[MOC] Pharaoh's Quest "Mecha"-Wrath of the Desert

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

[MOC] Pharaoh's Quest "Mecha"-Wrath of the Desert

Post by BobaFett2 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:45 pm

PQ Mecha
PQ Mecha Head
PQ Mecha Center
PQ Mecha Legs
PQ Mecha Leg
PQ Mecha Foot
PQ Mecha Hand
PQ Mecha Arm
PQ Mecha Sword
PQ Mecha Center Side
PQ Mecha Center Back
When Amset-Ra collects all six treasures, he can become invincible! However, he can alternatively awaken a powerful being, which, while temporarily rendering the six treasures powerless, has immense power and would be much faster for taking over the world! When defeated, the six treasures scatter throughout the desert and it's pilot goes into a deep sleep, to awaken 1000 years later. With one hand, it wields a blade of the desert, with tremendous slashing power! It's other hand is used for grabbing and crushing enemies. The being is covered with hieroglyphs, and was created in the beginning of time by Anubis-Worshiping priests. The Wrath of the Desert can use a fraction of the power of each of the six treasures, and is a deadly force.

Design Notes: I spent an HUGE amount of time on this-about 4 hours. Usually, I spend less than 30 minutes building something. I just had to do it, and I did. The easiest part was the legs, which usually are the hardest part for me. In contrast, the arms, which are usually the easiest to build (for me), were the hardest part. I started with some bad leg ideas, but then I built a center and around it made everything else. The head gave me some trouble, and at first I wanted to use ideas from the sphinx, but I decided upon my own design. It's not my favorite part though. I made about 95% of this from parts from: Scorpion Pyramid (PQ), Ostrich Race (PoP), Cursed Cobra Statue (PQ), Flying Mummy Attack (PQ). I used a few parts from my parts bins, although I believe that some of them were in the parts and I was just too lazy to find them. And I hate my camera. Today, of all days, it's killing my work...

Pharaoh's Quest Desert Racer

The Pharaoh's Quest Desert Racer is a speedy car piloted by Jake Raines in the Explorer's quest for the 6 treasures. His car has a powerful engine and special tires designed for the sand. The vehicle has headlights and special ultra-bright lights in the front for seeing on dark nights. It has a large fuel supply and is great for when they just have to run.

Design Notes: The 7327 is epic. Simply epic. So I made a car from the theme, and it turned out OK. The only part I don't like a ton is the back, but it's mostly good. I really like the engine section. And this was inspired by an Adventurers set from the Egypt subtheme and the Island Racer from 2000-I don't know which, though.

I have three out of 6 (not counting battle pack and merchandise) PQ sets. I love them all. I'm getting the rest the next time I can get to the LEGO store (but the blizzard is keeping me in) with a bunch of gift cards....and later in the year I will have doubles of the smallest set and the cobra (but later, because I want some new sets from just about every theme).
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: [MOC] Pharaoh's Quest "Mecha"-Wrath of the Desert

Post by vynsane » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:51 am

HAHA, I dig it!

The pics look fine enough, they just need a little more light. If you have one of those adjustable desk lamps (the kind with the hinge arm) it might add a bit more light. You can also download the program Paint.NET at www.getPaint.net and use it to increase the brightness artificially, which can help.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:01 am

vynsane wrote:HAHA, I dig it!

The pics look fine enough, they just need a little more light. If you have one of those adjustable desk lamps (the kind with the hinge arm) it might add a bit more light. You can also download the program Paint.NET at http://www.getPaint.net and use it to increase the brightness artificially, which can help.
I use Paint.net to sharpen. I'm never sure how much brightness is good, though.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:18 am

Just played around with one in Photoshop - this looks more true-color. Basically, your camera is viewing all the white and toning down the exposure. You need to white-balance more for the model than for the background. Easier said than done on a P&S camera, much easier on an SLR. Enhancing it in Paint.NET will give you an edge with the exposure. I think I actually increased the brightness to 83% and decreased the contrast to about -33%
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:29 am

Wow, someone really took a line and ran with it! Everything here is spot on and goes so well. You probably could have pitched this one as a real set for LEGO.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:55 am

legitimatealex wrote:Wow, someone really took a line and ran with it! Everything here is spot on and goes so well. You probably could have pitched this one as a real set for LEGO.
Thanks! Took me a while, but I really like it! I also made the story fit into the PQ storyline, in a way.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:40 am

This is cool. Good work. It is a good try in building giant robot with PQ pieces. I sometimes build giant robot with lego bricks but fail in every attempts.

corsair
Citizen
Citizen

Post by corsair » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:46 pm

that is just friggin sweet! great job

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 pm

After taking a second look at the car I definitely think it's better than the one that they had in the set to begin with.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?