[CUUSOO] Firefly Serenity playset

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Alyvin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

[CUUSOO] Firefly Serenity playset

Post by Alyvin » Sun May 06, 2012 10:19 am

Achieved 10 000 votes today!
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/12902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Re: [CUUSOO] Firefly Serenity playset

Post by legitimatealex » Sun May 06, 2012 11:31 am

YES! I'm glad that the more people finding CUUSOO and it becoming common knowledge (thanks to a lot of celebrity appearances on talk shows) that the projects are moving forward faster and faster. Sadly, despite the fact that there is no adult content in this particular build wont matter much to LEGO; the adult nature of the show means this probably wont get worked on, although Joss Whedon would totally love this.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:50 pm

It's a pretty sweet model. It sucks that it's a lot of licensed property models instead of original creations. I think there would be a greater chance of sets getting put through if they don't have to talk through other companies to obtain rights to the idea.

legoeggo
Citizen
Citizen

Post by legoeggo » Sun May 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Yah it's definitely coming from outside fans, and not pure Lego fans. The Question is, will the ppl that vote buy it? I agree, it would be nice to see ideas that are just awesome creations, I guess cuussoo proves why Lego does so many licences in the first place. Personally I never vote on anything unless I will actually buy it.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun May 06, 2012 9:56 pm

legoeggo wrote:Yah it's definitely coming from outside fans, and not pure Lego fans. The Question is, will the ppl that vote buy it? I agree, it would be nice to see ideas that are just awesome creations, I guess cuussoo proves why Lego does so many licences in the first place. Personally I never vote on anything unless I will actually buy it.
I think that's pretty narrow minded though. Shouldn't you view it as a set that other people might buy, or one that could potentially have a market niche?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Mon May 07, 2012 5:52 am

They are liscenced properties, they will not be made

Blackicep8ntball
I'm New !

Post by Blackicep8ntball » Mon May 07, 2012 6:05 am

NIGELTTF wrote:They are liscenced properties, they will not be made
Just like Star Wars and Marvel and Disney and Minecraft - all licensed themes, and not a chance they'll ever become Lego.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Mon May 07, 2012 6:29 am

As nice a set as it is, how many kids out there like Firefly? Kids like Star Wars, kids like Marvel and Disney, etc. It would be cool to own an official LEGO Serenity ship and have the crew lined up in front of it on my Lego shelf, but I'd be really surprised to see this made, even if they could get it licensed from Fox or whoever owns the rights to the show. Cross your fingers.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

ShaydDeGrai
I'm New !

Post by ShaydDeGrai » Mon May 07, 2012 6:55 am

legoeggo wrote:Yah it's definitely coming from outside fans, and not pure Lego fans. The Question is, will the ppl that vote buy it? I agree, it would be nice to see ideas that are just awesome creations, I guess cuussoo proves why Lego does so many licences in the first place. Personally I never vote on anything unless I will actually buy it.
I'm both a fan of Firefly and an avid Lego collector so this one was right up my alley. I'm glad it made it to 10,000 and I was one of the (many) people who put it there; but I agree that a lot of projects racing through CUUSOO have tie-ins to non-Lego communities that experience the on-line equivalent to a flash mob in a mall - lot's of people show up but a few minutes later they all leave without actually buying anything. SOTD, Zelda, Halo, and My Little Pony have all had major vote surges after some tweet or blog mention gets a few thousand fans to go over to CUUSOO, create accounts, cast one vote and never come back. In these cases, 10,000+ votes cannot guarantee 10,000+ sales.

I don't know what could be done to counter the flash-mob effect, maybe if the CUUSOO registration asked if you had a Lego VIP card it could use that data to weight votes, or prorate votes based on site visits. According to the email I hid from my wife, last year I amassed over 8000 VIP points, I also frequent CUUSOO on close to a daily basis - does that mean that when _I_ support a project it's more likely to translate into sales than an anonymous "My Little Pony" fan who's never bought a Lego Kit and logged into CUUSOO exactly once to cast exactly one vote? Probably, but then there are plenty of Lego fans without VIP cards and who's to say that by giving the the flash mob what they want, they won't turn into avid Lego fans at some point in the future. Even if TLG did pro-rate votes for loyal customers or frequent visitors, what should the scalars be? Until some of these kits make it to shelves and they can correlate support history with actual sales, there's just too many unknowns.

As for my own support criteria for projects (as opposed to parts) at CUUSOO, I'll back NOVEL products that I could envision _selling_ in a Lego Store (which usually means something I'd buy either for myself, give as a gift, or use in a classroom), but that usually means I want to see a model, not a vague concept or a new way to package mini-figures for bulk purchase. Kits should be (realistically) marketable for under 400 USD (I like big builds but $1500 for a model that fills one's living room is pushing it...) and have _something_ about them that would make me want to buy it _as a kit_ rather than just break out my existing parts bins and build my own.

doriansdad
Peasant
Peasant

Post by doriansdad » Mon May 07, 2012 7:03 am

Why do folks waste their time with licensed material? I thought Cuusoo was meant to be for original creations? Do people think Nintendo is going to let TLG use their property for free? The only thing close to feasible is that Western Town but even that will have to be just a single building out of the entire town so chances are that will be a no go as well.

