Lego Transformer help / generic rail system

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Tassadar
I'm New !

Lego Transformer help / generic rail system

Post by Tassadar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Hello ToysNBricks! For my first post here, I'd really appreciate some help with building my first MOC. What I'm trying to build is a roughly Leader-class size Transformer out of LEGO. I've got the basic framework out, but I've been having a huge amount of difficulty finding not only a rail system that can both move and run along the side of the MOC, but also difficulty designing the feet due to the way it works. The Transformer that gave me the most inspiration for this MOC was the Combiner Wars Leader Class Megatron

Video of the Megatron
V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpQEXW4_S8k

I'll be posting an imgur album of what I've built so far tomorrow. I would just upload a LDD build but since LDD is lacking a bunch of crucial pieces (mainly 48169 and 48171 for example) I can't really do that.

StClair
Count
Count

Re: Lego Transformer help / generic rail system

Post by StClair » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi! Welcome to Toys N Bricks! I saw the video that you posted (of the transformer that you are wanting to build a moc of). It would help if you posted pics of your progress so far. It could be that you are still in the planning stages and haven't started building.

Everyone approaches building differently I suppose. I find that its best to gather parts that may be useful (different elements that may or may not work). I then build several "drafts". It helps me to just start putting parts together and then trying to assemble them in different ways. Don't worry about colors matching at this point. I like to build several different "solutions" of the same thing. It may not be the entire build. In your case you are trying to create a lego transformer. I would probably make several different versions of the head. You may also want to attempt building joints (arms and legs) in different ways (using different elements AND maybe even at different scales) to see what works best for you.

I've learned a lot about building by simply building different LEGO official sets. As I buy sets and build with them I learn new ways to create things and get new ideas. I also watch lots of reviews about sets so even if I don't own the set its fun to see how LEGO designers used parts in new ways. A favorite video reviewer is jangbricks (find him on youtube). He does a good job of not only showing the minifigures but pointing out how things are built and assembled. I also really like a fairly new site called New Elementary. Here's a link http://www.newelementary.com/ They do a really good job of pointing out new elements in new sets. Sometimes it new colors sometimes its a completely new part.

I only own a few issues of a magazine called brickjournal. One particular issue focused on mechs. Here's a link to a pdf file that only has some of the pages of this particular issue http://www.twomorrows.com/media/BrickJo ... review.pdf Not only can you see in the photo's how they created different types of mechs (heads and joints) but you can also google the creators that made them. This will lead you to more of their creations.

If you don't have a flickr account I recommend that you start one. Lots of LEGO builders share their creations and ideas via flickr. I save/like (whatever) creations that interest me so that I can refer back to them for ideas.

Also if you see an official LEGO set that creates something in a way that may interest you you can download lots of instructions from LEGO.com. It may help to review some of their previous robot or mech builds over the years.

I hope that has helped somewhat. :-D

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:29 pm

In the issue of brickjournal that i mentioned earlier one creator advises that one should always start with the head first. Build the head at a scale that you like and then move onto the body. Let the scale of the head determine the scale of the body and types of joints used. I love LEGO mechs but haven't had time to really build much in the last few years with my job and working on my masters. Maybe someday.

Tassadar
I'm New !

Post by Tassadar » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Here's some pictures of everything I've built so far for it. Honestly I just used mostly what I had around in my old bins since I don't have many bricks. The only parts I've ordered online have been those large black plates and more of the ratcheting joints.

http://imgur.com/a/kKbJD

The reason for the double hinge in the waist is so that the legs can fold up along the back and fill in the folded up wing section, forming the turret of the tank using the legs and his detachable rifle which I'll build once I have money to order more from Bricklink. That section off to the side is actually the hand for him, which forms the sweepers on the front of the tank.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:15 pm

I'll try to keep an eye on your progress when I can. I took a few minutes to check my flickr "favorites" to find someone that I follow that builds interesting mechs. Check out the work of this builder on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/127404146@N02/

He uses a variety of types of joints

Tassadar
I'm New !

Post by Tassadar » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Thank you. Honestly looking at that gallery helped me out with one of my biggest obstacles, designing the feet x.x

Tassadar
I'm New !

Post by Tassadar » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:02 am

Update time! Finally got ahold of a couple of 42020's and with them I was able to build the rail system for the shoulders.

http://imgur.com/a/B95XK

Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to shrink down the rail system overall without compromising the stability of it, as well as replacing the 3/4 pins with 1/2 pins once I get some 1/2 pins.