LEGO Cuusoo Fall 2012 Winner Set: Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

LEGO Cuusoo Fall 2012 Winner Set: Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Post by Toys N Bricks » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:24 pm

The results for the Fall 2012 LEGO Cuusoo projects are now in! The three projects that were considered due to reaching 10 000 votes were Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover, Star Wars UCS Sandcrawler, and Thinking with Portals!. The winner is Perijove's Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover. Congratulations! We're definitely looking forward to seeing this being made into an official LEGO Cuusoo set in 2013!

LEGO Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover Cuusoo 2013

For the Sandcrawler, it was not possible due to the ongoing license relationship with LucasArts and Disney. For Thinking with Portals!, test results are not yet in so there still could be a possiblity of a Thinking with Portals! set.

Here is the video on how LEGO Cuusoo decided on which set to make.

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/lego-cuusoo-fall ... ity-rover/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Re: LEGO Cuusoo Fall 2012 Winner Set: Mars Science Laborator

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Nice that they pick LAST fall's set before this fall...

Maybe we will see the BttF set before we actually invent time travel!!!

LegoFanTexas
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by LegoFanTexas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:24 am

Yea, they are taking WAY too long to do this, I haven't been to the site in awhile, lost interest due to a lack of focus.

Frankly, for as much as LEGO likes to promote that they can turn production quickly and are agile to the market, in this case, they are not.

Most of the public doesn't even remember the Mars lander now, it was on the news for a few days, then gone. Portals has much more staying power, but even it is fading without a Portal 3 coming...

Totally understand UCS Sandcrawler, not really a surprise there.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:56 am

It is too bad that it took so long, but this will definitely be the first CUUSOO set I'm interested in actually owning.

Bear in mind, that LEGO.CUUSOO is still in beta - they're going through a lot of growing pains right now. The staff is very small and having a hard time just keeping up with vetting new submissions. I'm sure they're just as frustrated as everyone else that the review process is as slow as it is right now.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

skeet318
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by skeet318 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:00 am

Brick & Blue wrote:Nice that they pick LAST fall's set before this fall...

Maybe we will see the BttF set before we actually invent time travel!!!
I know right!

alexb54
Citizen
Citizen

Post by alexb54 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:16 am

I couldn't be more happy with this decision. It's very special to have a Lego model of Curiosity, especially when it's still actively working on Mars right now, and continuing to discover new things. Of course a huge UCS Sand Crawler would be amazing, but it's understandable that there are licensing issues at this moment. I'm excited to purchase this meaningful "Mars Science Laboratory"!

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:01 pm

The CUUSOO #5 designer, Perijove, was at my last Lego User Group meeting. Some people were also there interviewing him for a documentary too. Perijove's design has a pretty nifty floating suspension system ... very very close to the real thing. Both Portal and Star Wars have to get an all clear for Licensing.

LegoFanTexas
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by LegoFanTexas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:11 pm

LEGO already has a licence with Disney for Star Wars, what we don't know is what the terms of that are, it might be they can make only a limited number of sets, or limited number of large sets.

As for Portals, hogwash, that one is easy.

TLG is a privately owned company. Kjeld could pickup the phone and call Gabe Newell, the owner of Valve (also a privately owned company), and simply say, "hey there, I hear this Portal thing is doing really well, here is what happened with Cuusoo, 10,000 votes in a few days, very popular, we'd like to do a line of LEGO toys, pay you 7% royalties, and promote both brands with high quality products. Interested?".

That takes 10 minutes. I'm quite sure that Gabe knows what LEGO is, he could take 10 minutes to review the Portals project, clearly see it was well done, see a chance for cross marketing for both companies.

It is the biggest no-brainer project since Minecraft. They would sell millions...

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:31 pm

And there are listings that Minecraft is getting two more sets, so obviously that worked out well.

I mean it takes them 9 months to say "well we still don't know about Portal", really? I understand legal BS, but it's been 9 months!