[MOC] Phoenix Fireball

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

[MOC] Phoenix Fireball

Post by Toys N Bricks » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:21 pm

This week's cool creation is from our forum member vynsane. More pictures available at Flickr.

Permalink: http://toysnbricks.com/blog/moc-phoenix-fireball/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Transformers2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [MOC] Phoenix Fireball

Post by Transformers2 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:01 pm

I like the figures. You mix the agents bad guys with city figures?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Wow, thanks for the add - that was fast!

I saw a dearth of multi-passenger flying cars out there, and wanted to make a four-seater. This was the outcome. I designed it in LEGO Digital Designer (using 'Universe Mode') and then found a java program that allows you to extract a parts list, which can then be saved in BrickLink wishlist compatible XML format!

It features opening doors and luggage compartment - the opening compartment is the luggage area, not engine compartment - it's a rear-engine flying car ;)
Transformers2 wrote:I like the figures. You mix the agents bad guys with city figures?
Yeah, the guy in the 'shotgun' seat is the tourist from 'Robo Attack' (I LOVE that guy, he looks so happy to be alive) with different pants and the hair from the bad guy in another Agents set. The girl in the back is actually the 2002 figure from the Vintage Minifigure Collection series 5 with the an Agents bad girl head and red Exo Force hair. The guy in the seat behind the driver is basically just the skater from Collectible Minifigures series 1 and the driver is a Space Police 3 Snake head w/ blue Exo Force hair, dark blue jacket torso and the orange pants from an Agents bad guy. The Exo Force hair just seems futuristic to me.

Also, just updated it with some back-story:
Phoenix Corp. does it again with the 2278 Fireball, an instant classic flying car with room for a driver and three passengers.

With a X/K-11 Dark Energy Emitter on anti-grav duties and dual Hurst Matter/Anti-Matter colliders on forward propulsion, the Fireball gets you there fast, in style AND comfort.

At an altitude of 3,000 metres the patented ForceShield windscreen extends to a bubble canopy for high-altitude and space flight, where the air purifier can pump the gaseous mixture of your choice into the cabin.
Last edited by vynsane on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 pm

vynsane wrote:Wow, thanks for the add - that was fast!
Your most welcome! We're everywhere in the LEGO Community. ;)
vynsane wrote:It features opening doors and luggage compartment - the opening compartment is the luggage area, not engine compartment - it's a rear-engine flying car ;)
There was no description anywhere so I had to make assumptions :P . Sorry about that. Its now fixed.

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi, there-Vynsane-I've been working on a model in Digital Designer. But what's universe mode?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:09 am

Ice wrote:There was no description anywhere so I had to make assumptions :P . Sorry about that. Its now fixed.
Thanks, yeah - I uploaded them late at night figuring no one would see them until I had the opportunity to do some write-ups... guess I was wrong ;)
TClone wrote:Hi, there-Vynsane-I've been working on a model in Digital Designer. But what's universe mode?
LDD Universe Mode lets you use basically every LEGO element in current production in any color LEGO uses. You have to register at Eurobricks.com in order to find out how to unlock the program in this way: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p ... opic=40794

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Nice work Vynsane! The combination is well executed and the mix of figures makes it very unique. Do you typically design in digital designer first? How much time did it take to put this together if you had to estimate all your sessions (assuming it wasn't an over-nighter which would make it all the more amazing)?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:37 am

