Second 2015 LEGO Ideas Review Results

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

Second 2015 LEGO Ideas Review Results

Post by Toys N Bricks » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:45 pm

The results are now in for the second 2015 LEGO Ideas Review. These LEGO Ideas creations reached 10 000 supporters back in May to September of 2015. Congrats to Carl and aBetterMonkey! You can read more about the results here.

Caterham Super Seven by Carl Greatrix

LEGO Adventure Time by aBetterMonkey

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/second-2015-lego ... w-results/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Second 2015 LEGO Ideas Review Results

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:10 am

I'll be getting both sets, even though I don't watch Adventure Time I know lots of people who do, and it would make a great gift. And even though I didn't know what a Caterham Super Seven was before seeing this project, I'll be getting it because it's such a cool looking car.

JaredLB1990
I'm New !

Post by JaredLB1990 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:45 pm

I was kind of bummed when they selected those two sets to be made because I wanted at least one of the others that wasn't selected. Though, it should still be cool to see the two sets they are going to make. :-)

bea
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bea » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:32 pm

I'm not particularly into cars but that models looks nice.

The adventure time, on the other hand, looks like a total mess. Not to mention that after giving that whole speech on how they wanted "original" ideas, it seems hypocritical to select YET ANOTHER licensed set.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:57 pm

bea wrote:I'm not particularly into cars but that models looks nice.

The adventure time, on the other hand, looks like a total mess. Not to mention that after giving that whole speech on how they wanted "original" ideas, it seems hypocritical to select YET ANOTHER licensed set.
I'm excited to see Adventure Time although I really wanted the earlier proposed set with minifigures.

Pro's and Con's of this Adventure Time set:
Con's: No minifigures which means those that collect minifigures will be more likely to pass on the set. With the exception of printed parts there may be no new parts (including minifigures). LEGO really has become very reliant upon the demand of minifigures to fuel sales. I can't complain because I'm far further into the addiction of collecting them than I should be.

Pro's: it encourages creativity in building because it isn't minifigure scale. Printed parts that may be fun to build with and lots of fun colors.

The Adventure Time set is really a great one to buy for young ones as a present (I think) depending upon the price. I will have a hard time passing it up myself because I really like Adventure Time. Again it will depend heavily upon the price (and seeing the final product when its released).

askthelegoguy
Knight
Knight

Post by askthelegoguy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:54 pm

Lego should be ashamed of themselves for the fact that they didn't do the 'Le Petit Prince' set. It would be the first Lego set based on a book, so instead of encouraging kids to watch shows like 'Adventure Time', they'd be encouraged to sit down (away from the television) and read a book. One of the best children's novels ever written for that matter. Le Petit Prince is about childhood and imagination, I'm 100% sure both of those heavily apply to Lego; they advocate that they build on children's imaginations. The car set is completely understandable, but Adventure Time instead of Le Petit Prince is just ludicrous. (Directed straight at Lego): You are and have been for year creating a brand, a toy brand that has become as of now the best you in the world. Children all over the world egarly await birthdays and holidays to potentially recieve a Lego set, whether that be a train, an airplane, and so on. Think about how good it would look if you made a set that word for word stood for your what you say you stand for. There is literally a Lego theme on its own called Lego Education, you're supposed to educate kids. So instead of pushing a mindless tv show on Cartoon Network like Adventure Time, take a few more second and consider setting the path for a child to sit down and read a book (as I said before) and learn something. If someone at Lego reads this please respond. And everyone else please let me know what you think about my thoughts.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:13 am

Some weird stuff is happening with the little prince movie release.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wtf-paramount-ha ... 1764453209

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:22 am

Lego makes sets so it can make money. If their market research tells them that Adventure Time will sell better than the Little Prince, then that is the set they are going to make. Lego the company exists because they want to make money. They don't do it because of some altruistic reason. I'm not slamming them (or anyone else) just reminding everyone why Lego makes sets. Its all about the Benjamins.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

askthelegoguy
Knight
Knight

Post by askthelegoguy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:32 am

Hatchet, that's true, I understand what you're saying. But you do see my point though, right? Plus Adventure Time feels like it would be a very niche market, the same can be said for the Big Bang Theory set, which we saw go on sale.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:54 am

I do see your point. I agree that sets based on books would be great.

