[POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Code of Conduct, Privacy Policy, Announcements. Got a suggestion to our site? Let us hear it!
Post Reply

Should we keep the LEGO Sales & Deals Forum exclusive to only members?

Yes
59
83%
No
12
17%
 
Total votes: 71

Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:02 am

[POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by Toys N Bricks » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:06 pm

Featured Poll: December 6-12

This week's question is releated to our LEGO Sales & Deals Forums. Should we continue to keep the LEGO Sales & Deals Forum exclusive to only forum members? Or should we open it up so that everyone including guests can view it? As usual, comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Should we keep the LEGO Sales & Deals Forum exclusive to members?
You may select 1 of the following 5 options
  • Yes
  • No
Thanks for the vote!

*You must be a registered forum member in order to vote. Registration is free & fast.
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

User avatar
vynsane
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by vynsane » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:37 am

Yes, it should be only available to forum members - there's no better way to convert casual browsers/google search hits into potential contributors.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

User avatar
ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 2295
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 am
Location: SE MI USA

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:51 am

Since it is free and easy to join, no reason to take away the members only exclusives. :ugeek:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

User avatar
Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor
Posts: 2220
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Natick, MA, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by Mantisking » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:53 am

vynsane wrote:Yes, it should be only available to forum members - there's no better way to convert casual browsers/google search hits into potential contributors.
ncbarrett wrote:Since it is free and easy to join, no reason to take away the members only exclusives. :ugeek:
I agree with both of you.

User avatar
hardtravelinghero
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:17 pm
Location: Long Island, NY and various locations
Contact:

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by hardtravelinghero » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:45 am

If you're going to keep Sales and Deals a members thing, make the navigation of the boards easier.

One thing with most of the main news items is the links to us to the general forums, but never the exact thread (topic) that we want. There are way too many threads (topics) for me to always find the right sale or deal that was mentioned on the home page, and I think I've been a member of TnB since July and I've posted frequently, so it's not like I'm internet navigation illiterate.

I teach college online and if I organized the course discussion board in such a way, many of my students would get lost and drop the course.

Please, if a moderator/reporter posts something, have a link to the exact thread.

User avatar
legitimatealex
Count
Count
Posts: 1636
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:54 am

vynsane wrote:Yes, it should be only available to forum members - there's no better way to convert casual browsers/google search hits into potential contributors.
This is correct. Most of the new people who post seem to have the same back story of 'I was just here for the sales and deals, but then I saw this thread and I really wanted to share my thoughts.'

I second hardtravelinghero's comment though to make the front page link to the exact thread, although I think that this might be hard to do considering if you need to see something in the members only sales and deals section you need to be logged in already.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

User avatar
ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 am
Location: Mississauga, Ont.

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by ImmortalShark » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:59 am

legitimatealex wrote:I second hardtravelinghero's comment though to make the front page link to the exact thread, although I think that this might be hard to do considering if you need to see something in the members only sales and deals section you need to be logged in already.
That's not difficult. A lot of sites will send you to the login screen and then redirect you to the page you tried to visit after logging in. This is a php base site so it's as simple as declaring a variable to hold the last page visited and then go back to that page after a successful login.

User avatar
Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor
Posts: 2220
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Natick, MA, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by Mantisking » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:21 am

hardtravelinghero wrote:If you're going to keep Sales and Deals a members thing, make the navigation of the boards easier.

One thing with most of the main news items is the links to us to the general forums, but never the exact thread (topic) that we want. There are way too many threads (topics) for me to always find the right sale or deal that was mentioned on the home page, and I think I've been a member of TnB since July and I've posted frequently, so it's not like I'm internet navigation illiterate.
I don't bother with the front page. I just read the forums.

User avatar
hardtravelinghero
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:17 pm
Location: Long Island, NY and various locations
Contact:

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by hardtravelinghero » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:49 am

Mantisking wrote:
hardtravelinghero wrote:If you're going to keep Sales and Deals a members thing, make the navigation of the boards easier.

One thing with most of the main news items is the links to us to the general forums, but never the exact thread (topic) that we want. There are way too many threads (topics) for me to always find the right sale or deal that was mentioned on the home page, and I think I've been a member of TnB since July and I've posted frequently, so it's not like I'm internet navigation illiterate.
I don't bother with the front page. I just read the forums.
I use Google Reader to follow the site. I don't know how anyone can actually keep track of anything without a Reader or a MyHomePage thing that Google, Yahoo! and others offer. There's simply too much. Plus, I'm not interested in all of the forums. I could not care less what others buy if all they are doing is informing us of their purchases without and critical information or commentary, such is if it was on sale or clearance, and where, etc.