calvinwashere2 wrote:Nice work Vynsane! The combination is well executed and the mix of figures makes it very unique. Do you typically design in digital designer first?
Thanks, man! No, this was my first exercise in using LDD to fully realize a MOC before building it. While it's a lot of fun just throwing bricks together, my collection is still limited - LDD allows you to build unfettered by limitations, which is pretty awesome. I then found a Java JAR script that extracts the brick data from your .lxf file, and can output a bricklink wantlist compatible XML file which allows you to just upload to BL and buy away! I deleted the pieces I already had from the BL XML file, and ordered the rest. I can't say it's cheap this way - the above ended up costing about $90 when all was said and done. It was a lot of money for the figures, engine pieces and that one 1x10 slope piece for the 'tail', although I did buy a bunch of extraneous stuff to make some of the minimum buys. Also, before shipping I think it cost $70, so there's that! But it's definitely a way to achieve your vision.
How much time did it take to put this together if you had to estimate all your sessions (assuming it wasn't an over-nighter which would make it all the more amazing)?
I think the LDD design came to fruition over the course of a couple of weeks. I had been working on it prior to Father's Day and initially wanted to get it done in time to order the stuff to build it that weekend, but I wasn't nearly close enough to finished to do that. As my BL orders came in, I pieced together what I could, so it came together over time. The building of the piece didn't take longer than a few hours, though, if I cut out all the waiting in between deliveries. There were some running changes I made to the structure. LDD will only get you so far, but once you have the actual bricks in-hand you find out some connections aren't so solid... or that you completely deleted a necessary connection and the piece is just floating there ;). So it was still a case of throwing bricks together, you just know which bricks to have available.

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:21 pm

Vynsane, some good points and tips you brought up. I learned a couple things just from what you said that I'll keep in mind for the future, thanks for sharing those insights!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:42 am

Not a problem. Just FYI, the Java program I used is called 'Brickhelper' and can be DL'd here:

http://www.blarworld.net/software.html

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:33 am

Also, just noticed that the voting thread for the Eurobricks LDD Design Contest is up - anyone who's a member over there, please vote Phoenix Fireball!

Designer: vynsane
EntryID: 214 Name: Phoenix Corp. Fireball

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks for the vote, legitimatealex!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:26 am

vynsane wrote:Thanks for the vote, legitimatealex!
Hey, no problem at all. Your entry goes toe to toe with the other entries and I'm not the only person who voted for you over there.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:38 am

Yeah, but you're the only one who gave me all three points ;)

I'm holding steady in third place right now, I believe.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 pm

vynsane wrote:Yeah, but you're the only one who gave me all three points ;)

I'm holding steady in third place right now, I believe.
Good luck. Sadly I only operate one forum account per website :lol: I encourage everyone else here to go vote for Vynsane quickly!

micah82
Peasant
Peasant

Post by micah82 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:02 pm

That is amazing!!!! Great MOC.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:26 am

Calling all EuroBrickers - I'm currently one point away from second place in the LDD Design Challenge... your three points can make all the difference! Please VOTE PHOENIX FIREBALL!

Polling closes tomorrow!

Designer: vynsane
EntryID: 214 Name: Phoenix Corp. Fireball

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:41 am

Seriously, a little over three hours to go in voting - if I get all three of someone's points, I will win an Emerald Night train set! If I don't, I get a Chrome Stormtrooper (currently still available at TRU) and some other bonus prize they haven't revealed... I would really like to get the Emerald Night set! Help me {insert your username here}, you're my only hope!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Shoutout and Congratulations to Vynsane

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:52 am

I saw the results of Eurobrick's LDD Competition. Congratulations :D Enjoy that Emerald Night. Glad to see my 3 votes pushed you over to the 2nd place slot.

Contest Results here.
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p ... opic=45198
1st, with 58 votes, Anastasia Hotel by Igorlando - It's not often you see something like this - anywhere. Simply breathtaking with all its details.
2nd, with 22 votes, Phoenix Corporatin Fireball by Vynsane - Capturing the very definition of swooshable in a clean design. Splendid work.
3rd, with 20 votes, Winny the Pooh by private_lego - a fantastic sculpture modeled and built to perfection.
4th, with 12 points, Train Station by mrblue - Wonderful creation with great details that will look perfect in any train layout.
Congrats!

gbleeker
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Shoutout and Congratulations to Vynsane

Post by gbleeker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:47 am

Nice, congrats Vyn!