Creating your own stickers

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Creating your own stickers

Post by vynsane » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:37 pm

I've become interested in designing/printing my own custom stickers, either on vinyl cling or standard adhesive material, and wanted to know if anyone else here has experience/knowledge of the subject. With my background, I can pretty easily design the stickers, it's mainly the best media to print on, best practices on preserving the print-outs, etc...

Also, I tried to register at the CABG to ask around there, but it's apparently harder to register there than it is to break into Fort Knox :crazy:
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

GoN2Broadway
TnB Customizer Reporter
TnB Customizer Reporter

Re: Creating your own stickers

Post by GoN2Broadway » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Vynsane,

I don't have much experience printing on sticker material, but I do have some experience in printing decals. I know that the two are different in looks/aesthetics as well as in how they work with the minifigure, however, I thought I would throw in my two cents: I do like the look of decals over stickers, as it is one step closer to what we get with Lego printing (especially if it is done correctly), and it allows you to have any designs you like. I would definitely get clear decal paper, unless you are wanting to use white in the printing design, as most standard printers do not print whites.

For application (much of this is from personal experience - please realize, my expertise in customization is more in hand-painting designs rather than decaling, and there are many people who excel at decal application much greater than I; however, I did get my Lego Customs business started through decal customizations before I moved to hand-painting). You don't have to have a sealant for the decals, but I find that when you use it (and spray lightly so you don't soak through the decal paper, which can release the inks from the decal paper/make the colors run) it can help in the next step to avoid color running.

Most tutorials state that the next step is to dip the decal in water (well, brush the decal against the top of the water), but I found many decals were damaged that way. To compensate for this, I came up with my own personal way to get the decals moistened for release of the decal, but to not overly soak the decal as well (and actually, it also helps to transfer the decal over to the Lego easier with tweezers). I wet several paper towels and then hand-drain the paper towels - they are then placed on a plate (or flat surface) and you can set the decals on top of it for 15-30 seconds (or more depending on size of decal - just make sure the decal is flat and sitting on the entire surface of the paper towel) - after a little time, the decal can slide right off and onto your Lego. When I started doing this, the rate of decals that were applied correctly drastically rose higher!

Finally, let the decal set for a little bit, and if you're happy with it - seal it!

I hope that helped a little bit - if you want to FM me I can send you the names of a few people who are more involved in sticker application!

Josh
Family Bricks
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49756387@N02/

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Hey, Josh - thanks for the reply!

I have to say, while I agree waterslide decals have the best 'finish' look, I don't relish the idea of applying them to my LEGO elements. The standard LEGO stickers are permanent enough for my taste, I wouldn't want to get into applying decals and scraping them off (I presume that's how you have to do it, not sure) in order to reuse the part. That's why I'm more interested in vinyl cling or reusable adhesive stickers. As a MOCer who wants to add a little more subject-specific graphics as opposed to a dyed-in-the-wool customizer it suits my building style more.

darbee
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darbee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Does anyone know where to find good deals on decal paper? I saw some at Michael's in Canada and it was like $24 something for a few small sheets. Just wondering, if anyone prints on decals where do they normally get them from and what brand.

hankdelsi
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by hankdelsi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:28 am

i've purchased off flea bay & amazon, or if you have a local hobby shop

sparkart
Peasant
Peasant

Post by sparkart » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 pm

I've used a Brother P-Touch 9500PC printer to make simple stickers for these LEGO models.

The stickers are only two colors, the background and the foreground. Some of the printer tapes offered are clear, so I guess you could layer to get more colors in a design.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:33 pm

I've used a P-touch label maker to make some clear stickers. I have printed on regular paper and used a glue stick to apply. I heard photo sticker paper work well but I haven't been able to find some. Looking for something that is low tack and not permanent.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:31 pm

dr_spock wrote:Looking for something that is low tack and not permanent.
That's why I'm most interested in vinyl cling, since it's not only no-tack, not permanent, but very reusable.

darbee
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darbee » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
vynsane wrote:
dr_spock wrote:Looking for something that is low tack and not permanent.
That's why I'm most interested in vinyl cling, since it's not only no-tack, not permanent, but very reusable.
Is vinyl cling hard to work with? Where can you get this and can it be printed on using a laser printer?

Anybody try those Avery clear labels to print on for minifigs?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 am

I missed this reply, sorry - I've yet to actually create any of my own stickers, so I don't know for sure. I have to think vinyl cling is pretty easy to work with, it's used almost everywhere. There's even a company (started by a kid!) called BrickStix that sells both vinyl cling and reusable stickers.