Someone come up with a stellar, modular, movie theater with a realistic parts count that puts it in the $150-$200 range and it will be a slam dunk. Stop wasting time using other folks intellectual property.

Eek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Eek » Mon May 07, 2012 9:22 am

I am a leaf on the wind....

Love it. I would buy a Serenity play set. =)

Blackicep8ntball
I'm New !

Post by Blackicep8ntball » Mon May 07, 2012 9:27 am

I think the Zelda theme could fly.

1. Lego sets and the bulk of the Lego fanbase have, for better or worse, become predominantly centered around minifigures. Thus, a theme that achieves its continuity through figures rather than places would fit right in the current Lego marketing scheme. Enter Zelda, a game that achieves its continuity predominantly through recognizable characters, and you have the perfect fit.

2. Zelda makes perfect marketing sense - it has a huge, predominantly nerdy fanbase that Lego could profit on. Pull in the Zelda gamers with Zelda Lego toys and BAM - Lego takes a chunk of the video game cash. Nintendo stands to gain in much the same way - pull in the Lego fans.

3. For those of us who need the enhancements of great locations - the Zelda universe has more than enough to keep us satisfied. Temple of Time. Castle towns and village buildings (homes, wells and stables). Hyrule Castle. Etc.

I'm not sure why a lot of you seem to find this theme so far out there, but it's the most sensible Lego Cuusoo theme I've seen yet.

beethead
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by beethead » Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 am

Zelda would be a great theme except the content is medieval period based which would probably make it unlikely to be made into a series as that would conflict with the Lord of the Rings theme.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Mon May 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Blackicep8ntball wrote:
NIGELTTF wrote:They are liscenced properties, they will not be made
Just like Star Wars and Marvel and Disney and Minecraft - all licensed themes, and not a chance they'll ever become Lego.
The Disney and Star Wars, the volume of sets and generated sales from those set warranted the huge expenditure.

Minecraft...Ok you got a point. Given that it is owned by a tiny company with limited exposure, the negotiated price could be quite low.

But Nitendo and Fox would demand more money, as a way of protecting the value of their franchise, than would what it would be worth in additional (non-cannibal) lego sales. Unless of course Lego were to do a whole series of sets, but Zelda is too close to LOTR, and Firefly? What is Lego's target demographic again? Would Lucasfilm stand for it?

silvashado
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by silvashado » Mon May 07, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm so happy to see Legend of Zelda make it! I'd buy several copies of the set that is made so I could make other sets. :-)

Sad to see Firefly get nixed already, but LEGO has made a stand that no mature content will be produced through CUUSOO so many projects are already doomed.

I saw that the Modular Western town is over 9,000. I sure hope that makes it. LEGO needs to do a new Western theme.

ninjagoyo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ninjagoyo » Mon May 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Serenity is officially dead:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31921491@N ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"we have decided that as cool as the Serenity model is, the Firefly TV show and Serenity film contain content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11. "

BrickWild
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by BrickWild » Tue May 08, 2012 12:57 am

There is still hope that TLG doesn't have the nerve to reject the TLZ theme & BTTF Time Machine.
http://www.lddmodels.jimdo.com
Lego Factory/DesignByMe (Circa 2005 - January 16 2012)
Lego Universe (October 2010 - January 2012)

Blackicep8ntball
I'm New !

Post by Blackicep8ntball » Tue May 08, 2012 7:35 am

ninjagoyo wrote: "we have decided that as cool as the Serenity model is, the Firefly TV show and Serenity film contain content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11. "
Makes you wonder if there's a double standard - Firefly wasn't any rougher than Indy Jones Temple of Doom.

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 am

These two rejections by LEGO (Winchester and now this) have really left a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm an AFOL. How many other fans of the Firefly who might have become fans of LEGO are now bitter over this decision and won't give LEGO a second chance? Probably a few. Each of these rejections is hurting LEGO and Cuusoo.

I also don't understand their logic. This is bad (based off of a TV show and a PG-13 movie), but Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, The Avengers, Batman, Pirates of the Caribbean, Prince of Persia, and Lord of the Rings are all suitable for six year olds? Really? Because those properties have all gotten PG-13 ratings too and I won't let my 6 year old watch them.

I think that's what bothers me the most... the hypocrisy of the whole process. If the license is a huge hit, no problem tarnishing their image to secure it. But when fans try to get them to think outside the box, they go all "think of the children" on us.

If that's the stance they want to take, then I wish they'd work with Hollywood to make sure that properties with toy lines aimed at kids should have no worse than a PG rating. I hate having to be the bad guy telling my kid that he can't go see the latest PG-13 movie, when most of his friends' parents let their kids go, and toy lines like LEGO and Hasbro make toys for these movies.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue May 08, 2012 10:17 am

In reality they can't make every idea that gets 10k votes in CUUSOO.
I think it is fair to reject this idea, I am a fan of the series/movie and agree it is a little too edgy.

I just want someone to come up with an original idea to hit 10k, not a licensed.

In fact, I'd like it if CUUSOO was divided into licensed ideas and original ideas, so I could filter out all the licensed ideas, and focus on the original ones.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!