User avatar
hardtravelinghero
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:17 pm
Location: Long Island, NY and various locations
Contact:

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by hardtravelinghero » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:27 am

ImmortalShark wrote:
legitimatealex wrote:I second hardtravelinghero's comment though to make the front page link to the exact thread, although I think that this might be hard to do considering if you need to see something in the members only sales and deals section you need to be logged in already.
That's not difficult. A lot of sites will send you to the login screen and then redirect you to the page you tried to visit after logging in. This is a php base site so it's as simple as declaring a variable to hold the last page visited and then go back to that page after a successful login.
To some degree, you're speaking in another language. php? Yeah. I mean, no.

My problem goes like this:

The main page says:

SALE AT AMAZON, BOGO 50% Off! Click HERE to join the discussion.

I click THERE, whether I'm already logged in or not, and I'm brought to...

HERE index.php

I'm not dumb, I know to then click on SALES and DEALS, but then I get lost.

So then I have to attempt to figure out if this is a new Topic or an update on a new Topic, by scrolling or CTR-F and "Amazon" in hopes of finding more information about this current sale or deal.

By the way, Brickset has an update on Amazon's current BOGO.

User avatar
vynsane
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by vynsane » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:35 am

ImmortalShark wrote:That's not difficult. A lot of sites will send you to the login screen and then redirect you to the page you tried to visit after logging in. This is a php base site so it's as simple as declaring a variable to hold the last page visited and then go back to that page after a successful login.
The forum software already does this when you try to access a section that is login-protected.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Ice
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2284
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by Ice » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:53 pm

hardtravelinghero wrote: My problem goes like this:

The main page says:

SALE AT AMAZON, BOGO 50% Off! Click HERE to join the discussion.

I click THERE, whether I'm already logged in or not, and I'm brought to...

HERE index.php

I'm not dumb, I know to then click on SALES and DEALS, but then I get lost.

So then I have to attempt to figure out if this is a new Topic or an update on a new Topic, by scrolling or CTR-F and "Amazon" in hopes of finding more information about this current sale or deal.
You are correct.

For all LEGO Sales & Deals ("Share your LEGO finds in our Forums") articles, it redirects to the main page for the forum. All other news articles ("Click here to join this discussion" or "Click here for the LEGO Review") will redirect to the topic.
vynsane wrote:
ImmortalShark wrote:That's not difficult. A lot of sites will send you to the login screen and then redirect you to the page you tried to visit after logging in. This is a php base site so it's as simple as declaring a variable to hold the last page visited and then go back to that page after a successful login.
The forum software already does this when you try to access a section that is login-protected.
You guys are also correct.

The purpose why I made the Sales & Deals link to the main page for the forum is to make visitors have a look at our forum and to find out about the Sales & Deals forum themselves. (rather than direct them to a "log in" screen rightaway) I do understand the inconvenience for our members though.

But if you guys find this inconvenient and very hard to find the topics, then by all means, let me know and I'll change it in the future.

User avatar
hardtravelinghero
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:17 pm
Location: Long Island, NY and various locations
Contact:

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by hardtravelinghero » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:00 pm

Ice wrote:
hardtravelinghero wrote: My problem goes like this:

The main page says:

SALE AT AMAZON, BOGO 50% Off! Click HERE to join the discussion.

I click THERE, whether I'm already logged in or not, and I'm brought to...

HERE index.php

I'm not dumb, I know to then click on SALES and DEALS, but then I get lost.

So then I have to attempt to figure out if this is a new Topic or an update on a new Topic, by scrolling or CTR-F and "Amazon" in hopes of finding more information about this current sale or deal.
You are correct.

For all LEGO Sales & Deals ("Share your LEGO finds in our Forums") articles, it redirects to the main page for the forum. All other news articles ("Click here to join this discussion" or "Click here for the LEGO Review") will redirect to the topic.
vynsane wrote:
ImmortalShark wrote:That's not difficult. A lot of sites will send you to the login screen and then redirect you to the page you tried to visit after logging in. This is a php base site so it's as simple as declaring a variable to hold the last page visited and then go back to that page after a successful login.
The forum software already does this when you try to access a section that is login-protected.
You guys are also correct.

The purpose why I made the Sales & Deals link to the main page for the forum is to make visitors have a look at our forum and to find out about the Sales & Deals forum themselves. (rather than direct them to a "log in" screen rightaway) I do understand the inconvenience for our members though.

