[REVIEW] 4737 Quidditch Match

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
60%
Average
40%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 5

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[REVIEW] 4737 Quidditch Match

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:45 am

Indexed

Buy Now: $19.99 USA | $24.99 Canada | £20.99 UK

4737 Quidditch Match
Pieces: 153
Price: $19.99
Price Per Piece: $.13
Minifigures: 5
LEGO Description:
Catch the Golden Snitch and win the match for Gryffindor!

Marcus Flint and the Slytherin team are winning! Gryffindor's only chance to win is if Harry Potter is the first Seeker to catch the Golden Snitch ! Beat the bludgers away, soar through goal posts, a tower or over the stands, fire catapults, catch the Snitch, then fly away through the Hufflepuff Tower with the trophy! Includes 5 minifigures: Harry Potter , Oliver Wood, Draco Malfoy , Marcus Flint and Madam Hooch Spectator stands feature seating for Madam Hooch and a hole for Quidditch players to fly through! Accessories include brooms, Quaffleand Bludgers, Golden Snitch , chest, three goal posts, catapults and a Quidditch trophy Hufflepuff Tower measures 7' (17 cm) tall
Alright, I wont try and hide it, I think that this set is awesome. The reasons as to why I think this set is awesome are going to become quite apparent very quickly. Be ready, because it's going to be a magical ride. I promise that it will be magical more than just because it is a Harry Potter set.

First off, I destroyed the box by stepping on it. Completely by accident though. Sorry. It was a decent box, but nothing special as I recall.

Straight to the minifigures!There are 5 in this $20 set. For those of you not familiar with LEGO's usual pricing to minifigure ratio, this is comparable to me getting a $10 scratch off prize on a $2 card. It makes me ecstatic. Usually if you want this many minifigures, you're going to have to look at a $30 range.

First up is Madame Hooch, one of my personal favorite Harry Potter characters. She is mentioned maybe like 5 times in the books and then disappears. I think LEGO makes up for it here by giving her a kickin' torso and some snazzy printing. Her face IS double sided. This side features her 'flying goggles' as I have deemed them. She sports a black cape as well.

The alternate face is just her plain face with golden eyes. She also has a dignified aged look about her, which is very nice too see as most minifigure faces tend to forgo any sort of indication of age.

Next up we have our two Slytherin quidditch team members, sporting their black Nimbus 2001s if I recall correctly. The attention paid to detail here is commendable. First off, both the characters are spot on in their faces. You can easily recognize who these people are. Draco sports his usual smug grin and Marcus Flint looks incredibly like Marcus Flint.

Spot on.

Something also has to be said about those torsos. They're absolutely amazing and can easily double as sweaters. Also spot on compared to how they looked in the film. Both characters also sport matching forest green capes.

Only Draco has a double sided face, but that's okay with me because I can't remember Marcus Flint ever sporting anything besides that buck tooth murder face. Draco is sporting his patented 'oh no, Harry Potter is going to out smart/maneuver/show me up face.

A quick note on Draco's hair, it is just a well combed blond hair piece that doesn't go any further than the back of his head.

Now onto Gryffindor. Here is Harry and Oliver Wood, looking sporty in their Maroon and Gold jerseys? Sweaters? I'm not sure what to call them. They look pretty warm though. The printing on them both is spot on and just like in the movies. Both characters have matching maroon capes. My only complaint here is that Oliver Wood has a completely generic face. I know that Sean Biggerstaff (The actor who plays Oliver Wood in the movie) has a generic face in real life, but there could have been more detail.

Only Harry has reverse head printing. It's just his happy face.

This concludes the section about the minifigures.

The main structure featured in this set is the Quidditch stand, not my computer speaker in the background (I have to stress that :lol: ) It's a pretty solid structure. It only seats one though. I think that LEGO could have adjusted the stand to fit two people. It's not much of a stand if there's only room for one.

It does look pretty decent from the side though. Hooray for brown pieces.

There are quite a few other tiny little additions to this set.

Here’s a trophy stand with a red flag for Gryffindor and a green flag for Slytherin. Surprisingly there wasn’t any sort of sticker for the trophy like there are with the World Racers sets.

There are also these little launcher pads to fire out the quaffles and bludgers that you will see in a little bit. I have no idea what the green and red cones are for. Maybe fire them out too?

This is the rest of the quidditch equipment: 2 quaffles, 4 bludgers, 2 beater helmets, 2 beater bats, and a golden snitch. It’s quite a plus to get a bunch of extra minifigure accessories in a set. On the downside though, the quidditch balls aren’t really balls. Instead, they are rounded bricks with a stud in the back where a technic pin or stud can connect it to something else. I suppose this does keep them from rolling around, but with all the detail they’ve paid attention to so far with this set, this sudden lapse is confusing.

Finally this review finishes up with the goal posts. There are three of them at varying heights. It comes with much wanted maroon and tan pieces. What most of you are wondering about are probably the goal posts themselves though. Good question.

Each of the goal posts is made up of one of these sturdy but bendy golden tubes. You bend them into a circle and then stick them into an open stud hole. They were straight to begin with. These are some pretty nifty pieces if I do say so myself. The fact that they’re gold just make me all the happier :D .

And now I will top it all off with one big overview shot!

So as you could probably already guess I would highly recommend this set! Quite a few reasons.

• Varied, colored, rare and unique pieces
• 5 Minifigures, amazing for this price
• Minifigures have great printing, and most of them have an alternate and unique face
• Lots of minifigure accessories

Go out and get this set. Go go go!
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: [REVIEW] 4737 Quidditch Match

Post by vynsane » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Yeah, I want this one for reals. This reminds me of playing the 'Quidditch World Cup' game for Gamecube, where they kept calling it the "golden snidgit" - like, DUDE! The entire game revolves around it and you can't get it right???
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:46 pm

vynsane wrote:Yeah, I want this one for reals. This reminds me of playing the 'Quidditch World Cup' game for Gamecube, where they kept calling it the "golden snidgit" - like, DUDE! The entire game revolves around it and you can't get it right???
Ughhh...I played that game...That game probably caused quite a few smashed TVs.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:11 pm

It looks like the stands could easily be modified to fit more of a crowd. I've always been kind of lukewarm with HP (only seen the 1st 2 movies, no books), but as a sports fan Quidditch intrigued me as does this set. Nice review, I think you sold me.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!