There are other reasons why sets don't get picked. The copyright holders may have said no or asked for more than Lego was willing to pay. They might have had to make new molds that would have driven the price up. I'm sure there are others. Asking Lego why a set didn't get picked has always resulted in a deafening silence, so we'll never know for sure.

At the end of the day, no one know how well a set or theme will do. Not even Lego. Remember Galidor? Big Bang Theory was probably priced too high, which is why its on sale now. I don't know.

Reading the blog over at Lego Ideas just now, the majority of comments about Adventure Time are positive (at least the ones I read.) so I guess we'll have to see the final product. Time will tell.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

askthelegoguy
Knight
Knight

Post by askthelegoguy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Hatchet, you seem like a pretty cool reasonable guy, you wanna subscribe to my YouTube channel, and I subscribe to yours in exchange?

larsnelson76
Peasant
Peasant

Post by larsnelson76 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:22 am

I really liked lego physics, because it was so different, but it did not need all the dominoes. Just the marble part may have passed. It would have been great like the marble maze is great. I know I would have bought a 2nd for the parts.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:20 am

Adventure time was one of the fastest projects to ever achieve the 10k goal (the fastest I have noticed by far...having checked the site at least a couple times per week since Cuusoo originated). It didn't come anywhere close to needing any "extra" time...or having a lull in its support, or needing a final push. It was very quick to 10k.

It's not a theme I know anything about but the people stating that they don't know why it got approved, or thinking it isn't that popular, are greatly underestimating its popularity.

As far as the le petite prince, I had at least heard of adventure time. Is that a french thing? I know being a 40 year old male doesn't make me the target demographic but... I guess it is a kids book? Not knowing much about either theme, the prince model looked pretty bland and boring in comparison to the adventure time figures. Also, if there is a movie coming out like someone mentioned then I'm sure the license is already owned and probably costly to acquire because of the movie.

askthelegoguy
Knight
Knight

Post by askthelegoguy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:55 pm

I don't know, they should give a better reason when they don't accept a set. The Jurassic World/Park sets literally hit 10,000 in a couple weeks and they denied all of them without blinking. And unfortunately Le Petit Prince won't enter the public domain until 2073 so as you said it is liscenced to the movie studio who is putting out the new movie. Fine, I will admit that Le Petit Prince may not be a cup of tea for the run of the mill child, but at least give a reason for each set not being accepted. Instead of spending less than five minutes on a video announcing the winners spend ten minutes and give a reason for each. Even if they don't want to make just a long video they could have the regular length video for those of us who'd like them to get straight to the point and then a longer version for those who'd want to hear the real reason they weren't accepted.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:36 pm

askthelegoguy wrote:I don't know, they should give a better reason when they don't accept a set. The Jurassic World/Park sets literally hit 10,000 in a couple weeks and they denied all of them without blinking. And unfortunately Le Petit Prince won't enter the public domain until 2073 so as you said it is liscenced to the movie studio who is putting out the new movie. Fine, I will admit that Le Petit Prince may not be a cup of tea for the run of the mill child, but at least give a reason for each set not being accepted. Instead of spending less than five minutes on a video announcing the winners spend ten minutes and give a reason for each. Even if they don't want to make just a long video they could have the regular length video for those of us who'd like them to get straight to the point and then a longer version for those who'd want to hear the real reason they weren't accepted.
hmm I remember the Jurassic world sets taking a long while to reach the goal...at least the one with the Jeep, not that it matters. I think its pretty obvious why they wouldn't share details about their market research with the public.

I do feel like what Ideas has grown into has gotten to be pretty ridiculous at this point. It started out as a wonderful idea (no pun intended) but has turned into a mess unfortunately. I won't get into specifics here. There are plenty of forums and articles that have been discussing it. Issues that seemed minor at first have turned major. It is what it is I guess. I don't expect the revamp to happen that would be required to solve most of the problems.

