Once upon a time I had a lot of Lego

Welcome to Toys N Bricks. Be sure to introduce yourself here!
AshleyAshes
Peasant
Peasant

Once upon a time I had a lot of Lego

Post by AshleyAshes » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Let me tell you the tale of how I went from having so many lego sets to having only four. So many sets as a kid, I can't possibly remember them all, Launch & Load Seaport, Flame Fighters, Police Patrol, Space Shuttle (1990 one) just to name the 'larger' sets and countless smaller sets that I could spend a whole day trying to remember and list. As I became a teenager, my interest weigned and then my cat mistook the lego box for the litter box... With all of my teenaged brilliance I used about every cleaning product under the kitchen sink, mixed it into the lego box and let it sit for a week, before rinsing it out, thinking this would clean them. Did an awesome job at seriously weakening the plastic and that was the end of that. I was a teenager however, my old kids stuff seemed boring so it wasn't a big deal to me.

Now I'm a grown up and everything I loved as a child but thought was boring as a teenager is awesome agian. Also by being a grown up, I don't really have anything I 'want' for Birthdays or Christmas, I buy the stuff I need because I need it and I buy the stuff I want because I want it. So someone once asked me what I wanted for Christmas last year 'Lego I guess, that'd be cool'. I grinned like an idiot and flashed back 20 years as I shook that paper wrapped box and heard the familular sound of Lego.

Since then I've started getting a few more sets, I got Lego City Corner for a whopping $18 and decided then 'Time for a new, old, hobby.' Hell, I'm a film student, compared to television and film supplies, Lego is a MUCH cheaper hobby.

I got the Power Functions Passenger Train on Friday and I guess that's the 'center piece' I'll work around for now. I don't get why I never got a train as a kid, I loved trains and I loved Lego, why not ask for Lego Trains? Well, I have them now. Next up, I'm getting the Level Crossing to flesh out the train collection and, er, something else that's on sale, something that catches my eye.

Pick A Brick seems pretty cool, even if the parts are limited in some areas (Really, ONLY red car doors? I had those in five different colors as a kid!) I'd like to know if there are resources of instructions built around pick a brick so I could build additional train cars that use only parts available from Pick A Brick.

From my old Lego, I should see if any parts are salvagable. While the 'main box' was trashed, there were two other boxes, the 'Giant pieces' box, which could be great for trains if I still have the Seaport platform plates. And the 'Small Specialty Pieces' box, which mostly had minifig, funky bits, lights, ect. That could be kicking around too. Though, with the sets I've built recently, Lego's idea of 'Specialty Pieces' has gotten a lot more elabrate since 1999. I'll have to check out the storage at my parent's place and see what can be salvaged.

And finally, I find it interesting how lego's approach to building has changed. Even simple stuff like 'How a truck was typically put together' is pretty unlike what I remember from the 90s. Thanks Lego, you're the first thing that ever made me think 'Back in my day...'. I'm not that old!

So yeah, that's my story. Hi guys. :P

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Once upon a time I had a lot of Lego

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Welcome to Toys N Bricks, thanks for sharing your story.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:36 am

Welcome.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:18 pm

Welcome to T'n'B.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Welcome to Toys N Bricks!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:48 am

Welcome to the fold, AshleyAshes. I, too, have a sob story similar to yours wherein I just dumped a load of LEGO sets from the late 70's through the mid 90's into a couple garbage bags when my father was moving out of our house and gave me a few days to salvage what I could.
AshleyAshes wrote:I'd like to know if there are resources of instructions built around pick a brick so I could build additional train cars that use only parts available from Pick A Brick.
PaB can be real hit-or-miss, there's very little standardization or structure to the program. If you're referring to PaB at LEGO brand stores, it's whatever the managers of the store decide to order out of the parts made available by the company. I don't know how the online selection is decided, I guess it's just the most widely-produced pieces (that's why you don't see many specialty minifigures or printed parts there).
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

AshleyAshes
Peasant
Peasant

Post by AshleyAshes » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:21 pm

It's a reoccuring story. Not just legos, but other toys and video games. I'm sure lots of people look back at having sold their old video game consoles as teenagers to pay for newer ones or games for newer consoles only to go 'Man... I wish I still had my N64 and Goldeneye!'.

When I have kids, I'll make sure to carefully store their stuff so they can have it agian when they're old enough to feel nostalgic... ...Or sell their stuff on eBay and make a mint. :V

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:43 am

Welcome!

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Welcome to Toys N Bricks. Great story by the way!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Welcome to this forum. May you find good deals from us.

Rook
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Rook » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Welcome "back" to land of living. If you're from the GTA drop me a PM. I'll have some info for you about AFOLs that you may be interested in.