Newbie with a question

Welcome to Toys N Bricks. Be sure to introduce yourself here!
LegoMom
I'm New !

Newbie with a question

Post by LegoMom » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Hello -

My family and I have just started collecting Lego products. We started this year with the advent calendar and winter bakery. Was planning on buying either the City House or Beach House after the holiday - had no idea that they were going to be discontinued LOL. Is it common for Lego products to be discounted? Just trying to plan for the future!

THANKS!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Newbie with a question

Post by vynsane » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:01 pm

LegoMom wrote:Hello -

My family and I have just started collecting Lego products. We started this year with the advent calendar and winter bakery. Was planning on buying either the City House or Beach House after the holiday - had no idea that they were going to be discontinued LOL. Is it common for Lego products to be discounted? Just trying to plan for the future!

THANKS!
I'm not sure whether you're asking about products being discounted or discontinued, but either way - yes, it is relatively common for LEGO products to be discounted either in regularly occurring sales or for a clearance to make way for new product. It is also common for products to be discontinued. There are a LOT of sets that have been produced by LEGO that are no longer available for purchase (aside from aftermarket sellers on ebay or BrickLink). So, really, either way the answer is yes! ;)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:03 am

The city house (8403) was a Target/LEGO exclusive, so it most likely had a small run.
The fact that it is no longer on shop @ home(s@h) makes me think they are gone from lego, so you will only be able to get it at any target stores or lego brick & mortar(B&M) stores that still have it.

Also the beach house (4996) has been out for 2 years, so it is at the end of it normal life cycle.

And welcome to the wonderful (and expensive) world of LEGO collecting.
:ugeek:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

LegoMom
I'm New !

Post by LegoMom » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks everyone!!!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Welcome to Toys n Bricks, I know you'll enjoy your stay.

LEGO discontinues their sets as need be, depending on their popularity or the length of the time they've been out. You can usually always count on LEGO continuing a line for a year, and to carry the products for about a year and a half. After that point though they will stop production on those and go to either their next incarnation of that line, or to a completely new theme. Take for example Atlantis. It is currently just finished it's first incarnation, and is now onto it's second. The first incarnation sets are slowly being discontinued but are still available from a lot of places. Slowly they will become hard to find.

As for being discounted, it happens all the time, although LEGO is not the best Sale company in the world. That's why you have to stay on top of the sales and visit Toys N Bricks often. We save people a LOT of money.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

LegoMom
I'm New !

Post by LegoMom » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:36 am

You guys are amazing on this board. I LOVE and appreciate all the help!! Looking forward to building our family Lego collection in 2011!! Let the fun begin!