[REVIEW] 7931 T-6 Jedi Shuttle

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
17%
Average
83%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 6

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

[REVIEW] 7931 T-6 Jedi Shuttle

Post by Ice » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Indexed

Blasting out of the Clone Wars cartoon series is the LEGO Star Wars T-6 Jedi Shuttle! As seen in The Clone Wars, the T-6 Jedi Shuttle was mainly used by the Jedi Order to travel across the galaxy. Is this the set worth the high price and is it for you? Read on to find out!

Basic LEGO Set Details

Theme: Star Wars
Set Name: 7931 T-6 Jedi Shuttle
Piece: 389
MSRP: $59.99 USA | $79.99 Canada | £49.99 UK
Price Per Piece: $0.154 USA | $0.206 Canada | £0.129 UK

Buy Now: USA | Canada | UK

LEGO's Description
Battle the bounty hunters in deep space!

Racing to a distant Clone Wars battlefield in their T-6 Jedi shuttle, the Jedi have been ambushed by bounty hunters! With flick missiles, a rotating wing for flying mode, and a detachable cockpit that turns into an escape pod, the Jedi shuttle may be more than a match for the Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship. Includes Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, all new Jedi Masters Shaak Ti and Saesee Tiin minifigures.

•Includes 4 minifigures: Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Shaak Ti and Saesee Tiin
•Push engines to shoot flick-fire missiles!
•Rotate wing for flying mode!
•Features retractable landing gear!
•Battle the bounty hunters and their #7930 Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship!
•T-6 Jedi shuttle measures 14” (35cm) wide, 10” (25cm) long and 5” (12cm) tall
The Box

The box size is the same as 8087 Tie Defender.

Like all other boxes, it shows you the functions at the back.

The Minifigures

I think the minifigures are the key that got this set to sell despite the high price. In this set, you get 4 minifigures including Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Shaak Ti and Saesee Tiin.

Shaak Ti and Saesee Tiin are new and only available in this set. Their heads are made of plastic and not rubber. Very detailed!

The back of the minifigures.

The Set

Unfortunately, there are stickers in this set. Even the republic symbol is a sticker. :(

Here is the landing mode. The complete shuttle looks quite big. But don't be fooled that its a good value set though as you will soon find out why.

The engines at the back of the shuttle. When you push the left and right engines, it shoots flick-fire missiles.

To make it into flighting mode, all you do is just turn the cockpit or engine. It can rotate 360 degrees.

What bugs me is that one side has all the detail and stickers on it while the other side is too plain. LEGO tried to make the set look big while at the same time trying to minimize pieces. Therefore, not much have been added to the very thin wings.

To detach the cockpit, you just remove it the old fashion way.

Here's what the "shuttle" looks like inside.

As you can see, it is very cramped and can barley fit 2 minifigures. LEGO didn't really make a T-6 Jedi Shuttle, they made a T-6 Jedi Fighter. :(

Summary

I'm quite disappointed in this set after building it. There are some nice features like the 360 degree rotation of the wings. The minifigures are also nice touch and the set itself looks quite nice on display. But I'm a big fan of having detailed interior sets. In this set, there's almost no space at all in the cockpit when its suppose to be a "shuttle". Also, one side of the wings have no detail at all while the other side has stickers. :?

I would never pay $80 Canadian for this set as it seems like you get too little for your money. LEGO could have done a way better job for an $80 set. If you really want a shuttle, get 8019 Republic Attack Shuttle as thats the best one so far. Its the same price as this set but you get a lot more pieces, play value, and features.

I was fortunate to get this for $46 earlier this year. Do not buy this set at retail price. I would only recommend this set if you can get it on sale and you actually want the minifigures.

Ratings

Build: 4.25/5
Minifigures: 4.25/5
Pieces: 2.75/5
Price: 3/5
Play Features: 3.25/5
Overall: 3.5/5

koromo
Knight
Knight

Re: [REVIEW] 7931 T-6 Jedi Shuttle

Post by koromo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:29 pm

This is indeed an expensive set. I picked up mine in a promo as well this spring. Now you can find it in some targets for 50% off now.

Shaak Ti is really neat, and its true the accompanying jedi are part of the draw for the set (I didn't have an Obi wan either). Though like many versions of the Falcon not everybody can ride in the cockpit. Nor is there a sword rack either.

The core rotational piece was an interesting find ,I havent seen one since a Universal technic set from way back.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:38 am

I like the set alot, mainly because of the minifigs. Personally, I prefer ground ships for playing.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:33 pm

koromo wrote:The core rotational piece was an interesting find ,I havent seen one since a Universal technic set from way back.
Was it this piece?

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Ice wrote:The Minifigures

I think the minifigures are the key that got this set to sell despite the high price. In this set, you get 4 minifigures including Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Shaak Ti and Saesee Tiin.

Shaak Ti and Saesee Tiin are new and only available in this set. Their heads are made of plastic and not rubber. Very detailed!
The minifigs were my main draw to this set. I'm glad to hear that Shaak Ti and Saesee Tiin have plastic heads as opposed to rubber ones. I was always disappointed with Plo Koon's and Kit Fisto rubber heads. A lot of detail is lost because of the rubber. I really hope they reissue those two guys with new plastic heads in future sets.

Great review, Ice. Very detailed and thorough, as always!

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:25 pm

unclephn wrote: I was always disappointed with Plo Koon's and Kit Fisto rubber heads. A lot of detail is lost because of the rubber. I really hope they reissue those two guys with new plastic heads in future sets.
As do I, If you call lego up, they send you a new head.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:37 pm

lukeskywalker wrote:
unclephn wrote: I was always disappointed with Plo Koon's and Kit Fisto rubber heads. A lot of detail is lost because of the rubber. I really hope they reissue those two guys with new plastic heads in future sets.
As do I, If you call lego up, they send you a new head.
Fortunately, mine are still in good condition. What I meant was that I don't think you can achieve the same level of detail with a rubber head that you can with a plastic one. Judging from Ice's photo, Shaak Ti's head looks awesome. I think if they tried to make that with rubber, it'd look a lot less awesome.

But thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember that for future reference!

Relhak
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Relhak » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Piece-wise, I thought it was certainly worth a price of $50 (US) to anyone who is interested. The huge turntable that is used to make the wings rotate 360 degrees is worth $3-4. The large windscreen is very nicely printed in a neutral color scheme for MOCs. And most of all, Saesee Tiin and Shaak Ti use brand new molds that are also very nicely printed. The basic part count alone gives this a price of $40 to me, and I think there was certainly $10 worth of extra effort put into this set. Oh yeah, and it comes with yet another Anakin and Obi-Wan. Yawn.

The only things I didn't like were that the underside of the wings are hideous, and as others have mentioned, it's sized more like a starfighter than a shuttle. I think the wings could have been designed with snotted construction over a 1xN wall core for about 100-150 pieces more (and $10-15 extra). As for making it closer to scale, maybe Lego will come out with a huge $200 version to please the collectors that have bottomless wallets.

Bottom line, don't pay over $50. If it's under $40, then any SW collector should jump on it.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Mantisking wrote:
koromo wrote:The core rotational piece was an interesting find ,I havent seen one since a Universal technic set from way back.
Was it this piece?
Similiar but with longer posts/legs-whatever on the top and bottom. I believe its called the large type I.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.