Hello from Kearny, NJ

Welcome to Toys N Bricks. Be sure to introduce yourself here!
lordharrier
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Hello from Kearny, NJ

Post by lordharrier » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:37 am

Hello All!

So I'm told I should do an intro and well here it goes.. It's a long one, so sit down and grab a coffee. I've always admired Lego products from afar but my parents could never afford them so instead I got to enjoy GIJOE! In the 80's I had em all..matter of fact I still have the 8ft long aircraft carrier that I will probably be listing on ebay soon. Anyways.. over the years I amassed quite a toy collection.. Diecast cars, Robotech fighters, Zoids, Gundams...the list goes on (I guess I wanted to relive my childhood..). I never got the legos because I always felt they were too expensive and too plain for me. I started a family and the toys were put to the side. What's funny is that I did get some lego star wars sets for birthdays as an adult and such but never assembled them. My teenage daughter ended up assembling them for me, funny enough she doesn't really like my toys but she likes assembling the lego sets that I had.. she never really expressed interest in getting more so I left it at that (Those sets were the XWing, Jabba's palace and the Cantina.. not sure of set #). Phew.. long intro huh? I'm getting to a point no worries!

OK another short side track. I recently got into wargaming .. Warhammer 40K, Warmachine, Infinity etc. I knew this hobby would get expensive and my Wife would object severely. I decided to unload my excess toys on Ebay. Last time I made thousands selling my Magic the Gathering collection so I figured I might make a few hundred selling my Gundam master grade unassembled models and unassembled Zoids.. well I've made a couple thousand so far and it continues. GUILT-FREE money to spend on my hobbies again. Ok moving on.

I was walking through the Kmart toy aisle with my 4 yr old daughter a few months ago, having to follow her around while she looked at Barbies when LO AND BEHOLD we pass the clearance aisle and I see a Halo Mega Bloks Falcon on 50% clearance. It had one sticker for 44$ and another for 34$. "WOW this looks cool" and so I picked one up and it rang up for 17$!! What? only 17$ for that many bricks!?

This part of the story would continue but I don't want to offend any Lego purists.. needless to say I've got a bunch of Halo Mega Bloks which I will probably be selling because I've migrated to Lego now. I've cleared out a nice big space and am starting a Lego city. I've gotten about 8 sets of Lego Friends for my 4 year old and getting Lego City sets for my teenage daughter and myself.. Garbage trucks, Cargo Train, Public Transport.. we are currently finishing the Pet Shop. To my surprise, my 4 year old doesn't pay much attention to the "girlie" Friends sets and would rather play with the Cargo Train. The other day she tells me she wants the Batcave! (she plays the lego games on the DS and Xbox) .. Well I can continue rambling on but I won't.

I am LordHarrier, and I am a Lego Addict!

ps: the Batcave just arrived from Amazon....lol

danutsta
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Hello from Kearny, NJ

Post by danutsta » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:10 am

i'm still new myself but welcome.

ti_jay007
Citizen
Citizen

Post by ti_jay007 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Welcome friend!

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Awesome intro and welcome!
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Welcome to Toys N Bricks, great story.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:22 am

Welcome! Enjoyed the story.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Welcome, thanks for the intro story!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:42 am

lordharrier wrote:Hello All!
Hello!
lordharrier wrote:OK another short side track. I recently got into wargaming .. Warhammer 40K, Warmachine, Infinity etc. I knew this hobby would get expensive and my Wife would object severely. I decided to unload my excess toys on Ebay. Last time I made thousands selling my Magic the Gathering collection so I figured I might make a few hundred selling my Gundam master grade unassembled models and unassembled Zoids.. well I've made a couple thousand so far and it continues. GUILT-FREE money to spend on my hobbies again. Ok moving on.
If you're a new wargamer, have you heard of Mobile Frame Zero yet?

lordharrier
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by lordharrier » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:39 am

Mantisking: That kickstarter and stuff that I saw specifically by you are what first got me into bricklinking Lego!! So yes. Im still waiting for my book, I know there's a pdf but I want the book.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:59 am

lordharrier wrote:Mantisking: That kickstarter and stuff that I saw specifically by you are what first got me into bricklinking Lego!! So yes. Im still waiting for my book, I know there's a pdf but I want the book.
Do you post on the MF Hangar?

lordharrier
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by lordharrier » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Not yet, not until I have something meaningful. Honestly I've only made a Scrambler so far.