But if you guys find this inconvenient and very hard to find the topics, then by all means, let me know and I'll change it in the future.
I see your point about wanting to get new people to explore the site. The Sales and Deals is what brought me here. I don't even remember which if the other Lego sites made me aware of your existence, but I'm glad they did.

But what can be done to make it easier for oldies (and newbies) to find exactly what they're looking for? Can we, if not link directly to the specific Topic to which the news post refers, at least mention it by its specific name, word-for-word?

User avatar
anakinisvader
Knight
Knight
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:06 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by anakinisvader » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Do you need to be a member to vote? Is there a poll about letting only members vote on whether or not only members are allowed to vote in the polls? ;)
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

User avatar
possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:47 pm
Location: Charlotte NC
Contact:

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by possum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:32 pm

HTH, are you familiar with the unread post icon? While in a specific forum the icons to the left of the topic title are the key. There's a legend at the bottom of each forum page explaining what each means. What I do is make this site one that I visit maybe 2-3 times a week at minimum. When I log in (which is done automatically when I navigate to TnB), the colored icons next to the forums as well as the threads tell me what's new since my last visit. I've yet to see the new posts list exceed one page of threads. Combine that with the way they want us to title the thread with country, store, deal, etc and it's really pretty simple to find what you're looking for. The only way they could make it easier is if they emailed each pertinent deal to the appropriate person (which is ridiculous).
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

User avatar
hardtravelinghero
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:17 pm
Location: Long Island, NY and various locations
Contact:

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by hardtravelinghero » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:22 pm

possum wrote:HTH, are you familiar with the unread post icon? While in a specific forum the icons to the left of the topic title are the key. There's a legend at the bottom of each forum page explaining what each means. What I do is make this site one that I visit maybe 2-3 times a week at minimum. When I log in (which is done automatically when I navigate to TnB), the colored icons next to the forums as well as the threads tell me what's new since my last visit. I've yet to see the new posts list exceed one page of threads. Combine that with the way they want us to title the thread with country, store, deal, etc and it's really pretty simple to find what you're looking for. The only way they could make it easier is if they emailed each pertinent deal to the appropriate person (which is ridiculous).
I am, Possum, but again, there are plenty of Topics I am not interested in and the issue is finding the specific Topic in whatever forum there is some news item about. Sometimes the Forum Search is useful, sometimes it's too broad.

Right now I'm in the Sales and Deals Forum, is there some way to set it to view what's new here since I last logged in? I've searched and I'm not seeing such a thing.

What would be great, is if it's an online deal that there be a link directly to it (yes, I know TnB wants people to wander the forums), like for the Lego Atlantis Portal on Amazon for $69.99. While this one was easy to search for on Amazon as I've looked at it a dozen times fighting the urge not to spend money I don't have, I don't know if other reported deals come and go within minutes or hours, since when I check Amazon, I rarely see these discounts that get posted on the news pages.

I see, after about 36 hours up there, the Atlantis Portal is now $84.99.

GuaranteedUnity
Knight
Knight
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:26 pm
Location: Maine, USA

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by GuaranteedUnity » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:12 pm

hardtravelinghero wrote:Right now I'm in the Sales and Deals Forum, is there some way to set it to view what's new here since I last logged in? I've searched and I'm not seeing such a thing.
You can use the below link to search for unread posts in Sales & Deals.
Perhaps it's worth bookmarking? :D

search.php?search_id=unreadposts&fid%5B%5D=6

Ice
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2284
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by Ice » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:33 pm

All new sales articles will now have a direct link to the actual topic. You can find the direct link next to "Share your LEGO Finds in our Forums" at the bottom of each sales article. Hopefully, this will make it easier for everyone to find what they're looking for.

User avatar
legitimatealex
Count
Count
Posts: 1636
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Ice wrote:All new sales articles will now have a direct link to the actual topic. You can find the direct link next to "Share your LEGO Finds in our Forums" at the bottom of each sales article. Hopefully, this will make it easier for everyone to find what they're looking for.
It's already helping :D
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

User avatar
hardtravelinghero
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:17 pm
Location: Long Island, NY and various locations
Contact:

Re: [POLL] LEGO Sales & Deals Forum - Member Exclusive?

Post by hardtravelinghero » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:49 am

legitimatealex wrote:
Ice wrote:All new sales articles will now have a direct link to the actual topic. You can find the direct link next to "Share your LEGO Finds in our Forums" at the bottom of each sales article. Hopefully, this will make it easier for everyone to find what they're looking for.
It's already helping :D
I concur. Thanks for making the change to better TnB.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests