[MOC] Food Truck

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
spacysmoke
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

[MOC] Food Truck

Post by spacysmoke » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am

I consider this is my first MOC as an AFOL (I made some virtual MOCs years ago, but didn't consider myself an AFOL). While waiting in line at one of my favorite food trucks here in Los Angeles, it dawned on me that the food truck would be the perfect choice for my first MOC. As I stared at the food truck in front of me, I started imagining how the details of the truck could be translated into Lego.

For the past 3 weeks, I've been working on this vehicle, solving problems, adding details, and making the build as efficient as possible. My goal was to make it in the style of official sets while adding as much detail as I could. Hence, it is 6-wide and uses the wheels and mudguards seen on most official sets. I was very tempted to go 8-wide since that would have made things a lot easier, but I like a challenge.

Above is the food-serving side of the truck. It has a large panel that can swing upwards to reveal a counter and a serving window. The silver 1x1 round plate is a handle so the door can be lifted easily (without it, it is really difficult to open since the panel is flush with the wall). The 2x4 light bley tile is for the menu. I'll make stickers for it eventually.

This is what I call "the boring side" of the truck. It's not really boring, but it is a bit plain. I tried to add as much detail as I could. There's a fuel tank panel and some vents. I also added that ridge, though I wish I could continue it down the entire length of the truck. The door is one of the things that bugs me the most. Unfortunately Lego doesn't make a door in quite the style seen on these trucks. I was debating whether to have a door at all.

The back of the truck is one of the first things I worked on. Those vents are one of the most distinctive things about a food truck, so I knew that if I couldn't get that to look right, I might as well not do it.

Here's the serving side with the panel open. The display area was inspired by a similar display in the Winter Village Bakery set. There's also hot water and coffee dispensers on the right. Oh, and say "hi" to the chef!

The skylights are another detail that help make a food truck a food truck. This build was inspired by the roof door of the Fire Brigade modular building. Now if only Lego made those glass pieces in trans blue, it'd be perfect! C'mon Lego, make me happy!

You can take off the skylights to access the cooking area of the truck. I tried to make it as easy as possible to remove, but it can be a little difficult.

Here's the best shot I could get of the cooking area. I had to remove a bit of the walls to get a clear shot, but you can see that this truck is equipped with a stove, oven, grill, sink, cabinet, shelf, and a place to hang a frying pan.

"I'll take one brickwurst, please."
"That'll be one hundred bucks."
The counter is a little high, but I think it still works.

Here's a quick height comparison to the bus from the City Public Transport Station set. I think the truck fits in rather well.

That's it! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed my first MOC! Now to think about what I'll do next!

If you've seen this at Eurobricks, yes, this is pretty much the same post. Sorry!
Also at MOC Pages!
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/256346

Vote for this at Lego.CUUSOO!
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/937
Last edited by spacysmoke on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: [MOC] Food Truck

Post by hatcher » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 am

Nice. I think you captured it quite nicely. It clearly is a food truck. Well done.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:44 am

Roach Coach FTW! Very good idea for a CITY MOC.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

akunthita
Citizen
Citizen

Post by akunthita » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 pm

LOVE it! Really nicely built! The food serving area and kitchen are just great! My suggestion on the "plain side" would be some kind of a sticker to give your food truck a name or something. That would make it more interesting. Also, would love to see the menu with a sticker on it! I think it would ad some nice detail! All-in-all great job! ;)
Tips & tricks with LEGO Bricks! http://thebrickblogger.com/

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:35 am

I think it is great, nice work. It reminds me of the series on the Food Network, "The Great Food Truck Race", this truck must have been the winner since it has a trophy! (I think the winner in the show was from LA).

aaronptrck
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by aaronptrck » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Unbelievable! Excellent job on this spacysmoke!!!

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:24 am

Wow, what a great MOC! Great details.

I'd love to make something like this (maybe a Taco Truck) to add to my city stuff... another one to add to the "to do one of these days" list!

Thanks for sharing!
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:30 am

There you go TLC, a playable interesting item that isn't police or fire.

zmom
Peasant
Peasant

Post by zmom » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:55 am

Really enjoyed this - thanks for sharing.

Pilotdude
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Pilotdude » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:32 pm

This would have been a much better set for tlc than the camper van was...
Thanks for reading.
If you happen to like what I said,
you can follow me on twitter @dudepilot

jhuynh
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jhuynh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:32 am

Very Nice! I'm watching Food Network right now, and this reminded me of the show "Eat St." :)

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am

Pilotdude wrote:This would have been a much better set for tlc than the camper van was...
I thought the camper was a nice playable set that wasn't yet another police or fire. However, for TLC to release something like...the time would be now. Food Trucks are a extremely hot commodity in American culture now.

Pilotdude
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Pilotdude » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:59 am

I did not mean to imply that the camper van was not playable, only that this is a much more playable model, and one i would have considered buying while i did not consider the camper.
Thanks for reading.
If you happen to like what I said,
you can follow me on twitter @dudepilot

gator06
Peasant
Peasant

Post by gator06 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:55 pm

Love it!, makes me hungry though, I think I'll try to make one myself if I can scrounge up the bricks....

Smell-o-vision
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Smell-o-vision » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:36 pm

That's a great MOC, dude!

greanie2011
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by greanie2011 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:52 pm

Love the truck, great scale look in comparison to other city sets.
Also great scale for the Minifigs, All around great build!

brickcollectors
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by brickcollectors » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:06 am

Very cool & unique!

spacysmoke
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by spacysmoke » Thu May 22, 2014 9:49 pm

Well, there's been some new parts and new colors of existing parts since the last revision, so I figured it was time to update this model again. Plus, it'll be the first time this was updated since Lego switched from Cuusoo to Ideas. This is the 3rd major revision of this model, so let's get to what's new:
  • Stronger, redesigned, removable roof. The removable roof is now one plate thicker, making it much stronger. I've also added "handles" to make it easy to know where to hold the roof in order to remove it easily.
  • Redesigned snack/display case. The older model used a part that is no longer being produced (1x2x2 panel without side supports). The new display case uses currently-produced Lego parts and is built with interesting SNOT techniques.
  • New wheels. The old wheels have been replaced with the new wheels that have been showing up in late-2013/2014 City sets. These wheels are about a 1/4 stud thinner, and thus, do not stick out from the vehicle body as much as the older wheels did. This allowed me to get rid of the front mudguards, making the food truck more accurate (real world trucks of this type do not have mudguards on the front wheels).
    Other minor changes.
Since I never posted the 2nd revision here, here's what was added in that revision:
  • Side wall swings out for more playability.
  • Full roof is removable instead of just the skylights. Roof above driver is also removable.
  • Redesigned interior.
  • Redesigned front.
You can see photos of the 2nd revision on Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/swafr/set ... 081023629/) or at the Lego Ideas link below.

Here's the link to the Lego Ideas page: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/937
Thank you to everyone who has already supported this project!

C & C welcome!

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Wow this is amazing! This couldn't have been your first! :clap:

Kintar
I'm New !

Post by Kintar » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:46 am

This is great. One little idea I had, but in no way is it meant to sound like I could improve it, is you said you have a "boring side" of the truck. Maybe put a 4x6 or smaller smooth piece with the idea for a sticker on it to advertise the name of your food truck? Of course that would require a custom sticker but maybe it would work.