A tip for cleaning 9v tracks!

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
BrickWild
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

A tip for cleaning 9v tracks!

Post by BrickWild » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:10 am

A Flickr user, called Caleb Randolph disovered a simple, ingenuious solution for cleaning 9v train tracks:
Using toothpaste! ;)
Not only does it clean and polish the rails to "NEW" condition but it also leaves track smelling clean and fresh!
Anyone tried this yet?
http://www.lddmodels.jimdo.com
Lego Factory/DesignByMe (Circa 2005 - January 16 2012)
Lego Universe (October 2010 - January 2012)

Pilotdude
Peasant
Peasant

Re: A tip for cleaning 9v tracks!

Post by Pilotdude » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:49 am

Does he just smear it on and then rub it off or what?
Thanks for reading.
If you happen to like what I said,
you can follow me on twitter @dudepilot

BrickWild
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by BrickWild » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:38 am

Pilotdude wrote:Does he just smear it on and then rub it off or what?
He probably used tissue or cotton bud.

danutsta
Peasant
Peasant

Post by danutsta » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:39 pm

awesome tip, thanks.

nkx1
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by nkx1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:14 am

You can also use Brasso metal polish. $3 at Home Depot. I've used this stuff on many bare metal surfaces with awesome results. But you wont get that minty fresh smell afterwards like with crest!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrickWild
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by BrickWild » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:25 am

nkx1 wrote:You can also use Brasso metal polish. $3 at Home Depot. I've used this stuff on many bare metal surfaces with awesome results. But you wont get that minty fresh smell afterwards like with crest!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They can also be cleaned with Silvo or methylated spirits, which is a great metal cleaner.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:42 am

Pilotdude wrote:Does he just smear it on and then rub it off or what?
from the the text associated with the OP photo in the link below
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46711946@N07/5582832259/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. Apply the toothpaste with a tooth brush to a cloth
2. gently rubs the cloth over the metal parts of the rail until the cloth is black.
3. wipe off the remaining toothpaste from the metal rails with a clean cloth and/or a toothbrush.
4. rinsed metal rails with warm water
5. pat dry the metal rails.

I just bought a 9 volt track system - so I have quite a decent number of 9v track to clean. Hence, my interest. The dirt on the track causes speed- power variation for the 9vdc train motor and makes it harder to control. I have brass-metal polish too. I report back later on the results. My 9vdc train system is part of a 9v conversion project for my Lone Ranger Train (Constitution Train Chase) which currently is being remotely controlled using Power Function train motor system.

crewser
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by crewser » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:27 am

One method I used in my model railroad days was to use a piece of hardboard, also called Masonite to rub un the rails. The oxides on the rails, which acts as an insulator, does not conduct electricity very and the hardboard will gently remove it. Use the rough side of the hardboard at first when the rails are at their worst, and later a quick pass of the smooth side should suffice.

The trouble with some cleaners is that they leave a residue. This residue also is an insulator.

How does the power supply connect to the Lego set rails?

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:11 am

crewser wrote:One method I used in my model railroad days was to use a piece of hardboard, also called Masonite to rub un the rails. The oxides on the rails, which acts as an insulator, does not conduct electricity very and the hardboard will gently remove it. Use the rough side of the hardboard at first when the rails are at their worst, and later a quick pass of the smooth side should suffice.

The trouble with some cleaners is that they leave a residue. This residue also is an insulator.

How does the power supply connect to the Lego set rails?
A wire with a pair of connectors (bricklink# 5306c01) is mechanically attached onto a railroad tie section of a railroad track(bricklink# 2865 /2867) from the side while connecting electrically onto the metal rail of the track. The other end of the contact wire is connected to a variable 9vdc controller (bricklink# 2868b) which is powered by a 9vdc to 120vdc transformer (bricklink# 70931) that plugs into the wall outlet. The electrical power drops as the distance increases from the nearest connectors a bad connection between tracks (e.g. from corroded railroad track contacts) can also lead to a power loss as well. I am still in the testing phase with the 9vdc train motor (bricklink# 590)- so it isn't pull or pushing anything other than itself.

crewser
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by crewser » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:41 am

Neo wrote:A wire with a pair of connectors (bricklink# 5306c01) is mechanically attached onto a railroad tie section of a railroad track(bricklink# 2865 /2867) from the side while connecting electrically onto the metal rail of the track. The other end of the contact wire is connected to a variable 9vdc controller (bricklink# 2868b) which is powered by a 9vdc to 120vdc transformer (bricklink# 70931) that plugs into the wall outlet. The electrical power drops as the distance increases from the nearest connectors a bad connection between tracks (e.g. from corroded railroad track contacts) can also lead to a power loss as well. I am still in the testing phase with the 9vdc train motor (bricklink# 590)- so it isn't pull or pushing anything other than itself.
Extra connectors can be used around the track to overcome the resistance issue. An engine that is self powered, like you are trying to do would be best, as likely the rails would corrode quickly after any cleaning, and continually need maintenance to keep it running. I have never looked at the Lego rails closely, so I doubt they are using nickel silver surfaces, which in the model railroad industry is still the best rail. The oxides on NS rails will still conduct electricity better that other rail metals, and it is slower to oxidize, but they still need cleaning to ensure better performance.