[Entries] The Simpsons LEGO Microbuild Tournament

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [Entries] The Simpsons LEGO Microbuild Tournament

Post by JustBrickin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:34 pm

algro18 wrote:
For my build I chose Lard Lad Donuts. I wanted to use one of the new pieces from the Simpson's minifigures.
Most pictures I found included the parking lot, so to me it felt like part of the building.
289 pieces.

Here are more pictures of it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/49761667@ ... 497362763/

It was really fun building this, unlike trying to upload pictures for the first time.
This is really cool! I wanted to make this but didn't have the big boy.

spacysmoke
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by spacysmoke » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:44 pm

Mini Krusty Burger

I decided to do Krusty Burger because the other buildings I was interested in doing had odd colors that I just didn't have in number.

Not quite as small as I originally planned, but I really wanted to include the orange trim around the windows and doors which ended up bumping up the scale a bit. The set is 300 pieces exactly.

Thank you to Toys N Bricks for this contest. It was a fun challenge to get this down to 300 pieces. My initial build was over 350 pieces, so I had to do quite a bit of rebuilding to get it down. Then I decided to include a car which is 20 pieces, so that meant more changes. Anyway, had a great time with the contest; may try and rebuild it without the piece limit after the contest ends.

More photos on my flickr stream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/swafr/set ... 089473189/

MrVx
I'm New !

Post by MrVx » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Really Tiny Springfield Nuclear Power Plant (105 pcs)
Springfield_PowerPlant_main.jpg
This is my take on the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant in micro scale. 105 parts were used only, as I tried to be as micro as possible!

Featuring a three-eyed skull-shaped toxic cloud as an obvious tribute to Blinky. The round plate with the radioactive symbol comes from Galaxy Squad set #70707 Eradicator Mech.

Reference images of the plant show it is surrounded by roads (see this example:
http://sarasotaday.com/files/Springfiel ... _Plant.PNG),
but sometimes by water canals, as seen here:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-K1YBO6T4jjE/U ... l+View.jpg.

(sorry for the long URLs)
I chose to build a mix of the two configurations.

The font used is called "Simpsonfont". It is a free download and was originally created by Jon Bernhardt and remastered by Dennis Ludlow.

Thanks Toys N Bricks for the opportunity. It's a great exercise of simplification to build microscale models, and this specific theme was lots of fun!

See two more pictures in my Flickr stream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonvx/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aegnor_saralonde
I'm New !

Post by aegnor_saralonde » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:00 pm

Grayfox
I'm New !

Post by Grayfox » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:06 am

aegnor_saralonde wrote:Moe's tavern with 150 pcs
Wow I absolutely love the fact we get to see inside Moe's Tavern! Also gotta love the characters, all of them easily recognizable, especially Barney passed out on the floor, ahah.

Great work!

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Title: Moe's Tavern
300 pieces including base plate

Moe decided that with the long summer days he can save on the electric bill by moving the gang outside. It's a success! Moe serves Homer & Barney Duff's Beer while Carl & Lenny shoot pool.

Thanks for the contest Since I don't own any 1x1 purple tiles I had to use 1x2s which made the entry bigger than I planned.

edited 6/14 to show correct piece count of 300. I mistyped the # previously
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:29 pm

First Church of Springfield by StClair (Flickr account is ponderingzissou or Jason... StClair username was not available). I used 300 parts exactly (sacrificing smooth tiles for the parking lot and other details)

Details such as stained glass windows can be seen at Flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/116332433 ... 635565606/ Note... there are also earlier rough drafts there as well but they are labeled as such.

ImageOfficial Entry Alt View_103_2124 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

ImageOfficial Entry Alt View 103_2171 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
View of how roofs were attached

My greatest difficulty (other than microbuild and piece limit) was the windows on the front, various slants of roofs and creating the rounded brown roof on the back as well as creating stained glass windows for 11 windows without exceeding 300 pieces.

This was a fun challenging contest that pushed me to do a microbuild (that I had been wanting to do) and creating my first limited piece count MOC. Thank you for the opportunity.

I've loved checking out the other great entries each day. Good luck to everyone.

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:55 pm

St Clair - your church is awesome!

