[REVIEW] 8038 Battle of Endor

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
83%
Average
17%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 12

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

[REVIEW] 8038 Battle of Endor

Post by DrBeaker » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:47 pm

Indexed

My local Walmart had one of these marked down to $90. I guess they're clearing shelf space for the Summer SW wave. I've been thinking about getting one for a while and the sale price tipped me over the edge.

Details

Pieces = 890
MSRP = $99.99
Minifigures = 12
Price per piece = 11.2 cents

The Box

The box is on the large side and really does justice to the set. The front shows all of the components in action, with an art background.

The back of the box is packed with photos showing the playability and functionality of the set. I really appreciated this, as the 2010 line seems to use a good portion of the box space to simply advertise other sets in the line. The rear left side shows the AT-ST in action, along with the Ewok catapult.

The rear ride side focuses on the bunker and its various features.

Inside the box are a lot of bags (9 total!) and two instruction books. Hooray! No stickers! :D Bags in this set are numbered. The Ewok catapult, minifigs, glider and imperial speeder bikes are in bags labelled 1, the AT-ST is in the bags labelled 2 and the bunker is in bags labelled 3.

The Ewok heads show up in their own bags within the larger ones.

Minifigures

The minifigures were a big part of my initial interest in this set. Twelve is a great number and several of these are new or exclusive to this set. The rebel troopers make their first appearance ever in the forest camo, as does Leia in a similar outfit. The last time Lego Ewoks came out was several years ago and their faces were nowhere near as nice as these. Let's start with the Ewoks.

We get three different Ewok minifigs. Two have the same color fur and are distinguished by their hood color. The third has a gray colored fur. All of them have molded heads the fit over the torso. I included R2-D2 in this picture as well. He is fairly common to many sets. The dome printing on R2 is the newer kind that extends all the way down. None of the Ewoks have any printing on their torsos.

Han, the scout troopers and the Death Star trooper all have nicely printed torsos on the front. None have any printing on the back. The scout troopers are the only duplicated figures in this set. Their distinct helmet is accurate. The death star trooper is a nice inclusion, although a little surprising. I would have expected an AT-ST pilot but was happy to get this guy instead!

As I mentioned earlier, the rebel fatigues are new minifigs. We get two different rebel trooper heads, plus helmets and guns. The torsos of the troopers are identical but very nice. Leia has her own unique torso.

All of the jungle fatigues also have printing on the back too!

Ewok Glider and Catapult

The glider and catapult were both quick builds. The catapult is nothing special, although it does seem to scale with the Ewok figures.

The glider assembles easily and is nicely designed. The Ewok minifigs attach by holding on with their hands. There is a separate "flying base" that the Ewok can then stand on for the flying effect. Or they can just be swooshed around.

The Speeder Bikes

These bikes are not unique to this set have appeared in other recent OT and CW sets. That said, I really like them! I believe they capture the feel of the ones from RoJ perfectly. 8038 comes with two, so you can recreate many of the chase scenes from the movie.

AT-ST

The AT-ST was my favorite build in this set. It had a nice mix of different building techniques with almost no repetition. As can be seen from the pictures, the AT-ST has a good amount of technic pieces to give it the walking action. The final product is very functional, with good walking action, opening top hatch and full swivel of the head from the legs. Here's a side profile shot with a minifig for scale:

A shot of Chewie after commandering the AT-ST:

My only complaint about the AT-ST is a minor one and is the size of the cockpit. It would have been nice to have a final vehicle that could seat two minifigs. However, they most recent AT-AT set doesn't even seat two, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised here.

The Bunker

As was seen on the box, the bunker "unfolds" for playability. The build begins with the front part of the bunker, that is most visible throughout RoJ.

As the outer wall is being built up, there is a whole lot of Technic pieces and gears that go near the front entrance. We'll see what this all does in a moment.

Here's the front of the bunker once the blast doors are in. They slide freely along the beige technic gears seen in the picture above.

After the roof goes on the main building, we turn the structure around and build the wings. Both sides are identical.

The side wings fold neatly into the main structure and actually click into place on some concealed pieces. This is nice feature if younger kids might play with the set, as it allows the compact bunker to be moved without the sides breaking away from the main piece.

So what was all of the technic construction for? To blow the bunker up, obviously :P ! The inverted dishes on the roof to the left and the right of the main entrance trigger the (now) hidden spring loaded assemblies and BOOM, the front four wall pieces blast off. Fun!

The bunker works really well with the minifigs and other accessories in this set. The opportunities for modeling or recreating some of our favorite Endor moments from RoJ are nearly endless.

PRO's

Awesome selection of minifigures
Good breadth of playability
Extraordinary attention to detail, more so than other recent sets
Fun, varied builds
Appeals to both kids and AFOL (at least in my household!)

