Stopping by for resaerch

Welcome to Toys N Bricks. Be sure to introduce yourself here!
Drac
I'm New !

Stopping by for resaerch

Post by Drac » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Hello all,

I have a father-in-law and a nephew that are Lego builders. Father-in-law prefers the architect ones and the nephew any.

I am doing research for putting together a travel kit for my father-in-law. Each year they rent a condo down south for a month and he commented on wanting some smaller kits to take with him. I was thinking about putting together a travel case of pieces that he could take with him to use for building stuff in a couple books -

The Big Unofficial Lego Builder's Book: Build Your Own City
The LEGO Build-It Book, Vol. 1: Amazing Vehicles
The LEGO Adventure Book, Vol. 1: Cars, Castles, Dinosaurs & More!

And such. That way he isn't limited to carrying a dozen individual kits or rebuilding the same one over and over.

Jim

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: Stopping by for resaerch

Post by atmail35 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm

This is very nice of you!

You might get more foot traffic in General Discussions....let me know if you want to move it.

The Architecture sets look very different to the other sets like City and Creator. Usually the colors are light tan (I do not know the official color names), gray or white. If you think he would enjoy creating his own artitecture buildings, you might want to find a way to buy in bulk the artitecture type colors.

Do you live near a LEGO Store? You can buy a case of bricks for $70 (the ones n the pick-a-brick wall, so it would be all the same brick). It's not advertised, but I've seen people do it, just ask the sales associate. You should also get some baseplates. If you can find actual Artitecture sets on sale, that is another way to get more bricks.

Does your father-in-law drive to his destination? You should consider if he is okay with breaking down the creations for tranport back or or if you should include a plastic bin for transporting back.

If you just want generic colored bricks, you can buy sets that are just bricks http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Creative-Bucket-10662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Deluxe-Brick-Box-5508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You can also usually get more doors and windows at the PAB wall.

Good luck!