[REVIEW] 6754: Family House

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
90%
Average
10%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 10

toystest
Knight
Knight

[REVIEW] 6754: Family House

Post by toystest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Indexed

Name: Family Home (#6754)
MSRP: $59.99
Pieces: 976
Price Per Piece: $0.061

LEGO Description
3 houses in 1! Build a classic family home filled from wall to wall with great details, including an awning, window shutters, a terrace area and picnic bench, and even a bird bath and duck pond with a buildable duck. When you're done, take it all apart and rebuild it as a charming bungalow or a lovely Mediterranean-style villa -- instructions included for all 3! A cool 3-in-1 building experience! Features great details such as awning, shutters, bird bath, terrace area and picnic bench! Rebuilds into a bungalow or a Mediterranean villa! Family Home measures 10" (26cm) long and 9" (23cm) tall
As Promised here's my review of the Lego Creator Family Home set. I took almost 90 pictures of this set, I really had to be picky and narrowed it down to 31 pictures. 16 of which are of the main build.

Let's get started with the basics. Here is the front of the box:
The back of the box contains a picture of all 3 builds this set can make.
This set comes with 4 full size instruction booklets, there are 2 for the primary build and one each for the other two:
The 976 pieces in this set make for quite a pile of lego's or in this case 3 piles:

The Family Home
This one is an fun build with lots of small details. The picnic table, the pond and the Bird Feeder, but also things like the sliding door, the multi-part window and the blue shutters. Here is a general overview of the front:
The back of the house is kind of, well how do I put this, I guess the best way to put it is that it is a big wall of bricks :). The chimney however is nicely done.
Here is a more detailed picture of the front of the house, on this picture I closed the shutters on the top window. You can also see the 6 clear 1x2 bricks behind the arch in the doorway which adds a nice touch.
Okay now let's take one of the 2 roof-pieces off and take a look inside.
Now let's take the entire roof of and expose the entire ground floor. On this picture you can also see one of the main downsides of this set, the inside is pretty much empty.
The Roof pieces themselves are rather intersting:

Now let's take a look at some of the details:
Here is a picture of the interior arches, the fireplace and he stairs.
Every of these 3 sets has a little bird on it, here is the duck that comes with the main house:
Here is a picture of the sliding door in the back, the left door is stationary and the right one can move to allow for a complete doorsize opening. The shade covering the back door seems to be the same, just slightly smaller, as the one used in the Cafe Corner set.
I am not sure why, but I really like the way the picnice table looks. It's a very simple design made out of 9 pieces, yet it looks very realistic.
Here is a more detailed shot of the 7 part main window:
And the last item is the bird feeder:

The Mediterranean villa
This one is the smallest build of all, my guess would be that it used around 500-600 pieces it. However having been to the Mediterranean on several visits this model does capture the look and feel of the houses in that area.
Here is a main overview picture:
Here is a more detailed picture of the second floor.
Here is another overview picture of the front of the house:
Now let's take off the roof and take a look inside. On this picture you can see hoe small the interior is of this build, Looking at the amount of bricks that are remaining they could have easier made it bigger witouth adding any (or very few) pieces.
Now let's take a look at some of the outside detail. You can see the Pool, deck and some of the patio on this picture. I think the pool is a nice touch, so is the sunbed, however they could have been a little bit bigger as they do not match the scale of the rest of the building.
And last the little bird on top of the roof.

The bungalow
This is a rather interesting build. The roof was especialy interesting, but I'll get to that later. This Bungalow only has one empty wall, there seems to be windows/doors on all sides sides and the empty side is small and has a nice looking chimney on it.

Here's the overview picture of the fron of the bungalow.
Here is the side, you can see the 3 windows, that are build slightly into the wall
Here is the back (with another sliding door/sun shade) and the 'empty' wall.
Here is a pictyure of the house witouth the roof on it. You can also see the grill and set table on this picture, but again the scale seems to be off, especialy on the table.
This set also has a slight varioation on the duck in the pond.
Now let's get to the roof, here is a poicture of the entire roof after you remove it from the house. You can see that the roof bricks are not used in their normal stacking pattern instead they are lined up to make the roof more flat. I can see the need for this since the main house uses the 2 stud wide roof bricks as aposed to the 3 stud wide bricks that would go on a build like this. It makes for a slightly uinstable roof, but it looks ery nice, and unique.
Now let's take flip it over and look at the bottom of the house. The best method I have found to stabalize the roof is to take of the 2 1x10 tan plates and sit it flat on the table. If you leave these two on pressing on the top will push off the white plates.
Now let's take the roof bricks off and take a look at the frame:
You can see that this is not the main build, but a secondary build in the Creator set by the seemingly random pieces that are used

