Assault Frigate [Space, WiP, LDD]

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Assault Frigate [Space, WiP, LDD]

Post by vynsane » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Right now it's just the digital representation of the command deck and partial outer hull of the bridge of an unnamed assault frigate. I'm using the nomenclature of the ships from Homeworld, though it's not anything directly influenced by the game beyond the ship classifications, and I'm using the Star Trek philosophy of bridge layout, with the Captain's Chair centrally located, two forward officer's chairs (in this instance, the Helm and Tactical stations) and a bunch of other officers located around the rear of the bridge (communications, science officer, etc).

This might not go anywhere but in the digital realm, as when all is said and done, a minifig-scale frigate would be pretty massive, on par with any microscale SHIP (Seriously Huge Investment in Parts).

Exterior

Bridge, Front
AF_bridge_front.jpg
I'm envisioning some greebles in the recessed area between the two windscreens and there will probably be some sort of small point-defense turrets on either saucer section above them, to avoid any scenarios such as the A-Wing crashing into the bridge of the Executor in RotJ.

Bridge, Top 3/4
AF_bridge_top_3_quarter.jpg
Bridge, Rear
AF_bridge_rear_isometric.jpg

Interior

Command Deck, Forward
AF_cmd_deck_front.jpg
The idea here was to have some sort of gantry-style deck where the Captain and senior command officers would be able to monitor what was going on one deck below, hence the grated step-up deck and twin forks under the Helm and Tactical stations.

Command Deck, Top 3/4
AF_cmd_deck_top_3_quarter.jpg
Command Deck, Top Rear 3/4
AF_cmd_deck_top_left.jpg

Command Deck, Captain's Chair
AF_cmd_deck_cpt_chair.jpg
Command Deck, Captain's Chair (isolated)
AF_cmd_deck_cpt_chair_isolated.jpg
A clearer shot of how the Captain's Chair is constructed, and how the computer consoles are mounted. The same mounting technique is used on the Helm and Tactical stations, but the chair is smaller (the Captain deserves some level of greater comfort, after all, no?)

Command Deck, Helm
AF_cmd_deck_helm.jpg
Command Deck, Tactical
AF_cmd_deck_tactical.jpg
Comments, criticisms, suggestions and/or gushing praise ( ;) ) welcome!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Re: Assault Frigate [Space, WiP, LDD]

Post by Mantisking » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:43 am

I really like the design on the three forward chairs. Keep up the good work!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Umm, I'm totally ripping off those desk designs. They are just brilliant. I can't wait to see the final product, looks great so far.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks, guys! I started with the idea of using two of those windscreens, then the basic design of the chairs and it went from there. I'm really happy with how the forward stations turned out - although, not being one to leave well enough alone, I updated the chairs with this part as the back - it lines up closer to the side-flares on the bottom (the armrests, I guess), and also flares beyond the top, which integrates more with the hinge for the headrest - overall, I think it looks even better, check out this screenshot for a comparison.
AF_cmd_deck_chair_update.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:18 pm

vynsane wrote:Thanks, guys! I started with the idea of using two of those windscreens, then the basic design of the chairs and it went from there. I'm really happy with how the forward stations turned out - although, not being one to leave well enough alone, I updated the chairs with this part as the back - it lines up closer to the side-flares on the bottom (the armrests, I guess), and also flares beyond the top, which integrates more with the hinge for the headrest - overall, I think it looks even better, check out this screenshot for a comparison.
Have you thought about switching them and using the new piece for the bottom? Because the indentations could look like buttons on the front of the armrest.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:55 pm

I actually tried it, but the offset doesn't work as well for the bottom part. For one thing, the flared part extends beyond where the legs end (the same way it extends beyond the headrest hinge), so I would have to push it back one stud and fill the gap with another 1x2 plate. This is the way the Captain's chair is designed, with another entire fender piece actually - but I didn't want the other chairs to be exactly like his, he needed something a bit more special ;) . The newer piece is also shallower than the original angled fender piece I used, so it needs to be one plate higher, which is the location of bottom hinge that attaches the back, so it messes up the alignment of the back and seat. I'm happy with it as it stands now - although I'll probably change it a dozen more times while I'm working on it!

BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by BlacktronManic » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:17 pm

Vynsane, I definitely like your design. Would really be interested in seeing the final product as well.

The chair designs are just killer, makes me think of Star Trek. Are you designing the chairs to have a swivel bottom?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:45 pm

BlacktronManic wrote:Vynsane, I definitely like your design. Would really be interested in seeing the final product as well.
Thanks, mang. Stay tuned, I'll update this topic as regularly as I can.
The chair designs are just killer, makes me think of Star Trek. Are you designing the chairs to have a swivel bottom?
Yes, they're highly influenced by Star Trek - in fact I was watching the JJ Abrams re-envisioning while doing a lot of the designs on the consoles/stations. The chairs do have swivel bases.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Any thought to the outside of the ship as of yet?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?