[REVIEW] 7686: Helicopter Transporter

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
43%
Average
57%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 7

toystest
Knight
Knight

[REVIEW] 7686: Helicopter Transporter

Post by toystest » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Indexed

After I got this from the closet, opened it, built it and made a bunch of pictures and got online I noticed this set is no longer official sold by Lego. It's still on Bricklink for like 35$ New Sealed. My apologies on forehand for that. :oops: :oops:

Name: Helicopter Transporter (#7686)
MSRP: $39.99
Pieces: 377
Price Per Piece: $0.106
Minifigures: 3
LEGO Description
When there's a major traffic jam in LEGO City, the Road Rescue crew knows just what to do. Send the motorcycle ahead to scout out the situation, then drive up in the truck and launch the traffic copter into the air to get a bird's-eye view of the problem! Includes 3 minifigures and accessories! Loaded with action play! Build the helicopter, transporter truck and motorcycle! Lift the hood of the truck, spin the helicopter propeller and store tools in the various tool compartments! Transporter truck measures 15 inches (38.1cm) long by 2'½ inches (6.4cm) tall! Helicopter measures 7 inches (17.8cm) long by 3 inches (7.6cm) tall!
Here's the box:

There is actually quite a bit in the box. There are 4 bags of Lego, 2 Instruction booklets, 1 small sticker sheet and the large truck chassis.

There are 3 minifigures included, a truck driver, a helicopter pilot and a motor driver.

Here are the contacts of Bag 1, this builds the motor and helicopter. My Son was anxious to get started so I had some trouble keeping him away from it. (So the hand does not come with the set ;) )

the remaining bags make the truck and trailer:

The fourth bag also contained something I had never seen before in a Lego set, it actually contained a spree of lego bits. Here is a more detailed picture of it:

Here's the truck with the roof removed and the engine showing. There is actually quite some detail. My son had some trouble closing the engine cover as it just barely fits. For an adult it is pretty easy to close:

The helicopter has some pretty unique pieces on it. Unlike the rotor on the Rotor Rescue set the white cap on this helicopter makes it quite a bit sturdier. The white flap on the back of the helicopter is somewhat loose and comes off easily.

The helicopter fits quite stable on the trailer. You can also see the roof of the truck on this picture. It would have been nice if the wheels in the far back of the trailer were a little bit more flexible, however one or two small plates made them turn a lot easier.

Here is the complete set. The motor looks cool, and exists out of 2 main parts. The black frame and the orange exterior. I have not yet applied the stickers as my son loves peeling them off, and I think it's a waste if they all disappear of the bricks.

I was a little bit dissapointed with the fact that the pants and torso of all 3 minifigures were identical and only their face and hats were differnt. That is the only real negative point I can come up with for the set. You get a truck with trailer, a helicopter, a motor and 3 figures for the relatively low price of 39.99US. All in all it is a pretty good set, a nice source for some diverse orange pieces. All three vehicles in this set are really cool looking and despite the fact that there are a lot of moving parts, they are also quite sturdy.

toystest
Knight
Knight

Re: [REVIEW] 7686: Helicopter Transporter

Post by toystest » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:00 pm

yoda99 wrote:
toystest wrote:After I got this from the closet, opened it, built it and made a bunch of pictures and got online I noticed this set is no longer official sold by Lego. It's still on Bricklink for like 35$ New Sealed. My apologies on forehand for that. :oops: :oops:
It was short lived. Maybe not a good seller.
I don't know why it was pulled that fast, the set is pretty good.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:26 am

I actually saw it at TRU a couple of weeks ago.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:22 pm

ncbarrett wrote:I actually saw it at TRU a couple of weeks ago.
Yeah I bought it during the BOGO 50% they had in february

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:52 pm

I picked one up off eBay used and really dig it. Nice set.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:46 pm

possum wrote:I picked one up off eBay used and really dig it. Nice set.
Good to hear. Glad my review influenced your purchasing behavior. :)