LEGO Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush Review (6873)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
88%
Average
13%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 8

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

LEGO Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush Review (6873)

Post by Ice » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:34 am

Indexed

Name: 6873 Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush
Pieces: 295
Theme: Superheroes
MSRP: $29.99 US | $39.99 CA | £34.99 GB

After watching The Amazing Spider-Man last week, I was tempted to get this set. The Wal-Marts already me don't have it instock, but fortunately, the LEGO Store did! With 295 pieces, $29.99 USD / $39.99 CAD seemed like a pretty good value set.

*Once again, apologies for the poor quality pictures. I don't have a camera. :(

LEGO's Description
Rescue Iron Fist from Doctor Octopus' laboratory!

Scheming Doctor Octopus has captured Iron Fist and is conducting experiments on him, trying to steal his superpowers. Help Spider-Man sneak in through the air vent and swoop down on Doc Ock to release Iron Fist! Then stop the wicked doctor from fleeing on his missile-firing car! Includes 3 minifigures: Spider-Man, Iron Fist and Doctor Octopus.
•Includes 3 minifigures: Spider-Man, Iron Fist and Doctor Octopus
•Features Doc Ock's lab and car
•Lab features containment cell, examination table and air vent shaft
•Car features rotating seat, spinning octopus arm attachment and flick missiles!
•Doctor Octopus features detachable, poseable octopus arms
•Attach octopus arms to car for a spin attack!
•Fire the missiles!
•Sneak in through the air vent!
•Swoop down with the spider web!
•Lab measures over 7" (17cm) high and 10" (26cm) wide
•Car measures over 3" (7cm) long
Front of the box. Looks like a huge set but its not to actual scale (they enlarged it quite a bit). Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape however is more to scale with the box.

Back of the box showing the features of the set.

You get one medium size instruction booklet (about 70 pages) and a nice comic book. The comic book has 4 pages for this set. The rest of the comic is on Captain America's Avenging Cycle, LEGO Club and a look at all of the LEGO Marvel Minifigures.

Back of the instruction booklet and comic book.

Dumping out the contents, you get 3 numbered bags and a sticker sheet.

The huge draw for this set would be the minifigures. In this set, you get Spider-Man, Iron Fist and Doctor Octopus. This set is base on the second Spider-Man Movie (Doc Ock) and not really on the Amazing Spider-Man (Doc Connor Lizard). I'm not sure if its me, but Spider-Man's eyes looks a bit too big. However, its still very nice to get Spider-Man and Doc Ock!

Back of the minifigures.

Closer look at Doc Ock's back and how his octopus arms connects to him.

Doc Ock's detached Octopus arms can be put on his buggy's car as well.The buggy car has 2 green flick-fire missiles.

Front of the set (fully extended).

Back of the set (fully extended).

You can also make the lab more compressed by moving the left and right parts of the set.

The right side of the set containing the turbine. The turbine can be moved so Spider-Man can enter into Doc Ock's lair (as shown as one of the features on the back of the box).

Doc Ock has captured Iron Fist and has locked him up in the prisoner cell! (Left side of the set)

Doc Ock is about to zap Iron Fist on his examination table! (Center part of the set)

The complete set!

Comparing this set with its limited edition "counterpart" (6857 Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape), 6873 Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush is indeed smaller. Its good to know that LEGO was consistent with the pricing and only made this set $29.99 US/$39.99 CA rather than $39.99 US/$49.99 CA (even though the box is the same size). Thumbs up for that!

Final Verdicts

Great set and good price! Totally worth it even paying MSRP. As this is a limited edition set, you can only get it either direct from LEGO or Wal-Mart. I really like the Spider-Man and Doc Ock minifigures. Hopefully, more Spider-Man sets will be released soon!

Apfly
I'm New !

Re: LEGO Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush Review (6873)

Post by Apfly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:00 pm

This set is based off of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon tv show. That's why all the figs look so weird.

Great little review! I'm gonna need to pick this one up!
Brickend.blogspot.com

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm actually really impressed by how much there is to Doc Ock's arms - they don't look that long in any of the pictures I've previously seen.

That said, as a huge Spidey fan, this was always a must-have for me anyway!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

brickster90
Knight
Knight

Post by brickster90 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm also a huge fan of Spider-Man, so I grabbed this the first time I saw it at Wal*Mart. I also think it's a great set; not a bad value for 3 great exclusive figures. The lab isn't bad, either, though it's totally right the figures are the main draw. I'm so happy to have a Lego Doc Ock after all these years!

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Apfly wrote:This set is based off of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon tv show. That's why all the figs look so weird.
No wonder! Spider-Man eyes were totally off compared to the movies. :lol:
vynsane wrote:I'm actually really impressed by how much there is to Doc Ock's arms - they don't look that long in any of the pictures I've previously seen.

That said, as a huge Spidey fan, this was always a must-have for me anyway!
Yes, Doc Ock is a great minifigure. His arms are very flexible because there are 4 interlocking parts for each arm. He also doesn't fall down easily even with that much weight on him. :up:

Big fan of Spider-Man here also so I can't wait till they make more sets! However, I think LEGO is restricted to making certain Spider-Man sets as Mega Bloks has the license too (they made all the Amazing Spider-Man sets). :(

brickster90
Knight
Knight

Post by brickster90 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Yes, right now Lego only has the rights to the TV show (which actually allows them more flexibility because they can expand on all Marvel characters in the Spidey show, like Doc Doom), but Mega Bloks seems to have the rights to make toys for Spidey 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man. And still, even if people don't like that it's based on a cartoon like Star Wars: The Clone Wars, it's a lot better than no Spider-Man Legos at all!

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Not entirely true. They have a license for the comics (the Wolverine chopper set) so they don't have to make anything based off the TV show when they could just make up anything and have it fall under the comic license. They just chose to do the TV show since kids would pick up on it. But thats fine because for the most part, Doc Ock aside, mose of the costumes are the same as they would be in a comic line.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Buttmunch wrote:Not entirely true. They have a license for the comics (the Wolverine chopper set) so they don't have to make anything based off the TV show when they could just make up anything and have it fall under the comic license.
Right, LEGO has merchandising rights to all incarnations of Spider-man other than the movies, since SONY holds half of the power of merchandising rights to the movies (through "Spider-man Merchandising, L.P.", a joint venture with Marvel).

I'm not sure about other properties that are held by other movie companies, though the fact that the 'Wolverine Chopper Showdown' set is somewhat based on the Wolverine movie shows that perhaps Fox doesn't have the same clout. The only other movie properties that aren't held exclusively by Marvel are Daredevil (Fox), Fantastic Four (also Fox) and Blade (New Line - which, oddly enough, has been a subsidiary of Warner Bros. since 2008, making the Disney/WB power struggle all the more confusing) - none of which have LEGO offerings forthcoming.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:56 pm

FYI, Fox no longers holds the rights to Daredevil. They had an apparent deadline of October of this year to begin production on a new film in order to retain the rights, but rather than rush something out, have instead decided to focus on a Fantastic Four reboot. And the rights to Blade have also returned back to Marvel.