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:04 pm

SEK527 wrote:St Clair - your church is awesome!
Thank you! I liked your's as well. I considered trying the Kwik-Mart, School or Moe's Tavern. I decided to not try Moe's Tavern or the School because I have almost no purple parts. The Simpson's certainly used some interesting colors for buildings. I like how you did the diagonal purple's around the top, Barney's belly (hehe.. nice) and the car.

Astericked
I'm New !

Post by Astericked » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Here's my stab at the famous Springfield Church.
Used 225 pieces!

ImageIMG_1152 by Lynchster, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1149 by Lynchster, on Flickr

More Photos on the Flickr account!

moofer
I'm New !

Post by moofer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Micro Springfield Elementary School.

I thought this would be a fun one to do and it certainly fits in the iconic category. After four complete revamps (changing everything from colors to brick orientation, the flag being the only constant), this is what I came up with.

I think it captures the general proportions and style of the school. 285 pieces including the baseplates (all the details are in front. This contest really pushed me beyond the usual building level that I use when playing with the kids. They couldn't understand why I was so serious about getting the exact details.

ImageElementary School07 by nahabetian, on Flickr

ImageElementary School04 by nahabetian, on Flickr

The Animated series had many versions of the school that subtly changed over the years. A reoccurring architectural feature was the ledge between the first and second story windows on the facade. This detail was probably the most difficult to incorporate into the model (I ended up using tan lightsaber rods).

For some reason this detail is not a part of the Springfield Elementary School in "The Simpson's Tapped Out Game", which I used as a primary source for building the model.

If I could change one thing about this model it would be the window ledges. Unfortunately there are not many parts available in the lilac color yet, and I could not find a way to get the 1x2 lilac plate to stick out just a little bit beyond the rest of the wall. Any suggestions to get this to work would be greatly appreciated.

I really enjoy the models built by other forum members and hope mine is a worthy addition to the group.
Last edited by moofer on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:31 pm

I think we are going to need way more than 3 points to vote for our favourite entries. Fantastic work everyone!

Bransford
I'm New !

Post by Bransford » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:13 pm

My entry for the contest (my first) is King Toot's Music Store. The interior has a checkout counter and cash register, several guitars hanging on the wall, and a couple drums (177 pieces). The store is actually a modular build; the top section comes off to reveal the interior below (see the extra photo in the Flickr Group Pool). Thanks for hosting a great contest. - Bransford

wkunert
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wkunert » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:43 pm

My entry, the Duff Brewery is made from 293 pieces.
That's supposed to be Duffman looking down from the clock.

*edit - If permitted, I would like to add a second photo with the sign revised, which looked too narrow before. The piece count is now 298.

Last edited by wkunert on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:02 pm

StClair wrote:
SEK527 wrote:St Clair - your church is awesome!
The Simpson's certainly used some interesting colors for buildings.
Thanks for your kind comments on Moe's. The colors were an issue for me too. I only had one building option.

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:09 pm

moofer wrote:.
Micro Springfield Elementary School.

I think it captures the general proportions and style of the school. 285 pieces including the baseplates (all the details are in front.
I agree. Great job! Clever way to make the purple pillars!

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:21 pm

wkunert wrote:My entry, the Duff Brewery is made from 293 pieces.
That's supposed to be Duffman looking down from the clock.
Nice job with the colors of bottle necks/smokestacks

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:24 pm

spacysmoke wrote:Mini Krusty Burger
I like those green "bush" parts that you used so much that after seeing your build I bought all that the bricklink vendor (only 2) had when I placed my last bricklink order.
Krusty is one of my favorite Simpson's characters
Good job with your build :-D

I love your EB Monster Bash Contest Entry on your Flickr! Very cool. Back before I had a Flickr account I stumbled upon your Family Summer Road Trip build on a blog or somewhere. I liked it so much that I shared it with students. Very nice little build. Funny how we stumble upon people in various places in such a big world.
Last edited by StClair on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agrahmann
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by agrahmann » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Dang it. I felt a lot better about my chances during the three weeks I was the only entry. :)

We have a full crowd of awesome builders here at TnB. Love seeing the creativity.

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:53 pm

[quote="agrahmann"]Dang it. I felt a lot better about my chances during the three weeks I was the only entry. :)

We have a full crowd of awesome builders here at TnB. Love seeing the creativity.[/

I love the creative way you use pieces - both here & in your classic movie vignette.