[REVIEW] 8086 Droid Tri Fighter

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Poor
No votes
Average
No votes
Excellent
100%

Total votes: 5

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[REVIEW] 8086 Droid Tri Fighter

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Indexed

Star Wars
Droid Tri Fighter
Price: $24.99
Pieces: 268

A gift from my girlfriend to me for my birthday (where were all of your presents, I might ask). On sale at Target for $13, quite a bargain for the amount of pieces. This ship is featured a few times in the animated series of the Clone Wars, and for about 13 seconds in the Revenge of the Sith movie. I know this because I watched painstakingly for them in the movie over and over and over until I found them.

Now I'm going to jump right into the review.

Here's the box, fairly standard.

Box

Back of Box

Some pretty lousy action shots. Large flick fire missiles, cool, you can put a droid into the cockpit (FALSE, and I will explain later).

Minifigures

Rocket droids. The commander is the one with the yellow dots. Its not much of a difference but it shows some attention to detail. I also really like their colors.

Like a prison line up...

Their rocket packs aren't too imaginative. Its a pair of binoculars attached to a circular 1x1 dark gray stud. It gets the job done though.

This ship is freaking awesome and is possibly the greatest ship design for anything they have built, largely because it requires a whole different way of thinking about the ship design. It's not a flat plate you build off of, it has its own unique design.

Here's the whole ship.

Here's a close up of the side.

Here's the back. You can see here distinctly how they achieve the three winged shape here. It's basically a helicopter blade.

Here are the large flick fire missiles.

Careful not to get skewered.

I pulled off a few pieces to show you exactly how they make the wings. It's all 1x2 connectors and the same repeated design on three wings. There are gray 'camera' pieces attacked to each on and under that some SNOT 1x2 black bricks and attached in the middle of that is a circular gray canister piece. It's quite a doosy to build.

Here's the 'cockpit' opening here. It usually snaps off instead of opening but guess what? It's not a cockpit! That circle is actually supposed to house a large computer brain that flies the Tri Fighter because the Tri Fighter is one giant droid! If there was a droid in there it would have be hiding out because the Tri Fighter would already be dead in air with no brain.

Here's the final run down on this set.

Would I recommend buying this? Yes. I bought another one of these because I loved the set so much.

Are the pieces good? They are AMAZING. You get so many of the same pieces here and they are all useful to the third power. That's largely why I bought the second set.

Are the minifigures worth it? If you're looking for basically the same minfigures, the Vulture Droid is about $5 cheaper and has all of the same figures except for the commander with the yellow dot. I think that this is a much better set though.

Is this set awesome? Yes, this set is awesome.

I'd highly recommend this set for everyone. It is one of the few Star Wars sets that is actually worth the $25 they are charging for it. It has a unique design, a lot of great pieces and comes with some okay minifigures.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW] 8086 Droid Tri Fighter

Post by funnypeople » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Thanks for the review. How you manage to get this for $13? Thats a steal!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:15 am

You've convinced me - I'm going to pick this up if I see it for a good price. The dark blue, the cool stickers, and all the pieces are a great value - especially on clearance!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:36 am

funnypeople wrote:Thanks for the review. How you manage to get this for $13? Thats a steal!
Target had that huge clearance sale at the beginning of June or so. My girlfriend surprised me with it last weekend. Then Walmart had it on sale for $5 less, so I bought another one after being completely wowed by the first one.

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 am

I've come to really not like the sets that don't have actual minifigs in them, but have tossed the idea of this one around because of the unique features of the ship. I think you've pushed me over the edge too, I'll have to see about that BOGOHO TRU sale this weekend.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:27 am

legitimatealex wrote:
funnypeople wrote:Thanks for the review. How you manage to get this for $13? Thats a steal!
Target had that huge clearance sale at the beginning of June or so. My girlfriend surprised me with it last weekend. Then Walmart had it on sale for $5 less, so I bought another one after being completely wowed by the first one.
my local target still had one or two a day ago.
Your review is pushing me towards going back to see if they still got it
:ugeek:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:14 pm

I just hit my Target and they had a bunch of them, but they were still full price. I'm going to pick up at least one when they go on clearance. Maybe more.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:15 am

vynsane wrote:I just hit my Target and they had a bunch of them, but they were still full price. I'm going to pick up at least one when they go on clearance. Maybe more.
That's the spirit. I think the reason so many people have overlooked this set is that the set really doesn't look spectacular at all on the box. Dark blue and dark gray on a black background. Nothing stands out. Once completed this set is absolutely amazing.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:20 am

legitimatealex wrote:That's the spirit. I think the reason so many people have overlooked this set is that the set really doesn't look spectacular at all on the box. Dark blue and dark gray on a black background. Nothing stands out. Once completed this set is absolutely amazing.
For me it's the pieces, I think. With so many repetitive parts, it's a great 'parts pack'. If I get more than one, I'll probably keep one assembled and mix the others into the 'general populace'... and maybe keep one boxed to sell later.