

Post by akunthita » Sun May 15, 2011 2:38 pm

That's weird! Sorry that I can't help you. I hope an admin will respond to your dilemma! The good thing is that I do see your photos in the group. It is not like they are not there at all.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun May 15, 2011 2:41 pm

akunthita wrote:That's weird! Sorry that I can't help you. I hope an admin will respond to your dilemma! The good thing is that I do see your photos in the group. It is not like they are not there at all.
Thanks for trying, I really appreciate it! :)

akunthita
Citizen
Citizen

Post by akunthita » Sun May 15, 2011 2:44 pm

You are welcome! ;)