CON's

No AT-ST driver?

FInal Verdict

If it isn't apparent from my comments so far, I really like this set. It is probably my favorite SW Lego purchase from the past 18 months. Lego seems to have gone the extra mile here, between the new rebel figures, redone Ewoks and lots of little touches that make everything come together. In an era where is seems like most of each release line is spaceship that has often been made three or four times already, a playable base with some vehicles feels like a breath of fresh air. The MSRP isn't great, but it also isn't the highway robbery that some of the more recent sets have been.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: [REVIEW] 8038 Battle of Endor

Post by hatcher » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Nice Review. This set was one of my "Must Haves" from the last wave, and it was mainly for the mini figures. The AT-ST is good, and the bunker does have the fun play features you mentioned. Princess Leia's hair is very good, and I really liked getting the new R2-D2.

Did you have any trouble with the rebel troopers hats? One of mine keeps popping off.

One minor nit-pick, that Imperial is not a Death Star Trooper, he's called "Imperial Trooper" on the top of the box, and if you look at the Death Star Trooper picture on bricklink, you'll see that the two of them, while very similar, have slight differences between them.

Other than that, very good review!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:29 pm

hatcher wrote: Did you have any trouble with the rebel troopers hats? One of mine keeps popping off.
I had the same problem, I sent a missing/broken parts e-mail to customer service and they sent me a new one. Be sure to include the set identification number found on the back of the first instruction booklet. (hint: it starts with 4561)

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by DrBeaker » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:03 pm

hatcher wrote:
Did you have any trouble with the rebel troopers hats? One of mine keeps popping off.
I didn't have any trouble with their hats. They fit nicely :) !
hatcher wrote: One minor nit-pick, that Imperial is not a Death Star Trooper, he's called "Imperial Trooper" on the top of the box, and if you look at the Death Star Trooper picture on bricklink, you'll see that the two of them, while very similar, have slight differences between them.
You're absolutely right. I saw the black uniform and imagined him on the Death Star. Probably wishful thinking, as the Death Star (10188) will be well outside my budget for the immediate future.

Ogre21
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Ogre21 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:48 am

I'm a big fan of this set...probably due at least in part to the fact that Endor has kind of been on the 'short end of the stick' when it comes to Star Wars sets. IIRC, there were only three sets in the early days...AT-ST (with Chewbacca driving), a speeder bike set (with Luke in camo) and 'Ewok Attack'. Rather lame.
This set finally gives me something that I can 'sink my teeth into', so to speak. All of the 'forest planet' elements in one set...EXCEPT for three glaring omissions...no AT-ST driver (as was mentioned in the review), no C-3PO (umm...the 'golden god'...rather important in the movie, yes?) and no Luke in camo. I wouldn't have minded paying just a tad more, to receive those three extra figures.
Aside from that, an awesome set.
~ Ogre

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:55 am

Ogre21 wrote:
This set finally gives me something that I can 'sink my teeth into', so to speak. All of the 'forest planet' elements in one set...EXCEPT for three glaring omissions...no AT-ST driver (as was mentioned in the review), no C-3PO (umm...the 'golden god'...rather important in the movie, yes?) and no Luke in camo. I wouldn't have minded paying just a tad more, to receive those three extra figures.
Aside from that, an awesome set.
at-st driver probably okay. no luke or c-3po. you can get luke in camo by substituting the head of a regular camo soldier and the tons of luke heads available. wanting a luke in camo is like saying you want a luke in stormtrooper costume. totally redundant since you can build it on your own. :lol:

c-3po is already available in the landspeeder, magnet sets, etc. thus not really that hard-to-find anymore unlike in the past.

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:05 am

natelite wrote:[. you can get luke in camo by substituting the head of a regular camo soldier and the tons of luke heads available. wanting a luke in camo is like saying you want a luke in stormtrooper costume. totally redundant since you can build it on your own. :lol:

c-3po is already available in the landspeeder, magnet sets, etc. thus not really that hard-to-find anymore unlike in the past.
ya but then ur down a rebel trooper! maybe they release a magnet set w/ Endor Rebel Trooper in the future, but did think it was strange that they didnt include 3P0 in this set, he was at the battle it represents

Thats interesting that other people had problems with the trooper hats too, musta been a problem w/ the mold.

Still, by far one of my favourite sets! Great Review!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:21 am

This was the set that helped me bond with my now-wife's daughters. The modular build was perfect as it allowed one to do the glider & speeder, one to do the AT-ST & catapult, & me to do the bunker. The figures are plentiful and the tricks are awesome. It was my first set with the sliding doors and I thought I enjoyed the feature until I got to the exploding walls. This is indeed a must-have set.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!