Just accept it for what it is and appreciate that we get a couple extra sets because of it.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Some times LEGO do drop some hints why projects with 10K votes don't pass Review:

From LEGO Ideas BLOG of 2015 first review:

While we don't share specific reasons why an individual project did not pass, there are a number of reasons why projects don't make it through the review process. For example:

-Perhaps we can’t come to an agreement with the companies who own the Intellectual Property rights to the models or characters involved, or it is possible companies are just not interested in having a LEGO version of their product.
-Other projects sometimes come too close to a number of the products that the LEGO Group already has today or has plans for the near future.
-Some projects can challenge the rules we have on safe and good building experience for all LEGO builders. We can also have difficulties simply producing some of the larger projects with the production capacity we have for LEGO Ideas.

You can always write to LEGO Customer Service and/or CEO of LEGO your disappointment.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:55 pm

lego the hutt wrote:Adventure time was one of the fastest projects to ever achieve the 10k goal (the fastest I have noticed by far...having checked the site at least a couple times per week since Cuusoo originated). It didn't come anywhere close to needing any "extra" time...or having a lull in its support, or needing a final push. It was very quick to 10k.

It's not a theme I know anything about but the people stating that they don't know why it got approved, or thinking it isn't that popular, are greatly underestimating its popularity.

As far as the le petite prince, I had at least heard of adventure time. Is that a french thing? I know being a 40 year old male doesn't make me the target demographic but... I guess it is a kids book? Not knowing much about either theme, the prince model looked pretty bland and boring in comparison to the adventure time figures. Also, if there is a movie coming out like someone mentioned then I'm sure the license is already owned and probably costly to acquire because of the movie.
Without hurting anyone's feelings... I'm in my 30's love kids books and reading in general and know very little about The Little Prince. I know of it.. and that its a classic that I should check out but I haven't. Even though I don't have cable TV I have watched lots of Adventure Time both with and without my son. Is it my favorite animated show? Definitely not but I do really enjoy it. Point is Adventure Time has a HUGE following. The Little Prince is a classic book and also have a big or huge following BUT being a book and not a TV show its is not as well known as Adventure Time. I think. I could be wrong. As other pointed out it could have been bc of licensing or some other reason... but it could very well because Adventure Time may have a larger following.

In regards to explanations for why sets aren't picked... LEGO doesn't owe us that. We have nothing but hope invested in proposed sets. If I were the person who proposed the set I would want explanations. I'm guessing the LEGO group does communicate with them more so than the general public but this is just my guess. I have no idea.

As someone else pointed out I'm just happy we get sets that otherwise would have never been created. Then again I may be biased having actually gotten a Doctor Who set (which is something that I never would have thought possible at one point).

Happy building all. I hope I didn't offend someone and now I feel even more than ever that I need to check out the Little Prince.

askthelegoguy
Knight
Knight

Post by askthelegoguy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:00 pm

lego the hutt wrote:
askthelegoguy wrote:I don't know, they should give a better reason when they don't accept a set. The Jurassic World/Park sets literally hit 10,000 in a couple weeks and they denied all of them without blinking. And unfortunately Le Petit Prince won't enter the public domain until 2073 so as you said it is liscenced to the movie studio who is putting out the new movie. Fine, I will admit that Le Petit Prince may not be a cup of tea for the run of the mill child, but at least give a reason for each set not being accepted. Instead of spending less than five minutes on a video announcing the winners spend ten minutes and give a reason for each. Even if they don't want to make just a long video they could have the regular length video for those of us who'd like them to get straight to the point and then a longer version for those who'd want to hear the real reason they weren't accepted.
hmm I remember the Jurassic world sets taking a long while to reach the goal...at least the one with the Jeep, not that it matters. I think its pretty obvious why they wouldn't share details about their market research with the public.

I do feel like what Ideas has grown into has gotten to be pretty ridiculous at this point. It started out as a wonderful idea (no pun intended) but has turned into a mess unfortunately. I won't get into specifics here. There are plenty of forums and articles that have been discussing it. Issues that seemed minor at first have turned major. It is what it is I guess. I don't expect the revamp to happen that would be required to solve most of the problems.

Just accept it for what it is and appreciate that we get a couple extra sets because of it.
The Indominous Rex hit 10,000 pretty fast, but the car may have not. When the main set with the gate, T-Rex, and the car was re-listed, it reached 10,000 really really fast.