[REVIEW] 3179: Repair Truck

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
43%
Average
57%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 7

toystest
Knight
Knight

[REVIEW] 3179: Repair Truck

Post by toystest » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Indexed

Name: Repair Truck (#3179)
MSRP: $12.99
Pieces: 118
Price Per Piece: $0.11
Minifigures: 1

LEGO Description
Keep the lights of LEGO® City shining bright and the roads safe on even dark and foggy nights with the help of the hard-working Repair Truck and crew! Has your street lamp gone out? No problem! Just hop in the basket and use the movable, folding crane arm to reach the top for a speedy repair. Includes repair crew minifigure. Includes repair truck and repair crew minifigure Use the basket's folding crane arm to put the lights back on! Measures over 4" (10cm) long and 5" (12cm) tall
First off let's take a look at the box:

The box contains one instruction booklet, 2 bags of bricks, 2 larger plates (6x10 and 4x12) and a sheet of stickers.

Here is a random page from the instructions:

This set comes with one minifigure, a relatively standard worker:
I am a little bit dissapointed the back is unprinted.
There is however a nice sprue of tools
Here is the worker again with the tools and also some of the spare lights.
Here are some of the notable pieces. The rarest piece in the set seems to be the White Crane Basket . The 4x6 yellow roof is also kind of neat.

Now let's take a look at the complete build. I have not attached the stickers, because my son picks them off and I would find them in random places.
Now let's move up the Crane basket. It extends pretty high and pivots 360 degrees around.
If my memory serves me right the city corner set has the exact same light pole in it. So this will integrate very well with that set and the rest of my city display.
Now let's take the security fences off the back of the truck and complete the scene.
The truck has two storage containers, one to hold the spare lights and one to hold a couple of the tools.

The build was very simple and took me and my son around 10-15 minutes. (he's almost 3). Alone it can probably be build in like 5 minutes. With the pivoting and extending Crane, the tools and the light post this set has a lot of playability. If you also have/build the city corner set it will match up pretty good. The set is, at full price, a little bit more expensive then I usually like at 11 cents a piece. For me usually the cutoff is 10 cents, but I got this one at a BOGO 25% off sale at TRU for 10.40 after tax or around 8.8 cents a piece. Even at the full price this is a pretty nice set with some nice details. I give this set a 8.5/10, 1 point deducted for the 1 cent the set is over 10 cents a piece. I also deducted half a point for the relatively simple minifig that comes with this set. All in all I recommend this set, especially if you can get it at a discounted price :)

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW] 3179: Repair Truck

Post by funnypeople » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:08 pm

These little city sets keeps getting better and better. Only downpoint are the stickers.

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:11 am

funnypeople wrote:These little city sets keeps getting better and better. Only downpoint are the stickers.
Eventhough the stickers are annoying, it doesn't bother me all that much that they do not print these bricks, it seems like they are a lot more versatile if they aren't printed.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:47 am

Looks like a nice little set.

I like the green trash can.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Nice little set. I liked the truck so I cloned parts of it. :)

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:52 pm

Good review. They seem to make the city sets nicer and nicer as they go along. It's a good trend in LEGO to combat some of the other downward trends.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:40 am

legitimatealex wrote:Good review. They seem to make the city sets nicer and nicer as they go along. It's a good trend in LEGO to combat some of the other downward trends.
yeah this year's summer sets seem to be even better.