CONCLUSION
I like this set so much that I have opened the second set I bought to allow for larger houses to be build. I was even tempted to buy a third one when I saw it at Walmart for 40$. Even though not everything in these builds is in minifig scale, it allows for some good play with minifigs from other sets. Like other Creator sets this is really a good buy for beginning lego enthusiasts (like myself) as you get almost 1,000 bricks for in my case 52$ (I got them at BOGO 50% off at TRU). That is just slightly over 5 cents a piece, and the bricks are NOT mainly 1x1 plates, but larger bricks instead. Besides the fact that this set has a very good price/piece ratio the builds are also very detailed and interesting. It took me around 6-8 hours to build all 3 houses with the 'help' of my son. They can probably be build in 4 hours or so. I give this set a 9/10. The only negative I can think of is that there could be a little bit more decoration on the inside and a slightly larger scale on some of the outside decorations.

JabbaT
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW] 6754: Family House

Post by JabbaT » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:23 am

Good review! The price is extremely good value and the detail is amazing.

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:24 am

I like this set a lot. Despite the scale issues, I think it tops the Beach House & Apple Tree House also on shelves now. I built the first two, leaving out the Bungalow. Here are some pictures of my build of the Mediterranean House.

Resting, and testing the waters:
Close up of the Zombie R&R:
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 am

haha that's hilarious. Zombie R&R. Time for some Left 4 Dead!

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:55 am

Everybody needs a little break, even the undead. :D I didn't get a chance to take pictures of their invasion of the main build on this set. They attacked several City MFs, were crawling in windows and whatnot. The kids got to it before I could take pictures though.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:58 am

possum wrote:Everybody needs a little break, even the undead. :D I didn't get a chance to take pictures of their invasion of the main build on this set. They attacked several City MFs, were crawling in windows and whatnot. The kids got to it before I could take pictures though.
yeah what's up with that. Kids thinking they can play with our legos ;)

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks for the review. Looks like a good set.

gabriellee11
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by gabriellee11 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 pm

I know that will look great with 4996 Beach House and 5891 Apple Tree House, but do you think that the 4956 House will look good along with them? The 4956 House seems not to have as much details as the other ones. What do you think about the 4956? Would you buy it?

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:21 pm

gabriellee11 wrote:I know that will look great with 4996 Beach House and 5891 Apple Tree House, but do you think that the 4956 House will look good along with them? The 4956 House seems not to have as much details as the other ones. What do you think about the 4956? Would you buy it?
I actually bought it the other day, it's in the closet I have not yet had a chance to build it. I think that set looks very neat as well. And like all the Creator home sets you get a lot of pieces for your money. As soon as I have the time for it I will open the set and review it as well. I am currently working on reviewing the Beach house, or at least getting the pictures together for the review.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks for the review. This set is in my purchase list for this year. There are so many sets I want to get. It is hard to decide which set to get first........Buzz's Star Command Spaceship, Green grocer, ARC-170 Starfighter, Slave I, apple tree house, and more.

I had the yellow house, too. It looks great and it is worth with the price.

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:13 pm

legohunter wrote:Thanks for the review. This set is in my purchase list for this year. There are so many sets I want to get. It is hard to decide which set to get first........Buzz's Star Command Spaceship, Green grocer, ARC-170 Starfighter, Slave I, apple tree house, and more.

I had the yellow house, too. It looks great and it is worth with the price.
I'm planning on submitting my review for the yellow beach house tonight :)

Also my recommendation would be to buy the Green grocer first, as I am expecting it to be retired within the next couple of months.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Too bad that I missed the free shipping deal from lego.com in last month.

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:02 pm

legohunter wrote:Too bad that I missed the free shipping deal from lego.com in last month.
lego had free shipping and 25% off (if you bought 2 other sets) last X-mas :)

I paid 108 and change for mine shipped :D

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:08 pm

:o That's a good deal, much better than wasting time to bid at ebay. I wish they will make the same or better offer to us this year. Hopefully, the green grocer is still available at the time.

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:36 pm

legohunter wrote::o That's a good deal, much better than wasting time to bid at ebay. I wish they will make the same or better offer to us this year. Hopefully, the green grocer is still available at the time.
The deal was if you bought any 3 of the following 4 you got 25% off it all
The volkswagen Beetle
Loot island
Single Drum Roller
Green Grocer